Help, what amp and speaker for Arcam DV29

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Member 678611, Feb 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Member 678611

Member 678611
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have an arcam am DV29 that I bought from new though I need advice on a good amp/tuner and speaker for HIFI use.

2. dazmb

dazmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    For Arcam CDP's I would suggest not amplification that is too warm or fat as the Arcam CDP sound is itself a bit like that. I always think it best to go opposites with the source tone and the amp / speaker tone. So something a bit leaner to counter balance the Arcam CDP sound - Rega goes well, and NVA amps also match lovely.

3. Member 678611

Member 678611
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great thank you, I was hoping to put something together that will sound great and at the same time take advantage of second hand values, is there any particular models of Rega or NVA i should look at. I don't play music party loud, and speaker wise probably looking at something book shelf size maybe bigger. Your help is greatly appreciated.

P.S Room size 30ft x 15ft

4. dazmb

dazmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well it sounds like your music volume preference is similar to mine. So I would suggest you stick with this setup:

Rega Brio R + Rega RS1's + Rega Couple V2 Interconnect and Rega Duet Spk cable. That is my current setup and you can't go wrong. It's all top notch stuff and most importantly of all it's all designed to work together in perfect synergy - something that you can't put a price on as it stops the £ sapping nonsense of 'upgraditis' that you get when you have gear from different manufacturers. Shop around at Rega dealers (+ check for demo models / 2nd's of RS1 with minor cabinet marks) and you should be able to get that setup for <£1k. The Brio R is well known to be fantastic (check for toroidal hum though as it can be an issue with Rega amps), and both it and the Couple interconnect have been voted as editor favourites in US Absolute Sound magazine 2014 awards (like US WHF only with credability :) )

I doubt you will be unhappy. I loved the combo of my DV139 with the Rega sound. A very good match IMO. The Rega Elicit R is warmer and less energetic than the Brio R, so stick with the cheaper amp.

5. Member 678611

Member 678611
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Brilliant thank you, what's toroidal hum ?

6. Member 678611

Member 678611
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I were not to use my arcam DV29 is their another CDP you would recommend to go with your suggested set up, ideally with not such a large cabinet Cirus ?

7. dazmb

dazmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I can't say about other CDP's except I don't like the Cambridge Audio CDP sound based on my week or two with the CA751 Uni player and it's pointless upsampling and filters. And I do like my new Oppo 105 sound using the Sabre 32 dacs - the same dacs are used by Musical Fidelity CDP's so that might work too. But I have been an Arcam user for the last 5+ years so that is my main recollection of CDP sound / tone. I did have a Cyrus analogue stage tuned Limit DVD player that was also nice to listen too.

Toroidal hum is the sound of humming from either / or the actual transformer in the amp or through the speakers. Both Rega and Naim amps have this problem at the moment.

8. ajex

ajex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I pair my FMJ 139 with Yamaha a-s500 & Dynalog DM 2/7 and sounds fantastic....Rega RS1 was another option I explored though I have a middle size room so DM 2/7 filled them better..

This conclusion after several iterations ...