1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help wanted on PC version of ChessMaster (6000 and 9000 versions)!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by PoochJD, Jun 21, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hello Folks,

Okay, I would like some help please with Chessmaster 6000 and 9000. I appreciate the fact that 6000 is now a really old, nigh-redundant version, but I shall explain why I am still using it.

To cut a long story short, I have a Pentium 3 laptop, (Del Latitude CSx P3 500mhz), that will play Chessmaster 9000. I know this, because I have run the game once on my machine, albeit a few years ago now. (I had to remove it for lack of hard drive space.)

However, I can't now load the game back onto my laptop, because I only have a CD-Rewriter cd-drive, and the security on the game thinks I am trying to copy it, which is untrue, when I try installing from Disc 1.

I contacted Ubi Soft UK for help, and was simply told that Chessmaster 9000 won't run on a laptop. (It will, but it won't load from a CD-Rewriting drive. Which I already know! :mad: ) As I can't afford to buy an ordinary, basic, bog-standard CD-Rom drive (just to get this game installed), I thought I'd try an earlier version of this game.

I found a re-release of Chessmaster 6000 in my local "WH Smiths" today for a bargain of £1-99. :clap: Bought it, and it works fine. Just one thing though: where can I download an updated database, and any extra boards/pieces chess sets, to install into it? All the recommended and suggested weblinks are no longer valid, and/or are unsupported - having been superceded by Chessmaster 9000.

Failing that, is there anyway that I can get around the security protection issue, so that I can install Chessmaster 9000 onto my laptop - that doesn't involve piracy?! (The game requires the CD to remain in the drive, so that it can verify you are using a legit version of the game, and not a pirated one.

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch