Help watching Football! UK BT Set Top Box with a USA TV

t21wolves

Novice Member
I'm hoping someone can help me set up my BT TV service with my TV from the USA. I've moved here temporarily, making it not cost effective to purchase a new TV.

I know UK signal is PAL/50 Hz and USA tv is NTSC/60 Hz. I purchased a device that I thought would convert the signal (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RPS1W95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1; on Amazon - eSynic 1080P HDMI to RCA Adapter and HDMI to HDMI Video Converter with 3.5mm Headphone and Power Adapter Support the PAL/NTSC Switch Function for PS4 Apple TV XBOX and Various HDMI Source Devices), but the TV still displays an error that it can't display.

I'm sure the BT box works, as I've connected to a computer monitor.

I suspect I may have purchased a product that wasn't what I needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oion78

Standard Member
Have you tried plugging your BT box directly into your TV? I'm sure PAL/NTSC is only relevent to old analogue signals

oion78

Standard Member
Check that your TV can play back [email protected], I can't imagine it doesn't unless maybe if it's a US only brand such as vizio.

Also you could try a different HDMI input and different HDMI cable.

t21wolves

Novice Member
The TV cannot play at 50 Hz. That is what I'm looking for help with - I thought the digital converter I purchased would accomplish this, or if not then what is the correct digital converter?

I have used multiple HDMI cables/inputs.

jwsg

Looking at your link I can see it mentions a 60p output, implies conversion between PAL/NTSC and upscaling from TV to 1080 res, but not explicitly a 50p / 50i input and therefore framerate conversion

scarty16

The MINI AV2HDMI converter is a universal converter for analog composite input to HDMI 1080p (60HZ) output. The analog to digital conversion in this module employs 10 bits maximal 162MSPS sampling, black/white level expansion, color transition improvement, dynamic range expansion, blue stretch, auto-detect and auto-convert the composite signal to 1080p(60HZ) output. Making video come alive, delivering the sharpest, most realistic HD visuals available.

jwsg

The link in OP is to a box with HDMI in to RCA AV + HDMI out, hoping I think for 50i or 50p in to be converted to 60p out. Perhaps it can up/down scale but not convert framerate.
I can remember from times past that our TVs are often multistandard but US ones werent. As this prob might affect many sources in the same way it might be best in the end to budget for a UK TV.

t21wolves

Novice Member
The link in OP is to a box with HDMI in to RCA AV + HDMI out, hoping I think for 50i or 50p in to be converted to 60p out. Perhaps it can up/down scale but not convert framerate.
I can remember from times past that our TVs are often multistandard but US ones werent. As this prob might affect many sources in the same way it might be best in the end to budget for a UK TV.

Yes, I think that sums up the problem - thanks for clarifying, because I mistakenly thought the product I linked would convert 50->60 Hz. Are products available that accomplish this (50->60 Hz conversion)?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom