1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help--What amp and speakers to buy for £700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ben1, May 2, 2005.

1. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As above anyone got a good solution please

ps cd sound more important than movie sound 65/35

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    If cd is more important to you than movies then I think £700 will not be enough for brand new equipment. However, if you are willing to shop around you may be able to pick some ex-dem/second-hand equipment within your price range.

Consider the Marantz 4500 which goes for ~£350. Tbh I can't think of any decent musical 5.1 speakers for around £350. You may have to buy part of the setup and complete it once you have the more funds. Are you thinking of floorstanders or sub/sat?

3. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks m8 :thumbsup:
    Will consider second hand
    Preferably wanted more than 80w (think thats marantz 4500 power)
    I have got more to spend if necessary (sounds like it is) as I don't intend to change this setup for a while.
    May aswell get it right first time eh!
    What if I spend £1000-£1200? :D

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    It really depends on what you're looking for in your room i.e. floorstanders or a sub/sat system.

However, Monitor Audio are replacing their silver series with a new RS series. Many dealers are selling off equpiment at reduced prices - this maybe something worth looking at.

5. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Newbie here (buying my first system) but how about this:

Amp:
    Yamaha RXV640RDS: £250

Speakers:
    Canton CD1 package (special offer for these forums): £240 inc. delivery
    includes:
    4 x CD10 satellites + centre speaker (all 45-80 watts, 80Hz - 25KHz)
    subwoofer (50-100 watts, 33Hz - 140Hz)

Pair of Canton C100 tall front satellites (70-120 watts, 50Hz - 25KHz) £280 inc. delivery

TOTAL: £770

This Canton stuff is supposed to be top notch, and the CD100 speakers are an excellent upgrade to the standard ones. If you did this you may want to consider getting the better centre speaker (the CD50) because the improved front speakers could drown the standard centre speaker out?

If you have a word with Jake who sells the Canton package here, maybe he would replace 2 of the CD10s for CD100s, which would bring the price down a little? See this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=195561

6. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both of you for options. :clap:
    I would prefer to go down sub/sat route for my room if i dont have to sacrifice quality.
    What do you guys think are best sound canton/monitor audio sliver?
    Also still open to more suggestions as i can research them all later today. :thumbsup:
    Thanks again guys :D

7. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    And I am thinking perhaps just a plan stereo setup.

Something along the lines of a Rotel RA-02 into B&W DM602S3.

What will you be using as a source?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    how about a pair of B&W 602S2 S/H an LCR60 pick up a pair of rears (ELatx HT2 or MS bipolars) and a denon 3801 AMP all second hand add a sub when funds allow B&W ASW500 or similar S/H nearer £1000 but would have cost £3k a few years ago and a killer system

9. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late reply guys but I've been working long hours :(

Harry T2:
    I take it in your opinion I will not get the sound quality Im looking for in a sub/sat package.
    I would prefer to have surround set up and after reading about Rotel RA-02 I notice it only has 40w per channel capabilities.
    (i currently have 100w per channel in my technics seperates and don't want to pay out more money and lose power)
    I also need a source that is why I was thinking DVD player, amp and speakers(sorry should have mentioned that earlier folks)

Horny Dragon:
    I also take it in your opinion that sub/sat cant get near the quality/volume of bigger speakers.
    Thanks for your suggestions, have read up denon 3801 (it gets great reviews )
    You seem very knowledgable and without meaning to insult your suggestion, Do you think this would make for a good balanced set of speakers (not drowning eachother out and sounding good together although being different brands etc)
    Also do you think you could suggest a good DVD player as a source please m8 or does it need to be CDP.
    I,ve recently been offered
    sony strdb940(ex demo)
    sony dvpns900v (new)
    sony save835 5.1 speakers(ex demo)
    all for £500-Would this come close to rivalling your suggestion?
    Thanks again mate. :smashin:

Also I'm still grateful for any other suggestions anyone.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    rotel RA-)2 has alot more power than most setero amps.(watts do not equal volume) have a look at the bit afte rthe watts rating Technics Sony kit is typically rated at 10%THD (unlistenable) HK, Rotel etc often quote 0.07 or even 0.01 % THD BIG difference. And there are reasons why i suggested the kit i did..............having tonal match across teh front 3 is very inmportant and across the rear 2/3/4 but using different (but equally good) rears is not an issue if you want good music you need full size fronts (floor or stand mount) with a powerful amp (the denon is OK for stereo from an AV amp) but ideally you would a power amp for the front pair eventually anyway.

11. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply HD
    Technics speakers say 6ohms-input 100w-music 50w DIN
    Sorry to be a complete av equipment retard but have a couple of questions for you

1. Watts dont equal volume what does?(i've been misguided on that one for years)
    2.What is THD?
    3.I take it the sony eqiuipment i been offered is not good.
    4.I am struggling for space in my room and would prefer to wall mount speakers - Is this possible with standmount speakers?
    Thanks

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    1: Watts is a very odd measurement it is supposed to mean power but the HiFi industry has twisted it to sell micro system for years... DIN is a european (German?) standard look it up, RMS is a better measure but also gets twisted.
    2: THD Total harmonic distortion (the amount the music is distorted 10% sounds useless just noise. 0.07 is decent!)
    3: depends on price..................
    4: wall mounts are far from ideal for HiFi as the speakers need a solid base but there are some decent speakers that can be wall mounted (speaker design for close to wall use differs to free space use)

If you are looking for small speakers with big sound you will need a SUB. could conside something in between (canton 360F and AS25SC or perhaps CD100 and AS22SC if you are skinted)
    Need to demo the system tho before spending...........

13. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again hd
    Sony gear was for £500 but don't think i'll bother if 10%THD.As mentioned earlier will spend more to improve on current system or no point spending hard earned.

few more questions if u have time m8
    1.What THD are cantons u suggested?
    2.Will either/any set of cantons match or beat the likes of B&W 600 series you suggested earlier?
    3.Are cantons better than kef eggs?
    4. What decent wall mountable speakers are there?
    5.Do you know antwhere I can audition all/some of the above (I live between chester and liverpool)?
    Thanks again

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Best advice i can give you is to forget reading the specs, go listen to some kit..............

15. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I only suggested the stereo option as I thought it was a better "fit". I also prefer the idea that sometimes quality is better than quantity (ie better speakers rather than lots of speakers)..

Yes, Watts are not in indication of volume. As a "rule of thumb" you need double the power to increase the volume by 3dB. Much more important is the speaker sensitivity. Comparing two speakers, one rated at 90dB/W and another at 84dB/W, the lower sensitivity speakers requires 4 times the power to reach the same volume. Again this should not be the main criteria (speaker sensitivity) in selecting your system.

16. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok HD will do when I get time?

Thanks Harry T2 but I would like surround sound also.
    Have jusy set up my old technics amp,tuner and speakers sounds pretty good with music but surround is muffled.
    What do you think of me getting two wall mountable large fronts and some rears and a centre?
    Also still open to other suggestions guys :thumbsup:

17. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Ben1

I've not heard the cantons etc but I've just had delviery of some Orb Audio Mod1's and I use a Harman Kardon AVR 630.

I have taken the orbs to 2 audio shops and compared them against the Anthony Gallos's and all I can say is wow - each shopkeeper conceded that the Orbs (at around £100 a speaker) were better than the A'Divas at around £300 a speaker).

I don't work for Orb or anyone but all I can say is they are awesome - don't know where you are in the world but could let you listen to them if it helps.

The Harman Kardon is £1,000 new and in my opinion very underrated (my 2 channel system is Musical Fidelity X150 and Xray V3) - I don't think the UK press like the yanks much!

If you get the chance do try them - oh by the way, the Monitor Audio stuff is stunning for 2 channel (I use the Silver S6 and have struggled to replace them although may be forced to shortly!).

I have sent you a PM.

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the 630 isnt bad for the money excellent AMP circuits lacks the video capabilities of the Japaneese kit (and not a patch aon the AVR8500!) have you got a link to the orbs?

19. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  20. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to get out to demo some systems guys but working far too hard at the moment to fund this purchase so i am still grateful of any suggestions, advice and opinions

gsrai

Thanks for pm have replied by pm
    Orb audios look great, how do monitor audios compare to the orbs (quality and volume)?
    Thanks loads for offer of audition of your quality setup, I may take you up on it in the near future but am currently working 7 days :(
    (you're in birmingham?)

hornydragon

link to orbs http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2
    thanks again for your valued opinion.
    how does avr630 compare to marantz sr7500, denon 3805/2805 and others near its price range (would it run something like orbs as well as hk)
    also what good wall mountable speakers do you know of if i find that sub/sat don't compare to full size
    (floorstanders and standmounts are a last resort as i have no space in my stupid room layout)

lynx

Thanks for the link m8 do you know if i could wall mount these and would they sound better than good sub/sats

again thanks for posts guys :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup:

21. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I'm actually in Wolverhampton (north of Brum!).

22. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Sorry for the delay in responding - the link to Orb is:

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp

You're right on the AVR630 but thats why I bought, I beleive in keeping things simple and didn't want the video switching stuff. The other motive was to have an amp that would ease the pain when I eventually sell my MF gear.

23. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gsrai

could you please tell me how the orbs compare to your monitor audios (quality/volume)?

thanks

24. OneDesi

OneDesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Ben1

Sorry I thought I had answered this - must be getting confused.

If you want music first then I would say the Monitor Audios beat them hands down. The Silver series is a full size floorstander and a very bright sounding one (metal drivers etc.) and goes great with my MF gear. Having said that, the Orbs are a great compromise - great soundstage, brighter than the gallos but I imagine the laws of physics must get involved somewhere (Even though it is surprisingly late!). I prefer the Orbs to the Kef eggs (sold those a while ago - not musical at all IMHO) and I reckon with a good sub you can't go wrong.

Having said all that I have decided to sell my Monitor Audio Centre speaker as a compromise with the missus.

In conclusion, both are bright speakers and I would say you should accomodate the big speakers if you can but this is not always possible (this is IMHO even though I am trying to sell my MA Silver LCR centre speaker on this forum for those of you who may think I have a vested interest in pushing the MA's - I'm not like that!).

Hope this helps.

25. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your honesty gsrai
    unfortunately this is what i expected to hear as i haven't got room for floorstanders or standmounts as they would have to go either side of my 28" tv and that puts one in a doorway as i have it in an alcove. :thumbsdow

26. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another person here who's just received a set of Orb speakers.
    I'm extremely impressed with them, but I would echo what's been said : they are not as capable as my B&W DM603s, but then I wouldn't expect them to be.

Having tested them for a while, they got much better as I tweaked the settings on the amp and the sub. I'm pretty sure that I could get them approaching the sound of a set of floorstanders with time and a very good sub.

I will say that for the size, they are staggering. They are intended for my new house when I move, and I fully expect people to be blown away by the sound that comes out of these tiny units.

PS : I bought a custom set with 2 orbs each for front stereo and centre, and single orbs for rear stereo and center rear.

Service from Orb is brilliant, and with the dollar so weak at the moment they are an absolute steal.

I've got some pictures if anyone would like.

27. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    woz
    thanks for confirming gsrai's review on the orbs you both seem v. happy with them.
    quick question though what amp&source are you using and is the supplied sub not up to much then or were you just saying if you spent about £500 on a sub you would have the orbs approaching the sound of a set of floorstanders?

28. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry - I should clarify : I didn't buy a sub as I had one already, although mine is old and possibly not up to the job. It's a Kef 20b.

29. ben1

ben1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that woz
    what amp&source are you using m8?

30. Woz!

Woz!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oops!
    I'm carrying on the same discussion on the DVD forums, so I forgot I hadn't posted it here.
    The amp is a Yamaha A5...the DVD player, er, not sure right now as I'm at work.