Help wanted re: Sony RDR-HX510

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by adamdavid, Sep 24, 2005.

1. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm thinking about getting a DVD/HD recorder. Current likely candidate is the Sony RDR-HX510. I already have a multi region player (Pioneer DV575), so that's not important. I do not currently own any form of DVD recorder. What I need help with from you experts out there is with the following.

1) I want to be able to record from my cable TV. Am I right in assuming that I can just replace my VCR with the DVD/HD recorder?

2) I'd like to be able to transfer my old VHS recordings. Will I just be able to plug my VCR into my new recorder and transfer VHS to hard disk?

3) Does anyone have any experience with the Sony model mentioned above? Is it reliable?

The main use is going to be to record things from cable to the hard disk and then take the player up to my room to watch without disturbing the family. It'll also be nice to archive certain recordings for future viewing.

All feedback welcome. :lease:

Adam

2. Starfury

Starfury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Yes

Sorry if this is a short response, but you wont be unhappy with the 510, I am quite pleased with its performance.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    In response you your questions:

1) Yes

2) Yes. Look for a player with digital time base correction (if possible) to improve capture of VHS to DVD/HDD recorder. Not essential but nice to have if you are archiving lots of VHS footage.

3) 510 is a good player but there are better models out now with improved picture quality and features from Pioneer and Panasonic. Check out 510 review:

http://www.digitalhomemag.com/revie...d=36984&subsectionid=1306&subsubsectionid=955

Also check the Pioneer and Panasonic reviews at:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/

4. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I like the look of the Pioneer 433H and 530H models now as well. More research needed!!

5. adamdavid

adamdavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Starfury - many thanks. :smashin:

Laser - many thanks to you also. :smashin:

After much careful deliberation I went with the Sony. The Pioneer looked great, but I decided the multi-format nature (+/-) of the Sony just gave it the edge. Ordered it last night for just under £300 which saved me 100 notes on my original budget.

Once again, thanks for the help guys.

Adam

6. Unhban

Unhban
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You won't be disappointed with this machine! I've had mine about a week and the picture quality both on HD and DVD is stunning. The gradations of colour and sharpness are superb!

It does have a Timebase Corrector and I've transferred a number of old family vids from VHS to the HD, and then to DVD-R. The TBC handles loss of sync etc. very well, and if it does get caught out on the odd occasion it recovers very quickly.

So far I've only used DVD-R disks but all recordings on these play fine on friend's players.....

In one word.... enjoy!