1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*HELP* What's up with my Tosh 32zd26?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by RED_Martin, Jan 3, 2004.

1. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Toshiba 32zd26p has tonight appeared to have given up the ghost.

Symptoms: We were watching telly and screen went blank like the standby button had been pushed. Remote was on coffee table. Pressed buttons, nothing happened. Also had no sound.

Turned it off and it came back fine.

Then it happened again. Got it working but now it has seemed to have failed for the last time.

Here's what happens from scratch: Plug into wall, switched on plug point. All good so far. Press Main ON button on TV and get only the red dot in the front centre of unit. So power appears to be ok. TV makes usual degauss kind of noise. Press buttons on Handset and TV but nothing happens.

At this point I left it for awhile. Channel ident appeared briefly, you k'now, like when you change channel it displays in top right-hand corner something like '3 ITV NICAM' then tv switches itself off again. Still have red light!!!!!!

Is it the tube? Have noticed on teletext that the colour RED has been getting darker and darker until its almost invisible!

Sadly, the set was a reduced display model from PowerHouse so I'm guessing something has died from too much use.

Any thoughts? Anything you feel I should try? Any advice on what to do next. Obviously PowerHouse will try to repair it. Should I be aware of any problems in them doing this.

Thanks for any and all help.

Martin.

2. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and before anyone asks. I am still with the one year warranty. By 9 days.

Of course they gave me an extra year when I asked for money off because of a teensy scratch on the top of the unit so I'm well covered.

Anyone have any thoughts for my main post?

3. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This problem is now in the hands of TOshiba themselves as Powerhouse as they are now won't touch anything from Powerhouse as was!

AS I'm still in warranty, Powerhouse suggested ringing Toshiba. Very helpful people at Tosh. Thank goodness.

They are arranging for an engineer to come out ASAP. Any ideas how long typically?

Also, the problem could be anything. Apparently the set shuts itself down when a problem is detected rather than carrying on until breaking. Ain't technology amazing?

4. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    All I can say is good luck and I hope you get a decent size loan set while yours is being fixed. My mate had all sorts of problems with another retailer with a warranty repair/loan sets. The loan set he eventually got is a superb. He does not want his Hitachi back now though.

5. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is interested heres what was up with my set.

The Teletext board was faulty. Engineer dude whipped it out (and the board fnar fnar) and set worked fine.

Awaiting replacement board.

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Good news mate. :clap:
    I'm impressed you got an engineer to do the work on site.

7. RED_Martin

RED_Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ha ha, he was only little. He'd have struggled to lift even one end of the set had it needed to be removed.