1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help what speaker wire to buy

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Samantha, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Samantha

Samantha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya

Please can anyone help me,Ive just bought a set of kef eggs and a Velodyne VX-10 when it arrives but I dont know what speaker wire to get

Any Ideas Please

Samantha

2. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Samantha,

How much do you want to spend per metre ?

and much do you need ?

Ravi

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Things to consider - How long do you need the cable to be? How "good" is your amp?

If you can run to £6ish per metre (maybe £5 - £5.50 if you shop around / haggle) my recommendation is QED anniversary silver.

If you need to go under carpets QED do a pretty good cable (Qudos I think it's called) - I've used up until now for my rear speakers

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The question of how much it is worth spending on speaker cable is a vexed one. See, for example, this thread and also this one. If you want my opinion, the 69p per metre stuff you get from Maplin's is good enough that you won't hear any difference going higher (or rather you will, but it will be entirely down to a combination of the placebo effect and circumventing corrosion on the contacts). But some people disagree.

5. Samantha

Samantha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hiya

My room is 18ft by 12ft so im gonna need a bit of it,Ive no idea how good my amp is it is a technics sa-dx1050 seems ok ive got a cheap 5.1 set up on it at the moment which sounds ok.
    I dont want to be spending the earth but I dont want it sounding naff,Im hopeing it is going so sound better than what I have now mind you it better.

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god for this thread :)

After previously spending £15 a metre for tri-wired Linn cable a few years back, I've just spent 99 pence a metre for my centre speaker & rears :clap:

Dave

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use QED Silver Anniversary for my front eggs (£5/m) and QED Micro (£1.25/m) for the surrounds, and it sounds great.

Your room is about the same size as mine, and I just couldn't justify the cost of running 3 Silver Anniversary cables all around the room. To wire 3 surrounds, it would have cost £150+, so after trawling through these fourms, I decided on the Micro instead.

The Micro is about half the cross-section of the SA, so it's also a lot easier to hide and to bend around corners.

Balders.