Help - What exactly is wrong with my CXA80?

Wilkeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just wondered if someone can help me with an intimitant problem with my amp. When I first turn it on, after a minute or two I'll get a loud pop from the speakers even if there's no music playing. It even does it when the volume is turned down as well and it really doesn't sound plesant for the speakers!

It tends to only do it once and then it works as it should however today it did it around 3 times in the space of 5 mins. It does however now and again go into DC protection mode and the front lights flash (probably does this once a fortnight). There's no real explanation in the manual what causes it or a fix. What could be the problem, the extension lead maybe? Iv check all cables and they're all in great condition etc 🤔

Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

@Wilkeh

Moved here.

Double check that you have no wires touching the body of the amp from the binding posts as it does sound like a shorting problem. That could also be on the inside of unit when it starts to heat up, something expanding inside or a relay beginning to fail so causing the popping noises.

If the unit is still under warranty then I would return it, especially if you have the RS Six year one. If still guaranteed then do not attempt to take the unit apart.

Appreciate the reply thanks mate but I bought this second hand a couple of years ago. It's been absolutely faultless until recently 🙂 I'll keep digging into it

Circuits and solders dry out, expand and crack a little, due to use and age. It may be worth you having look for any damage inside, discolouration or disfigurement of caps. I'm useless so take anything that needs looking at to a local repair shop.

As @gibbsy says, I’d first check speaker cable connection if you are using bare wire connection and not banana plugs, check for stray wires touching the case or between the terminals. However, I suspect it is a failing relay or capacitor in the speaker protection circuit. As you push the on/off button the power is applied to the main amp which can send a popping noise through the speakers, most amps have a circuit which disconnects the speaker terminals for a couple of seconds before connecting them.

If it continues I’d get it checked out by a Hifi service centre/electrician.

As @gibbsy says, I’d first check speaker cable connection if you are using bare wire connection and not banana plugs, check for stray wires touching the case or between the terminals. However, I suspect it is a failing relay or capacitor in the speaker protection circuit. As you push the on/off button the power is applied to the main amp which can send a popping noise through the speakers, most amps have a circuit which disconnects the speaker terminals for a couple of seconds before connecting them.

If it continues I’d get it checked out by a Hifi service centre/electrician.

So I've taken it to a local repair dude near me and he reckons the capicitors have gone bad and quoted me £300 to fix. For that money I may as well buy brand new with warranty right?

Any idea what it's worth in it's current state? I could sell to someone who knows what they're doing

Well there's nothing wrong with it now, plugged it all back in after visiting the repair dude and it work's faultlessly now :D

Must have been a dodgy cable or something. Sounds terrific again

Thanks for the help though folks, much appreciated :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom