Help! What am I doing wrong?

flamenco

Standard Member
My Sony 4K smart TV arrived yesterday. Trying to connect Denon Av amp, Virgin media TiVo, Pioneer Blu Ray so it works together is defeating me. The Denon is HD, rather than 4K (and I know, in need of an upgrade) and the HDMI out is not ARC. If I switch the AV amp from the sat/cab input to HDP (the Pioneer) I get a message on the TV saying “HDMI settings are reset because a new HDMI device is connected. It is recommended to execute the Setup Navigator from the setup screen to change HDMI settings.” So is there a way of watching and hearing the Pioneer player on the new TV? And should I just ignore the ARC HDMI for now?

I have Amazon prime, Apple TV and Netflix all working from their apps on the TV but the sound is the telly itself. How can I hear that through the Denon Instead?
Sorry to appear so dim, but I can’t find the dummies guide - the ones I’ve seen seem to start on page 4 and I’m failing to understand the principles behind how this works together.

The only thing physically connected to the TV is the Denon.

My Sony 4K smart TV arrived yesterday. Trying to connect Denon Av amp, Virgin media TiVo, Pioneer Blu Ray so it works together is defeating me. The Denon is HD, rather than 4K (and I know, in need of an upgrade) and the HDMI out is not ARC. If I switch the AV amp from the sat/cab input to HDP (the Pioneer) I get a message on the TV saying “HDMI settings are reset because a new HDMI device is connected. It is recommended to execute the Setup Navigator from the setup screen to change HDMI settings.” So is there a way of watching and hearing the Pioneer player on the new TV? And should I just ignore the ARC HDMI for now?

I have Amazon prime, Apple TV and Netflix all working from their apps on the TV but the sound is the telly itself. How can I hear that through the Denon Instead?
Sorry to appear so dim, but I can’t find the dummies guide - the ones I’ve seen seem to start on page 4 and I’m failing to understand the principles behind how this works together.

The only thing physically connected to the TV is the Denon.
If your AVR does not have ARC, then you cannot use an HDMI cable to connect it for sound as it has no way of receiving it. - you will need to use an optical cable from your TV to the Denon.

With regard to the Blu ray, it sounds like you need to go into the Sony's settings menu and alter the HDMI input settings. I don't have a Sony, but I believe they have some funny HDMI settings.

Error.

flamenco

Standard Member
Thank you. So should I have my virgin media box going into the TV through HDMI? At present is is going into the Denon and the Denon then going back to the TV.

Thank you. So should I have my virgin media box going into the TV through HDMI? At present is is going into the Denon and the Denon then going back to the TV.
I assume that it is working fine as currently connected? In which case there is no point connecting directly to the TV.

flamenco

Standard Member
Well, it works - showing the TV channels - but if I try to turn the Denon to showing the Blu Ray player like I did last week before I changed the TV, I get an error message as above. I want the sound from the Blu ray, and the Apple TV app and the Netflix and Amazon app to come through the Denon. I can only get the TV sound atm.

Well, it works - showing the TV channels - but if I try to turn the Denon to showing the Blu Ray player like I did last week before I changed the TV, I get an error message as above. I want the sound from the Blu ray, and the Apple TV app and the Netflix and Amazon app to come through the Denon. I can only get the TV sound atm.
Have you connected up an optical cable yet from your TV to your AVR?

flamenco

Standard Member
Well I did, and on trying to switch the Denon to the optical input for audio, I got the same error message. I have taken the optical lead out now.

flamenco

Standard Member
In switching the Denon to the input (it was DVD for the optical) it must be doing something with the HDMI output which the TV is rejecting?

Well I did, and on trying to switch the Denon to the optical input for audio, I got the same error message. I have taken the optical lead out now.
You also need to set up your TV to output audio via optical. The error message you refer to was related to HDMI sockets, it has nothing to do with using an optical cable.

flamenco

Standard Member
Ok thank you. Should the Denon automatically play the audio input from the optical lead without me having to tell it? When using the optical link before the tv upgrade, it was the sound from the AppleTV box, so I had to tell the Denon to play sound from the DVD (my chosen input for the optical cable) whilst displaying the Apple TV on the telly through a different HDMI input.

John7

Since you AVR does not support 4K or ARC, you will need to connect all devices that "expect" a 4K compatible device direct to the TV (or reconfigure them to 1080P). Then you would take the TV's audio via it's optical out to the AVR.

In this case, your TV will do the playback device selection/switching and the AVR will stay on whatever input is connected to the optical output of the TV.

You will not have any ability to get HD audio formats, such as HD MA or DTS Master, or Atmos until you get an AVR that can support 4K and has an ARC HDMI connection

The latest video from AVForums

Sony A90J & A80J OLED and X90J & X95J BRAVIA XR TV Line-up & Features: Sony Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom