1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help wanted with connections to Sony plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by trevellion, Nov 24, 2004.

1. trevellion

trevellion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Sony PFM 42V1E plasma and am quite happy with the picture quality that I get from my DVD player (Sony DVP NS905) through s-video but I do occasionally notice a purple shimmer over pale colours. Also I can connect my XBox via s-video but not my gamecube. I want to try to get the best picture possible. I tried the JS Tech RGB to VGA convertor through the 15 pin connector previously but found that this wasn't compatible :mad: . Now I've purchased the component video board for the plasma as I was hoping this would give me better results than s-video. It offers 5 bnc connectors for RGBHV. Ideally I'd like to get the DVD, XBox and Gamecube connected using the component. I thought of routing the XBox and Gamecube through the 'RGB SCART in' connection on the DVD player. I'd be grateful for answers to the following questions:

1. Are the HV connections on the plasma board just for connecting a pc and do I only need to use the RGB connections for connecting a DVD player?
    2. My current dvd player doesn't have component output. Would it be simpler to upgrade to something like the Sony DVP NS955 which does have this output or alternatively get a converter to go from RGB to component? Alternatively, would a scart to RGB component lead suffice?
    3. Would a dvd player like the DVP NS955 convert the RGB signals from my XBox and Gamecube to component or would I need a converter for this?
    4. Can you suggest what my best and cheapest option would be?

Thanks in advance

Karl

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    This is guesswork, but as this panel is very similar to the Hitachi PMA400, I think the same advice holds. Now you have the RGBHV board, you can probably connect your RGB scart devices with a scart to 4 phono lead (or BNC if thats what is on this board) This is RGB and sync on composite. You probably have to tell the screen in a menu that you want to do this, install the board and have a look before shelling out on the lead. Or, radical suggestion, try the manual! This method is what Hitachi themselves suggest for their panels, I've seen it work, with pretty good results. It stands to reason to give it an interlaced RGB signal, it's an interlaced panel, and it works on RGB, not YUV colourspace. No point in converting it twice! Daisy chaining should work, but a scart switch might be easier to use. Someone tell me if I'm wrong, I think you connect the 4th yellow coded lead to H sync?