1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - what TV is right for me?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sjrw, Jul 20, 2004.

1. sjrw

sjrw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a new TV, with my wife's blessing too, and I need your knowledge and help.

I want a widescreen TV, 28" but I will consider 32".

These are the important criteria for me...

It's gotta look good
    It's gotta look slim, I don't want great big speakers on the sides. The nearer it looks to a monitor the better. Sound comes from my AV system anyway.
    The stand is important too. It needs to hold Sky+, a DVD player and an AV amp. My wife is not keen on the stands where the legs are chunky.

and my budget is £600, maybe £650 if it's really nice.

So, what do you recommend?

thanks in advance, Simon

2. GlennP

GlennP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 32zp38

Great looking TV with exceptional picture quality.
    Slim design compared to any other 32" - overall width compares to a 28".
    Stand has 3 shelves including the bottom shelf

However cost may be an issue for you - cheapest I've seen on the web is just under £900. This set has 5.1 sound which you don't need if your amp already does this.

IMHO you get what you pay for and it's worth forking out the extra to get a high quality TV.

3. ATarn

ATarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah the wife....
    Well mine bought me a Toshiba Toshiba 32ZP38 last xmas, cos it "looked nice". Excellent purchase - v happy with it.
    All i was really after was a 28" but the 32" is spectacular - it'll make you want to watch TV again!
    As for the 5.1 Dolby, I wasn't really interested in that either - but now I have it I couldnt go back.
    As for the black surround, yes, it does reflect - slightly, but just dim the lights and then your both happy!
    Good luck in your purchase!