help wet sky box

J

jarael

hi my toddler has just spilt her cup of juice onto my sky box. i have just turned it all off at the mains as the red light was flashing. will it work again in a few hours after its dried off? or will i have to get a completely new sky box?
i have an old box, would this work with my existing card?

Vonzack

Standard Member
As long as it wasn't damaged before you switched it off it should be OK after it dries out.

I would disconnect everything from it, turn it over in your hands to make sure there isn't any water standing in it and leave it to dry.

Hope it's OK.

GaryB

Distinguished Member
It's unlikely it will survive that if the juice went onto the main PCB. Even if it works when you switch it on (and I wouldn't advise you do until it's been properly checked) the acid in juice usually eats away at the coppper and other metals and will probably cause long term problems.

neilmcl

You can help matters by opening up the box to allow it to dry out completely, also you'll be able to see just how much liquid has entered the box.

gavan

Novice Member
GaryB said:
It's unlikely it will survive that if the juice went onto the main PCB. Even if it works when you switch it on (and I wouldn't advise you do until it's been properly checked) the acid in juice usually eats away at the coppper and other metals and will probably cause long term problems.

Once the box is disconnected and opened up, it might be an idea to spray the affected parts of the PCB with distilled water and wipe clean, leaving it to dry slowly over several days at room temp.

Digiboxes aren't that expensive, so not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom