Help when buying my first appliances please

Cis4cookie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well me and the gf have finally been able to buy a home so just looking into things we will need to buy.

Soooo many brands of cookers, washing machines and fridges

Over the years my mum has been through loads of washing machines tbh, but whats reliable nowdays

Fridges
Cookers
Washing machines

who to avoid who to look for

i now budget will come into it aswell so lets say £400 max on each

Fridge freezer wise keep away from frost free as they are a royal pita, I would recommend a Hotpoint RFAA52P which are way below your budget and you could put a bit extra into your cooker.
Washer wise take a look into the LG F1289TD, 8 kg load, direct drive, 2 year warranty plus 10 yr on the motor, again within budget.
Cooker wise all I can say is go with a brand that you have heard of, theres a lot of cheap crap that you struggle with spares out of warranty. Just go with the spec you want, ie double oven etc and keep away from with anything with electronic temperature controls.

PS I repair / sell this stuff for a living!

Once you have decided what you want have a look at John Lewis and see it their price is the same or not as they give additional warranty.

cheers for that, well wasger wise we looked at bosch as they do one just in budget, i often see them being used as rental machines which i think is a good thing reliability wise.

Cooker, we looked at a new world old fashioned kind of look about it, i know the brand has been going for a long time.

I actually thought frost free was a better option

Fridge freezer wise keep away from frost free as they are a royal pita
In a friendly way I couldnt agree less. Of course I dont know what happened to you but I have had a number of mid price frost free fridges and freezers in the last 15 years and would never go back. I hate everything getting covered in frost and as the name suggests this stop it happening.

I would check out Appliances Online - Kitchen Appliances - Dishwashers to Fridges - Appliances Direct to Your Door - they have good prices and video reviews of most of the products which is ace. I know I sound like an advert for them but I have used them a couple of times and been happy.

In a friendly way I couldnt agree less. Of course I dont know what happened to you but I have had a number of mid price frost free fridges and freezers in the last 15 years and would never go back. I hate everything getting covered in frost and as the name suggests this stop it happening.

I would check out Appliances Online - Kitchen Appliances - Dishwashers to Fridges - Appliances Direct to Your Door - they have good prices and video reviews of most of the products which is ace. I know I sound like an advert for them but I have used them a couple of times and been happy.

Nothing happened to me, as I said I repair the things!

all advice welcome guys negative or positive, done a little digging and it would seems in my price range a bosch or a gorenje washer is a good choice.

cooker and fridge still unsure of

Gorenje are a good brand for the money, check the warranty as some models come with 2 years and others come with a full 5 year parts and labour warranty which is almost worth the cost of the machine itself!

Start with John Lewis. They don't stock the complete and utter rubbish, and their prices are within 20% of the best that you can get.

Avoid Korean fridges and washing machines like the plague. Although they have attractive warranties you will need to use them and they're not manufacturer warranties, they're just insurance policies with generic toms dicks and harries doing the repairs.

Avoid fridges and freezers with whizzbang features. No icemakers. No water features. They will break. It's worth paying for a frost-free fridge though IMO. Avoid American style jobbies. Buy two separates instead. Avoid built-in. Make sure that you can open the bottom drawer easily. Cheap ones you need to open the door past 90 degrees to get the bottom drawers out. Better ones roll out (on bearings) with the door at 90 degrees, so you can still use it even with the fridge in a corner.

Washing machines take hammer. You want warranty. Tumble dryers also. Again avoid whizzbang features. Worth paying for machines where you can open the door partway through the cycle (sock mode!) and for a decent size (7 or 8 kg nominal) machine so that you can do a duvet in it.

Dishwashers. Buy one that has 3 drawers - a tray just for cutlery - as they're a joy to use.

I ended up buying All Siemens, all white, and all from HiSpek in St Albans. Siemens rather than Bosch or AEG as they had a cashback and 5 year warranty offer on at the time, and HiSpek rather than John Lewis as they offered 0% finance for 12 months. 2 giant fridge freezers, 1 dishwasher, 1 washing machine, 1 tumble dryer, 2370 the lot. (1870 if you just wanted the one fridge-freezer; I've got two side by side as an american style) Not cheap, but not outrageous, and should anything go wrong there's just one number to call to make it go away for the next 5 years. (Siemens)

FF: (was 625-100)
Buy Siemens KG39EAW40G iQ100 lowFrost Freestanding Fridge Freezer with FREE 2 Year Warranty (via Redemption) online, £669.00 Kitchen-Home-Appliances-Refrigeration-Fridge-Freezers - Hi-Spek

DW: (was 530-75)
Buy Siemens SN25M280GB 60cm Dishwasher in White with FREE 2 Year Warranty (via Redemption) online, £529.99 Kitchen-Home-Appliances-Dishwashers-Freestanding-Dishwashers - Hi-Spek

WM: (was 530-75)
Buy Siemens WM14Q390GB iQ300 varioPerfect 8kg 1400rpm Washing Machine with FREE 5 Year Warranty (via Redemption) online, £564.00 Kitchen-Home-Appliances-Laundry-Washing-Machines - Hi-Spek

TD: (was 404-75)
Buy Siemens WT36V395GB iQ300 Vented Tumble Dryer with FREE 5 Year Warranty (via Redemption) online, £454.00 Kitchen-Home-Appliances-Laundry-Tumble-Dryers - Hi-Spek

Bosch/AEG make equivalents, I would wait until one or the other has a good manufacturer cashback/warranty on in your shoes then get the lot in one hit - as when they have offers they really are offers.

Alternatively... ...factory approved seconds. I very very nearly bought these and was umming/aaahing when the Siemens offer came up. You will get a full 5 year warranty from AEG on the WM/TD, in addition to the 1 year warranty from the retailer. They are individually graded and priced, so if you're prepared to accept a scratch on the door rather than the side panels you can have that washing machine for 299 etc. Very quiet machine again worry free for 5 years. Worth visiting his physical shop as they have far more in stock than is listed on eBay. (eBay tends to be the stuff that doesn't fly off the shelves by itself)

AEG L75470FL Freestanding 'A+++' Rated 1400rpm Spin 7kg ProTex Washing Machine 7332543126897 | eBay

AEG T65170AV Freestanding White 7kg Reverse Action Vented Sensor Tumble Dryer | eBay

AEG S83800CTM0 Freestanding 'A++' Rate Frost Free 2m Tall Upright Fridge Freezer | eBay

Cookers? Induction hobs + microwave combi ovens IMO:

These maxisense induction hobs. As fast/responsive as gas; but dead easy to clean and and be used as a normal worksurface when not in use. Pay 350 ex display or 200 for one with a chipped corner (a dab of black silicone will make it disappear) Three rings that you can fit ANY pan on are more useful than four rings that you can't fit four pans on IME.

AEG HK953400FB MAXISENSE 90CM INDUCTION ELECTRIC HOB (BRAND NEW EX DISPLAY) | eBay

These Sharp microwave combi ovens. Buy two and you can have two microwaves, two grilles, or two ovens as required. They warm up MUCH faster and use less energy than most "normal" ovens and the temperature control is better, though the grille is quite small. Microwave base is ceramic and works extremely well as a pizza stone too. Looks like a microwave and you would think it is small but no, these are BIG. 40 litre. Will just about do a goose. The veggies have to go in the other one though! I bought three and have one left as a microwave and two set as ovens.

Sharp R959SLMA Open Box Microwave With Grill 40L Express Cook Defrost Timer 900W 4974019526355 | eBay

Built in with a piece of MDF/some good paint, or hacking up a kitchen unit door (they're 55 cm wide, so fit any "fridge" or "oven" kitchen unit, and are suitable for stacking with their intake/exhaust arrangements) they look an awful lot more expensive than they are. The mother mocked, but prefers my setup to her built-in Neff rubbish at 3x the price. EXCEPT for self-clean. They don't have this unfortunately.

If you're patient, find an old Panasonic Dimension 4 from the late 80s. These had all the above features PLUS a weighing scale, so you just slammed a chicken in and pressed "chicken" - it weighed it and worked out the cooking time perfectly each time. Not popular though (women felt insulted by it, men didn't buy appliances) so they were withdrawn from sale fairly quickly.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
cheers for that mate, think we are going for a bosch on the washer, unsure of model yet

moving day is hopefully within the next month aswell so will be buying them soon

Cooker wise in our budget we are still looking at this new world multi fuel cooker
Buy New World DF600TSIDOM Dual Fuel Cooker, Silver online at John Lewis

fridge freezers, bosch, samsung or hotpoint are the only ones we have seen we like within our price range tbh

I would say Siemens, as they give 5 years warranty on most of there appliances.

And most of Siemens appliances are quality (expensive tho)

Good Luck

You do realise that Bosch, Neff and Siemens are all the same brand dont you?

They are different brands of the same parent company.

Gaggenau
Siemens
Bosch
Neff

plus 5 or so other brands in different regions of the world.

It is worth seeking out where in the world a particular appliance is made - the most reliable of the above are usually made in Germany, rather than other, lesser European countries......

DOBLY said:
They are different brands of the same parent company.

Gaggenau
Siemens
Bosch
Neff

plus 5 or so other brands in different regions of the world.

It is worth seeking out where in the world a particular appliance is made - the most reliable of the above are usually made in Germany, rather than other, lesser European countries......

Yep, I work in the industry. Most german brands manufacture from Eastern Europe, turkey or Asia these days.

AEG
Electrolux
Zanussi

Are also from the same company, and trust me, built in the same factories. Different fascia.same with B/S/H products.

John lewis own brand is also made by Electrolux.

Siemens is a good brand but I would go Neff or Bosch depending on warranty etc

Personally,

Neff or AEG/Zanussi oven (74 litre capacity)
Induction hob rather than gas

Miele washers are the best in the industry and sometimes come with a 5/10 year warranty. Do not buy a washer dryer if possible. Poor life expectancy.

General Washers are designed to be used 3 times a week with an average 7 year life span.

Half this for washer/dryers (double the usage) and take off a year if you live in a hard water area (south-east).

Unbranded hood will suffice but not B&Q style own branded product

Get a frost free fridge. Tec has improved greatly and they are worth every penny. Hotpoint or Zanussi. Do not pay extra for a high branded model.

Bosch or AEG/Zanussi dishwasher

Wouldn't recommend the real cheap products. You usually get what you pay for with white goods

Last edited:
And buy a pyrolytic (self cleaning) oven. They cost more but worth every penny.

Good site site for advice from engineers on what is good and bad Kitchen Appliance | Buying Help | Advice | Guides

re Siemens - the cheap end of their range is made in places like Italy and Spain, the expensive end is made in Germany and is of different quality

I would suggest you have a look around in the stores looking inside the washing machines etc measuring up to see what will fit then have a look around online as you will always find it cheaper there!! I just recently replaced my washing machine and did just that! I found it much cheaper on eBay so brought it from there, they sell all kitchen appliances and its worth a look for the bargains :) hope this helps and good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you have a look around in the stores looking inside the washing machines etc measuring up to see what will fit then have a look around online as you will always find it cheaper there!! I just recently replaced my washing machine and did just that! I found it much cheaper on eBay so brought it from there, they sell all kitchen appliances and its worth a look for the bargains :) hope this helps and good luck :)

And when all the local stores are closed where will you go to look before you buy, support your local high street!

I had to buy all new appliances last year and after many hours of research I ended up with a Bosch Fridge Freezer, John Lewis Washer and Zanussi Tumble Dryer and Cooker. Choice was based not only on aesthetics, but also product rating. Got an A++ fridge for around half price as it had a couple of dings in the side. Check out Marks Electrical for some good deals. I would also stick with frost free as I hate de-frosting the freezer. My last one (a Hotpoint) lasted over ten years with only one repair). John Lewis are great though. I originally bought a washer dryer. Massive mistake. I have a dog and clothes came out hairier than they went in! JL have a 'happy customer' return policy and switched it for two separates no bother. Zanussi cooker was a mistake. I had very limited choice due to space and fuel type. New World was recommended to me (wouldn't fit). Gas hob is handy in case of power-cuts, but gas oven is racking up the energy bills. For a washer choose the best you can with the longest warranty and the lowest water usage (particularly important if you're on a meter). Don't be dazzled by masses of programmes - you'll probably end up only using three or four. Big drums (7kg + are brill though!) it's also more economical with longer programme times. Mine takes 2 hours + for a regular wash, but uses less electric and water. It has a 20min setting if you really need something in a hurry, but tend to use it a lot on the timer so clothes are ready to hang out when I get up in a morning. Anyhow all the best to you both and may you have many happy years of appliance shopping together :)

Make sure you ask for a discount and check your local independents too, as well as online.

I went for Bosch for their top of the range models (Logixx) and got them to knock a few hundred off for a package deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom