Help wanted with on or in wall speakers

gnasher666

Hi all,

I will have to decorate my lounge soon as I'm having some work done and I'm going to take to opportunity to declutter my AV setup. Well that's the plan.

My current setup, which I have no issues with sonically, is a pair of Kef Q900 fronts, a Q200C centre, a pair of Q100s as rears and a MA Silver W12 sub conected to a Yamaha RX-3050. The "issue" I have is that I don't want to see all these speakers any more and want something that sounds at least as good but is a little more discrete.

My room is just over 6M long and 3.6M wide and the sofa is about 3 meters away from the front wall / TV and just under that from the Q900s. The speakers are used about 80% of the time for listening to TV/movies and 20% for music.

Although I would love to audition some speakers it's not easy currently although I'd be willing to travel when we are allowed again.

I've looked at the Dali Phantoms M-250s as LCR, some Phantoms E50s as overhead speakers (may as well run 5.1.4 as the amp supports it) and maybe the Dali Oberon On Wall or Opticon On Wall as surrounds.

I've although thought about an MA set-up based around the CP-IW260X as LCR and others for surround and overhead.

To accomodate either of those I'd have to get a false wall built in front of the current external wall.

So what about spending the same or a little more on on wall speakers which brings me to the MK MP950s as LCR and M50's as surrounds (not sure what overhead speakers as I'm not paying £1000 per pair of IC95s being the only MK in ceiling speakers I could find)

So, how much of a downgrade would any of those set-up be and are there other options I should consider? My budget is about £700-£900 for each LCR and then less for the rest.

Oh and I should say I'd be keeping the AMP and SUB as I don't see a reason to swap them out (but challange that too...)

Thanks you for your thoughts and options.

benzi

Hi Gnasher,

Last year I went from:

B&W 683 S2 fronts, HTM 61 S2 centre and 685 S2 rears with RXA 3070. Subs were 2 x Rel T5.

To

MK Sounds MP950 LCR, M40T rears with same amp/subs.

What I lost was low end from all the speakers but I gained clarity and detail in movies and music. This was not a downgrade!! The MKs are fantastic. The space gained has changed the whole room and made the other half happier!!

Hopefully stores will be opening soon, try and get in for a demo. Where are you based?

As long as you've got a good sub for your room, you won't miss the Kefs. If you are thinking about upgrading subs, there are a number of posts on here to inform you of options.

I've got a pair of Oberon on walls in another room as 2 channel set up. They do a good job, they go a little lower than the MKs and sound a little warmer but I prefer the MKs in my setup.

Inwalls were considered but I didn't want costs of false wall etc and I like upgrading/tinkering, thus would limit upgrade options.

Only regret was that I didn't go for the MP150 for LCR....I'm sat 4.5m away and they go a little louder etc....but that'll be my upgrade option. At 3m away 950 will be awesome.

Swap the speakers first - RXA 3050 should be good with them. Keep the sub for now and you can always upgrade if you need more low end in your room.

Kind regards,

Benzi

gnasher666

Hi Benzi,

Thanks for the reply, sounds like the M&K’s are well worth an audition. I’m in Bristol, not sure who my nearest dealer would be to be. I just checked the price of the MP150, I can’t afford them 😀

I like your thinking about upgrade potential too and not spending the money on a false wall.

Thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
on-wall speakers..

Do check the Arendal 1961 Monitor and Centre cause they are sealed by design and low depth (15cm)! The Bookshelf model can be wall mounted as surround sides, the Surround would have Tri-Axial design, but is slightly deeper (18,5cm). I think all models have keyholes at back so can be mounted flush against wall with few screws. Cheaper than M&Ks and i would imagine similar level sound quality. The feedback has been very strong on these.. There is owners thread somewhere for 1961 speakers.

Video shows the size better.

gnasher666

Do check the Arendal 1961 Monitor and Centre cause they are sealed by design and low depth (15cm)! The Bookshelf model can be wall mounted as surround sides, the Surround would have Tri-Axial design, but is slightly deeper (18,5cm). I think all models have keyholes at back so can be mounted flush against wall with few screws. Cheaper than M&Ks and i would imagine similar level sound quality. The feedback has been very strong on these.. There is owners thread somewhere for 1961 speakers.

Video shows the size better.
Thanks for the suggestion but from the pictures they look fairly large and not as descrete as I'm looking for.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion but from the pictures they look fairly large and not as descrete as I'm looking for.

Fair enough. Kef has the THX Extreme model, but it´s quite small so probably offers bit less in terms of weight and scale. This would be wife friendly compact option. This has THX Select rating so it meens it will perform great up to 2000cuft room with 10feet listening distance which you mentioned (3meters).

The larger THX Ultra model has Kef`s R-range technology so it would be certainly upgrade, but the price is bit over your budget. You could however choose cheaper surround speakers, not sure if still too much.

I think there was some thread were the Dali Phantoms was talked, few members have them. I would probably look one model higher than you mentioned cause it has the dual tweeter which is from Opticon range. So ribbon and soft dome. Also larger 7" bass driver with two 7" passive radiators. You can see the size in room on the below link.

The Monitor Audio CP-260IX looks great option aswell, C-Cam drivers and 3-way design with 4 mid-bass drivers each so this is going to fill the space nicely! They also have the smaller enclosed model CP-WT-380IDC which use MA Silver technology, 3-way design, 8" drivers.

The Kef would be surely safest choice for a reason, but if you fancy change then the Dali and Montitor Audio are clearly great options. But without listening it get`s tricky which to choose.

You can get a demo for M&K MP950 / IW950 if you live close to Seriously LTD:

The Smart Trilogy
140 Aycliffe Road
Borehamwood
Hertfordshire
WD6 4DY

gnasher666

Fair enough. Kef has the THX Extreme model, but it´s quite small so probably offers bit less in terms of weight and scale. This would be wife friendly compact option. This has THX Select rating so it meens it will perform great up to 2000cuft room with 10feet listening distance which you mentioned (3meters).

The larger THX Ultra model has Kef`s R-range technology so it would be certainly upgrade, but the price is bit over your budget. You could however choose cheaper surround speakers, not sure if still too much.

I think there was some thread were the Dali Phantoms was talked, few members have them. I would probably look one model higher than you mentioned cause it has the dual tweeter which is from Opticon range. So ribbon and soft dome. Also larger 7" bass driver with two 7" passive radiators. You can see the size in room on the below link.

The Monitor Audio CP-260IX looks great option aswell, C-Cam drivers and 3-way design with 4 mid-bass drivers each so this is going to fill the space nicely! They also have the smaller enclosed model CP-WT-380IDC which use MA Silver technology, 3-way design, 8" drivers.

The Kef would be surely safest choice for a reason, but if you fancy change then the Dali and Montitor Audio are clearly great options. But without listening it get`s tricky which to choose.

You can get a demo for M&K MP950 / IW950 if you live close to Seriously LTD:

The Smart Trilogy
140 Aycliffe Road
Borehamwood
Hertfordshire
WD6 4DY

Thanks for those suggestions, I find it a missed opportunity for Kef to go from a £400 speaker to then jump up to a £1250 speaker.

From size and spec I think you are right, the Dali Phantoms M-375 would seem like the right way to go but I can throw down that kind of money without an audition.

I will arrange to go and see Richard at Seriously once lockdown is lifted, he’s “only” 2 and a half hours away.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom