• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help wanted with empty partitions and Vista pre-installation

Brogan

I've just got my first Vista PC (pre-installed) and there are a few things I'm unsure about.
One is the way the hard drive is partitioned.

It's a laptop and the hard drive appears as in the attached screenshot under the Disk Managment window.

Normally I have my PC's configured so Windows and all installed applications are on the C (System) drive and all user content (music, photos, files, etc.) is on the D (Data) drive.
The C & D drives can either by physically different drives, as is the case with my PC or the same drive which is partitioned, as is the case with my other laptop.

Can anyone explain what is the status of my current drive in my new Vista laptop?
Why is there an unnamed 5.37GB partition which is 100% free and a separate Vista (C) partition which is the System and Boot disk?
When I look in Computer however, there is only 1 disk listed - Vista (C).
Also, when I right click on the unnamed partition in Disk Management there are no options except Help which leads me to think that this partition is somehow reserved by Windows?

Presumably Vista and all applications are installed on the C partition as the other one is empty?

Does anyone have any idea what the unnamed, empty partition is for, whether I can recover the space and create a separate D partition for all my data?

TIA

Attachments

• Disk.jpg
    Disk.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Computer.jpg
    Computer.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 35

Brogan

Well after a bit of investigation it seems that this is some kind of recovery partition.

I've just managed to find out how to do the 1 time DVD burn so looks like all my questions are answered.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have any idea what the unnamed, empty partition is for, whether I can recover the space and create a separate D partition for all my data?
It def. looks a recovery/rescue partition. It usually contains several system files and utilities to "rescue" the PC if needed.

Personally, I would just get my OSDVD and delete all partitions and create one partition and install the OS there.

Brogan

Personally, I would just get my OSDVD and delete all partitions and create one partition and install the OS there.
Unfortunately it didn't come with any DVD at all - OS or recovery.

I've just created the recovery DVD and I'm going to do a restore to see if the DVD is OK.
All being well I will then delete the partitions and create 2 new partitions - C & D.

Brogan

Reading the manual it seems you can run the restore from DVD if "you are unable to use the main hard drive based System Recovery or you have replaced your existing hard drive.".

So that means I should be fine to delete the recovery partition and reclaim that lost space.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom