Help where to go with vintage kit?

my_little_kitty

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning all you knowledgeable folk.

So I find myself with a small room, perfect for a home cinema, so I am keen to set one up.

I've got a pair of old 1980s Mission Speakers which I am quite attached to. And I have some form of vintage Hitachi amp. The sound together is lovely, warm and round.

My question is: do I try and shoe horn these into a surround system of sorts? Buy some rear speakers (and recommendation?) Bluetooth adapter (same).

Has anyone done this with vintage kit and any tips? Or, should I just sell it on and buy a Home Cinema set?

Pros and cons? Really interested in your thoughts always found this forum so helpful.

MLK XX

Come on guys don't let me down... I'm in such a quandry the Mission 700 are a thing of beauty but can they really be brought up to the 21st century??? Xx

I still use Mission 760s for front main speakers and rear surrounds. If you are happy with the sound why change? :) I changed my old Technics stereo amp for an AV Receiver and added a subwoofer and a Mission Centre.

I still use Mission 760s for front main speakers and rear surrounds. If you are happy with the sound why change? :) I changed my old Technics stereo amp for an AV Receiver and added a subwoofer and a Mission Centre.
Hello.. now you are talking!

So yes that was my plan re Mission 700s they look so pretty and they sound spot on.

Couple of questions: do you use stands or wall mount them? And if the latter how do you deal with speaker cable and brackets?

Rear speakers... Any recommendation? Something old and funky, or at least compatible, just wondering if there is anything I need to know.

AV receiver? What is this? Can I just use a bluetooth connecter to my old amp or does that destroy the sound?

Subwoofer, cool I get this. Mission centre, what is this? Any recommendation?

Thanks so much for responding I love this sort of project but know nothing and keen to get the best sound I can! X

My fronts are sat on bookcases so no worries with stands or visible wires.
Your basic home cinema would give you surround sound which is usually 5.1 ie 5 speakers and 1 sub.
3 speakers across the front: left, centre(focusses dialogue)and right and then left and right rear effects speaker. For this you need an amp that can decode the sound track and individually amplify each channel before sending it to your speakers. There's no easy way of adding that to a stereo amp so you would need to upgrade that. That's generally called an AV receiver. Have a look in the classifieds to see if you can find an older model going cheap. For rears I'd see if you can pick up some second hand bookshelves with similar response to the Missions.

I think that is where I posted originally but I think the admin moved it...
Your original post asking much the same question was 12 years ago...

Thanks RB. Although I'm now confused as to the OP's problem, since she should know what she is doing/wanting.

My fronts are sat on bookcases so no worries with stands or visible wires.
Your basic home cinema would give you surround sound which is usually 5.1 ie 5 speakers and 1 sub.
3 speakers across the front: left, centre(focusses dialogue)and right and then left and right rear effects speaker. For this you need an amp that can decode the sound track and individually amplify each channel before sending it to your speakers. There's no easy way of adding that to a stereo amp so you would need to upgrade that. That's generally called an AV receiver. Have a look in the classifieds to see if you can find an older model going cheap. For rears I'd see if you can pick up some second hand bookshelves with similar response to the Missions.
Hello,

That's great thank you. Didn't really understand the .1 in 5.1 so that makes a lot of sense. Cheers re the info for the stereo amp. That's great too didn't realise that altho be sad to see the old one go!

Re threats how do I know what the 'response' is?

How hard is it to 'code' them (not sure what that means either?)

Thanks again appreciate it!!

MLK XX

Your original post asking much the same question was 12 years ago...

Sorry folks not meaning to confuse matters. I didn't implement the surround sound I just have always used the speakers as they stood sound was so good.

Didn't draw the parralel between that and home cinema times have changed now new house kids etc.

Appreciate the advice always learning! MLK XX

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom