Help, what do I need to record from Virgin?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apk1, Sep 21, 2007.

1. apk1

apk1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to replace our VCR, and not sure what we need.

We have 37" lcd, and currently use Virgin Digital through Cable, I was originally looking at something like the Humax 9200 pvr with twin tuners, but believe this can't record from cable only freeview through the aeriel.

I like the idea of being able to record and watch something previously recorded, or even use timelapse/slip.

If I go for a hdd/dvdr combo, will I still be able to do this? presumably I will be able to record from either cable on the DVD or freeview on the HDD ?

Finally what would you suggest equipmentwise ? I had been looking at the panasonic DM77.

I am not too concerned about the price within reason, and would rather have quality that will last than something I will be looking to replace in 5 years.

2. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    firstly, have you looked into the V+ service from Virgin? it's just like Sky+ except you can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd channel all at once (whereas Sky+ only lets you record 2 but you must watch the 2nd one you are recording, or something you've already recorded).

if you want to record from cable, you just need a dvd recorder and connect it to your tv and to the cable box with a scart lead. then you switch the recorder to AV2 and press record (if you change the cable channel though, you'll record whatever you change it to).

if you get a dvd recorder with built in freeview and hdd, then you can record from cable, and either watch something on dvd (if recording to hdd) or watch something previously recorded on the hdd or a dvd, at the same time.

or you can record from freeview and watch cable, a dvd, or something already recorded on the hdd, at the same time.

or you can record something and watch it while it's still recording.

so if you bought a dvd recorder with a hdd and freeview tuner, you have a few options on what you can watch while you record from either cable or freeview.

but maybe V+ from Virgin might be worth looking into if you want to watch and record different cable channels at once.

the front runners as far as i know of in terms of hardware are the Panasonic DMR EX77 (i have this one) or EX87 (77 has 160GB hdd, 87 has 250GB) and the Sony HDX 870 or 970 (same again, 870 has 160GB hdd, 970 has 250GB).

the Pana EX77 can be bought for around £230, the 87 around £290, the Sony 870 maybe around £250, the 870 around £300.

the Panasonics don't play DivX encoded material (the Sonys do), while the Sonys don't record to RAM discs (the Pana's do).

they both record to + and - format DVDs.

all 4 models i've listed can be bought in silver or black finish, the black ones generally being cheaper than the silver ones.

3. apk1

apk1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MuksC, so effectively the dvd works similarly to an old video, and then the HDD/Freeview does all the slick stuff ? such as pausing etc?

I have looked at the V+ but feel that for £150 + £5pm I may as well buy my own unit which can do the same, I will then not be tied to virgin.

Final question (for now !!) what is divx?

4. srhill

srhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I thought the V+ was free - but you were effectively only borrowing it - so if you de-subscribe they take it back - fair enough really.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    Just to be clear... There are two different types of so called 'pause live TV'.
    True pause live TV is usually found on PVR's, but some DVDR's have the facility.
    They continuously and automatically record whatever channel the unit is tuned to, in a self-replacing buffer, usually about 2 hours long.

DVDR's usually have instead a 'Chase live TV' system which effectively does the same as above, but does not do it automatically: You have to manually invoke a recording. Thereafter you can navigate to any point in the recording from the moment it was started up to the present ... and pause it anywhere if required , whilst the recording continues.

Yes a hard disk allows this , but on units that can record on RAM disks [ Panasonics ] Chase Live TV can also be done on RAM discs.

DivX is a highly compressed form of video which is usually delivered to a PC , harvested from the internet. Usually they have to be delivered to the machine via disc burned on a PC.

6. apk1

apk1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input, I bought the Sony 870 yesterday.

7. MuksC

MuksC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    cool. let us know how it goes, and if you have any problems we might be able to help with.