1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help! whats the best projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andrew senior, Sep 21, 2005.

1. andrew senior

andrew senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was about to buy my first projector the infocus 4805 when i saw the thread about the flashing bulb problem. now i don't know what to get my budget is up 1000 pounds (the 4805 was 800) it will be mainly used for watching football.please help its driving me mad its so confusing.

2. straitsman1

straitsman1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hiya...we bought a Infocus 4805 approx 2 months ago.....it was in our budget for a pj at that price level you state.....i read a lot of reviews on the web about it before buying it........and its simply 1st class.....this is obviously just our opinion.....but virtually all reviews speak very highly off it.....we have the bulb/pj registered with Infocus as warranty for 12 months.....i say dont be put off...we cant fault it...at its price level...its purely magical viewing :thumbsup: ...Barry
    P.S. We have had no problem with it whatsoever.....go for it :)

3. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I may be wrong (well often!) but I beleive Sky are going to broadcast there football coverage in hidef, so therefore a hidef machine would seem to meet your requirements.

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My mate uses a Panasonic Pt-AE700 for mainly football viewing. It throws an excellent picture, no screendoor or rainbows, with the Lumens you need to watch something with a bit of ambient light.

For under 1K for a footy PJ with a bit of ambient light in the room, I really don't think there's anything better.

5. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    this week its the 700 panny or the Z3, next its the 900 panny and Z4. And on it goes, have a demo of all four.

6. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    The Panny 700 is the only one you can buy at the moment unless you're very quick and can track down one of the last Z3's that remain. :D

Plus the Z4 and panny 900 will be well over a grand once released.

On it goes yes indeed. Better performance for less and less money. Always a good thing.

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm sure there will be a few TX100's still knocking about. Lob 'em out at £800 with a 3 year warranty and free bulb and there would be a stampede!...PJ :D

8. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Never seen a TX100 in action but if it's on par or better than a Z3 you're not wrong.

9. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew,

you have really opened up Pandora's box with that question. Basically mate, you need to make a short list and demo the PJs you are interested in. That is the only way you will ever reach a decision! Everyone you ask will have a different opinion and at the end of the day the only opinion that really matters is your own. The specs on paper only tell half the story, you need to see these PJs in action with your own eyes!

I have a SP4805 by the way, and it IS the best !!!! :) :)

10. stryker

stryker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watching the footy sounds like use with some ambient light. If that is the case it may be fairly important you have a lightcannon of a PJ :)

Mine puts out 1600 lums in full power mode and is more than enough for the footy during the day. So you might want to consider pj brightness and how important it is for you.

11. andrew senior

andrew senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone been to see the sp4805 today it looks great in the shop so i got one need to set it up will report back
    p.s that could take me a few week to work out how to set itup

12. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Stryker, what PJ do you have???

13. joseluis

joseluis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a very good merge.... The Domino 30H and HD850 DVD connected by HDMI cable.