Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help, What hitachi do i want?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by LordNem, Aug 18, 2005.

1. LordNem

LordNem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive placed an order for the PD3200 but i've been informed its not HDTV so im left with this... I know i cannot get HDTV for less than £1499 so ive got the choice

PD3200 (£1,299)
    PD5200H (£1,499)
    PD5300 (£1,299)

the PD7200 is out of my price range...

Guys please help... I want the best for my money... I know they aint HDTV but that will have to do... out of the rest of it which do you think?

Which is better?

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I believe the 5200H is sort of HD ready, in that it does 720, which will be good enough for SKY,I think.
    The other two I can't comment on.

Check the SKY specs.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    At risk of being flamed, none of the above. The only H worth having these days is the 7200, that's if you like that kind of thing. At that kind of money, in the words of the movie, there can be only 1..... it's not a Hitachi.

4. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    MAW is right.

For SD go panny 6, I'm not sure about the 7

The 5200H like I said ,have a look at the specs, might do what you want, HD-wise.

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering , how did you manage to spell Panasonic with an "H"

6. LordNem

LordNem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panny 6?
    whats the make and modle so i can look it up/

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    MAW,
    In your opinion, does the ALIS have a redeeming feature at all?
    I'm only asking because every post you make re ALIS is derogatory, and it gets on my t*ts.
    Is the ALIS all bad and come clean, do you sell them?

I already know the answers, but it makes for balance.

I'm sure you understand :thumbsup:

8. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Lordnem

In my opinion considering your budget the 42PD5200H is best solution. If you could afford the 42PD7200 then that would have been your best choice of value for money, which has also one of the best picture quality around. Forget the 42PD5300 and 42PD3200 if you can get a 42PD5200H.

Here is an answer from Hitachi as requested from someone in this forum re: HD capabilitoes of the 5200H :-

"Thank you for your email.
    There is a difference between the 5200 and the 5200H. The 5200H being HD Ready.
    The 5200 can accept 1080i @ 50 / 60 and 720p @60. The 5200H can accept 720p @ 50/60 and 1080i/60 . It is HD Ready.
    I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK."

As far as I know though the 42PD5200H accepts 720p@50Hz from its DVI input so you would need an HDMI to DVI adaptor cable in case you would need to connect SKY HD Digibox to it.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers :hiya:

9. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Panasonic PWD6

Probably not available now. The 7 is a downgrade, from what I understand.

MAW, will explain better, I'm sure.

10. LordNem

LordNem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very helpful...

ty

might get it tomorrow :D

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    You've lost me, explain mate :confused:

12. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    WHAT?????

The 5200 can accept 1080i @ 50 / 60 and 720p @60. The 5200H can accept 720p @ 50/60 and 1080i/60 . It is HD Ready.

Which is right mate???

I didn't read properly, apoligies

13. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Badger, how many cans have you had? :)

14. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    42PD5200 = 1080i @ 50 / 60 and 720p @60

42PD5200H = 1080i/60 and 720p @ 50/60 thus HD-Ready

Yes that's right. Re: 5200H will accept 720p @ 50Hz from its DVI
    input but not from its cinch component input.

Lordnem: Enjoy your decision in choosing Hitachi

15. kingsize

kingsize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    For God's sake MAW

- the guy was asking about an Hitachi, that's all...

The constant prosletysing of brands is becoming tiresome...

The fact that it is constantly being selected as 'Best Buy' and 'Editors Choice' must cause you no end of irk...

Let's leave this one to the pros - and have a look at this month's mags...

So weary.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The 5200 is NOT hd ready according to the definition, admittedly it might never matter about it's particular lack, 720P@50Hz on component. Fqact is, anyone slapping a HD ready sticker on it is in breach of the trades description act, the definition is categorical. It's poor on RGB scart, though the panel is a lot better than the SD panels I've seen in Hitachi's budget options. Not impressed by the sky picture on the 5200s I've had the displeasure to deal with. Also not impressed with Hitachi customer service, and email replies like that do nothing to inspire me. What else are they hiding? Some members, in fact more than any other make, have been shockingly ill-used by Hitachi, I refuse to sell them on those grounds, not particularly over PQ, which I recognise is a matter of taste.

17. camorra

camorra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I wonder how a big name like Hitachi would be "slapping a HD ready sticker on it is in breach of the trades description act". That is a big doubt. IMHO that would be so stupid!!

Rhus if the screen has the official sticker it has been confirmed to conform to that, so yes, its HD ready.

The 5200 is a pretty good screen, which gave the low budget boys a taste of hi-def when others were still coming to terms with their SD panels!! Though it also gave the Big Boyz a good run for their money. Just read some reviews on the 5000-series. You'll be impressed.

18. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Camorra, whilst I agree the screen is a worthy stab at HD, it is absolutely Gospel about the HD label. I am nitpicking of course, I said so earlier, this may never matter. Fact:- the screen does not accept 720p@50Hz on it's component input. This it must do to wear the HD ready sticker, it's clearly in the definition. All credit to H for making the DVI 50Hz compliant, it's what most people will need to use. I don't dispute it will work with sky's new box on digital, or at least it should do, which is all we can say about any screen right now, (sky's fault if it does not) It will not work with the projected analogue output on early boxes, nor with HD from an X-box 360 with European games. We'd expect US games to be 60Hz, they will work.

19. LordNem

LordNem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thank you for you help ...

What i think i will be doing is buying the 5200H and also buying a HDMI to DVi converter :D Job done...

It will last me a good few years and after that HD will be more avalible

hopfully

Camorra Cheers you been a Really big help

20. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why don't you wait for the new Hitachi 42PD6600? Seems to be a slightly reduced version of the PD7200 (no motorized swivel etc..) But the important features seem to be the same (same panel, boards, sockets).. And its gonna be sold for 2099 euros..!

21. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im getting a bit sick of the Hitachi bashing too.

Bottom line is what other screen which is basically HD ready but without the friggin sticker, can be had for less than £1400 and with a free portable DVD player if bought now? I personally dont give a toss about watching standard TV, if thats why you bought a plasma you are missing the point in my opinion.

I think the 5200H is a pretty decent buy at the moment.I have one and I am immensley happy with the picture from a decent source, DVD shines as do games consoles when the screen is tweaked properly. TV is also fine though I cant do anything about the crap thats on! And Im looking forward to running a U.S Xbox 360 through it too in the not too distant future.

And I had a Panasonic TH42PA50 which went back, and though it was a precious Panny the picture was inferior, it had less features, looked worse and buzzed like a bloody fridge!!!

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good luck to you, mate. Good thing it's not a UK x-box. I'm a bit sick of the Hitachi bashing too, wish they didn't deserve it. TBH I tend to do it for balance, as guys like Camorra are so relentlessly pro H you all need a waring that everything in the garden is not rosy, and no Hitachi are not unique in this. Admittedly you'd not want to search my posts, there's too many, but I have been known to say worse things about other makes, try me on LG! I'm not all in favour of consumer Pioneer either. Nor do I state that Panasonic are without fault. Just Hitachi are a big fat vulnerable target, with known faults and stupid press statements/emails full of tosh really get my back up.

23. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im an avid gamer therefore I would not go near a Pal console. e.g I have a chipped Jap Game cube and US X-box. The UK versions do not support any progressive output though both of these already display 480p on most games and look lovely on the Hitachi.

I prefer to have things cheaper, months earlier and running at 60Hz. Like wise in the UK DVD market why would I want to pay upto 100% more to get movies much later than the US imports?

MAW you didnt answer my question as to what other screen is comparable at the current price of the 5200H??

24. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Didn't see the q, sorry. No at that price there's no HD ready screen I'd buy. Especially as the 5200 is not hd ready. I am personally, though not necessarily in a business sense, comitted to the 'best available' and prefer to do without till I can afford the best. Cars, boats, AV kit, I do not compromise.

25. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats all well and good but not all of us can afford that level of commitment to the 'best available' and have to find the best we can within a budget.

Personally I would love a HD ready Pioneer but with the £1000 plus I saved to buy the more than satisfactory 5200H, I will satisfy some other needs.

26. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    MAW is entitled to his opinion and is dead right to say the PD5200H doesn't conform to the 'HD Ready' standard. No 720p/50hz through component=No HD Ready sticker.The 'HD Ready' standard has only been out a couple of months and Hitachi are already taking advantage of it.They will not have a leg to stand on when hundreds of 5200H owners plug (using the supplied component cable) their brand new Pal xbox360 into it and get a blank screen.That's why this standard was created and that's why the 'HD Ready' sticker should be removed from 5200H packaging and advertisements.

AndreiM, a Hitachi 5200 beating a Panny TH42PA50's PQ- you are kidding right ?

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,088
    LordNem

If the info you have posted from the manufacturer is correct then none of the Displays you highlight are 'HD Ready' as far as the EICTA definition of being 'HD Ready':

EICTA Requirements for the label “HD ready”
    A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the label “HD ready” -

1. Display, display engine:
    The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

2. Video Interfaces:
    The display device accepts HD input via:
    Analogue YPbPr* and DVI or HDMI.

3. HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
    1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (“720p”), and
    1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)

4. The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)
    * “HD ready” display devices support analogue YPbPr (component) as a HD input format to allow full compatibility with today's HD video sources in the market.

If the Display lacks support for any one of the Digital signals in point 3 it is not 'HD Ready'.

If your looking for a 42" Panel that is compatible with all of the 'HD Ready' signals and you don't have a requirement for using the Display as a PC screen then you may be better to consider the NEW TH-42PWD8 Display from Panasonic; it lacks the 720 horizontal rows of pixels to be considered 'HD Ready' but it does work with all the required signals and looks excellent with 720P and 1080i material.

The PWD8 with an HDMI Board is also pretty close to your indicated budget.

Best regards

Joe