1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help What plasma to get

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by billywizzo, Jan 4, 2004.

1. billywizzo

billywizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

Finally saved enough for a plasma and now dont know what 1 to get.
    I am after a 42" with about £3500 to spend.
    Was looking at philips or sony but need help deciding.

Any feedback about the one's u have and if u are happy with them would be good.

Cheers

2. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Mate,

It's all down to personal taste really but you'll find that most people here have a Panasonic, Pioneer or Hitachi.

Myself I have the 50" Panasonic PW6 and am very pleased with it :smashin:

It was a close call between it and the Pioneer but I much prefered the Panasonic's picture. Blacks look very good IMHO whereas the Pioneer seemed a little grey to me. I also like the idea of not having the tuner box as this gives extra flexablity and I don't see the point of a non-digital tuner on a plasma screen.

I was also tempted by the HDMI input on the Pioneer but after seeing the same film via both component and HDMI it did not warrant the extra cost in changing my DVD player also.

I did not look at the Philips models as I have heard bad things about their Pixel Plus technology.

I did look at the Sony screens but I decided from the outset that I did not want an ALiS - interlaced - screen and their floating-glass model was far too expensive and the image showed extreme levels of noise.

Your best bet is to pop along to your local dealers with a couple of your favourite DVDs and see for yourself.

One word of advice I would give you is try to also see the screens showing either Sky or Freeview sources as well as nearly all plasma's will look good when playing DVDs but the quality of digital TV can vary from good to dire. If you go with say the Panasonic you allways have the option of adding an external scaler at a later date which can improve things greatly IMHO.

Hope that's of some help.

Cheers, Lee

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some excellent advice there, I'll just add that the 2 makes you are looking at do not make their own glass, but buy in the most important component from other makers, and I would be most surprised to find that even the mighty Sony can get a better result with Fujitsu/hitachi glass than they can themselves. And you pay more money. Opinion here is sharply divided about the ALIS technology glass used by Hitachi, you really need to see the screens in operation, and read carefully. Do not allow biased and spurious comments from the likes of me to colour your opinion on the glass, but I would IMPLORE you to buy a monitor rather than an integrated TV, for more reasons than I have time to write about.

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw, sorry to be a pain, but I am investigating a plasma purchase and have some ideas of TV vs display. Could you pop down your top 5 imploring reasons?

Ta Rog

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    1. Media box does all your processing whether you want it to or not.
    2. They usually restrict your inputs, for instance the Pioneer 434 has :- 1 rgb scart, 1 s/composite scart, 1 shared RGB scart/component/HDMI, meaning you can only use 1 at a time, at least without a great fuss in the setup menu.
    3. Picture quality is rarely up to monitor spec, too much in the way of the signal
    4 Remote control is a mass of toggle commands and multiple button presses, makes universal remotes very difficult to program.
    5. Here's the one that I need asbestos underpants for, the govt. have said they plan to start the analogue switch off in early 2007. This is 3 years. How long are you keeping this plasma for, and where do you live. If it's south east, you will be 1st to lose the analogue TV. No loss in my view, it's pretty horrid on a plasma, but you've now got a media box with a raft of useless functions.

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw, thanks for the detail.
    I have been looking at the Pioneer 434/504 and the seperate box is a pain. I only have Sky + and DVD on component currently. Might add PC/XBox at some point. I certainly do not watch Analogue TV. I want TV speakers and TV sound even less.

So apart from the serious amount of WAD involved and approval from the bird, I suppose my issues are.

1. Should I future proof for HDMI?
    2. Can I get RGB Scart, Component and PC (analogue or DVI) on a Display that has a great picture for watching TV?
    3. Panasonic or Pioneer?

Rog

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic 42 HD covers all this, Pio. MXE is very close, but the scart input on the panny is reckoned not to be as good as a RGB/vga or YUV converter. YUV is favoured, as many av amps switch it, making remote control a doddle. Even the girlfriend can do it! We generally refer to this as WAF. The panasonic SD has issues with DVI, it still thinks it's an HD. One day it will be sorted out. MXE DVI is great, leaving VGA port free for RGB/VGA converter, just in case you need to.

9. billywizzo

billywizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the feedback.

Been reading up and (dont get upset) might go with the sharp 37 LCD.
    But will be waiting a bit as i need to save more.
    Will keep reading up till i get something so thanks for the info.
    If it was a plasma i think it would be a panny i would get, but want some feedback on the sharp LCD and then decide.

Cheers

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lovely and sharp, resolution excellent, but grey blacks and a few other detail picture problems. And depends what you want to achieve in the end, you are after all back with an integrated TV, naff speakers and all.

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I currently have a Sharp 37" LCD sitting in it's box in my hallway waiting to go back.

Before I bought my Panasonic 50" plasma I bought one of these on impulse as at the time I had just sold my previous TV and projector and was not sure what to get next plus it was at a good price.

I only used it for a few hours when I realised I had made a big mistake.

Luckily they agreed to take the Sharp back and exchange it for the Pansonic. But due to a mix up with the courier I still have the Sharp waiting for collection.

Like MAW has said blacks are nowhere near black and it just does not have the greyscale range that the panasonic has meaning that you loose a lot of detail in dark scenes.

Also it has a very annoying overscan feature which cannot be adjusted. It also does not handle movement as smoothly as the panasonic.

It also did not seem to benefit much from receiving a progressive image either from my Denon 2900 or from my iScan Ultra, don't know why, but the Denon looked better outputting interlaced.

It does have some nice features though. The stand is very nice and allows the screen to rotate. It is also dead quiet, you can hardly tell when it's on. I did not use the attachable speakers so cannot comment on them. But the major plus point has to be that screen burn is a non-issue.

Anyway IMHO it does not in the same league as the Panasonic.

Personally I think that LCD screens have the potential to take over from plasma's but they have not got there yet.

Like I said before do try and see both the Sharp LCD and the Pansonic/Pioneer plasma's before making a decision.

Cheers, Lee

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Couldn't have said any of that any better, loonatic, we are at one.

13. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loonatic you mention the Sharp LCD is very quiet. Does this imply that your 50" Panasonic is a bit above silent?

Rog

14. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Rog,

Yep the panny does come with the standard plasma hum/buzz though it's nowhere near as bad as the Pioneer 433HDE I had previously but the Sharp 37" LCD was deadly quiet - I mean it did not make a sound.

The panny 50" also has two fans which whir when first powered on but then they are not audable at all. The hum/buzz is more constant than it was on the Pioneer which used to change pitch/intensity when displaying a very bright white image.

I really do not find it a problem or obtrosive though and under normal viewing condidtions it's not really noticable.

Cheers, Lee

15. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee thanks for the info. Looking at your setup it is similar to mine.
    Denon A11SR, 2900, Sky + and MX 700. Mission 753,75C, 750 surrounds, M&K K9 Sub and Sony 36" CRT are the differnet bits.

I keep moving backwards and forwards from the Panasonic 50" and the Pioneer 504HDE, with a bit of Fujitsu thrown in on the side. Just cant decide. Need to do a side by side viewing.

I assume the MX700 works well with the Panasonic 50"?

Cheers Rog

16. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Rog,

To be honest I spent the best part of my spare time, and money, last year looking at, buying and setting up various screens and projectors and was never that happy for one reason or another.

I started the year with a Pio 433HDE which was eventually returned after several months and several visits from both Barron McCann and Pioneer themsleves. The screen buzzed very loudly and as I said before this changed pictch depending on the brightness of the image being displayed. As this was my first venture into plasma's the rest of my kit was not really upto the job and this may have been a factor in why I was not happy.

Anyway, my dealer took it back for a full credit but I was then limited as to what I could have as a replacement. I decided to go for the Sony 30" LCD along with the Denon AMP and DVD as in the meantime I had bought a Sony HS10 PJ.

Towards the end of the year I decided that neither the PJ or the TV were really to my liking so sold the TV on eBay and the PJ here. This left me with an AMP and DVD but no screen, hence the impulse purchase of the Sharp 37" LCD.

So what to do now ? well I went out and spent several hours looking at both the Pio 434HDE and the Panny PW6 and was far more impressed with the Panny.

The main reasons were that I liked the idea of no tuner box and the flexability of the panny's slots. Blacks looked much blacker on the panny - everything seemed to be under a hazy film on the pio and it was using HDMI via an 868. The panny has square pixels versus slightly rectangular ones on the pio - I doubt it makes much difference in real life though.

So I took the plunge and bought the panny 50" and it is supurb. Out of all the screens etc I've had or seen it is by far the best IMHO.

The MX700 is a great remote, I much prefer the hard buttons. It works well with the panny but I have not found any discrete codes for it's various inputs yet. It has a button for PC input so you have to use that as a starting point and then cycle through inouts 1 through 3 via a macro.

Cheers, Lee

17. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee, ta for the info. I need to wait for pay day at the end of the month and do some serious comparrisons.

Funny you should mention the 434 vs Panasonic. Me and the bird were in Hi Spek near ST Albans last week and they had a 434 and a 5 series 50" Panasonic on display. The other half imediately said the bigger screen had a better picture. At the time I was gob smacked that she like the bigger screen. However Hi Spek was much too busy for a demo so I got no further.

Now I am off to find some panasonic PDFs of the manuals etc.

Rog

18. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  19. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: