1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Wanted On Disk Problem.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Garrett, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Last night I decided to watch Aliens 3 from the Alien Box set for the first time, about 40 minuets into the film the picture broke up, I cleaned the disk, and on playing it again it broke up in the same place. This morning I took it round to a mates, and it played just fine.
    Any ideas why its doing it on mine?

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get this sometimes Garrett (though luckily it hasn't happened to me yet).

It sounds like an incompatibility with your player. The way that a disk is mastered sometimes means that some players can be funny about playing it. It's usually down to insufficient testing.

If it's the Region 2 version, I suggest you get in touch with the distributors who may be able to exchange it for a copy that is more compatible with your DVD player.

If not, might be better to get a refund and try a different region ;)

Alternatively, you can try and get a firmware upgrade for your player - it might cure the problem on this, and any other (future), disks.

Edit - It might affect all disks within the batch as well. I am still awaiting a version of Drive R2 that works after the distributor has found that all their copies from all recent batches are duff - it freezes on the layer change and won't unfreeze, and it affects all players :mad:

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Thank mate. [​IMG]

I might try and have a do at getting in touch with the distributors.
    I’ll stick with the package since it I got it for £29.99. What’s more Alien 3 is my least favourite of the quartet.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome ;)

Worth sending it back as faulty to the retailer as well. You never know, the replacement you get may be okay as it may come from a fresh batch.

It also may just be that your mate's player is better at playing scratched disks (but if you can see no visible signs on the disk surface then I doubt it is that).

Good luck anyway :)

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Very careful with the disk so no scratch. I could always try to swap just that disk, do not want to change the whole box set as I might get a doggie disk on the other films.
    Have you ever cleaned the head on your DVD player, can you use the same for a CD player, and can you recommend one.

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I've never cleaned the laser head - I've only had it a few months. In fact, I've never cleaned any laser head ever, not even CD player (never had to) so I can't recommend anything I'm afraid.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    Same here had a CD player for ages and have never had need of one, mind you I have a Pioneer player, so I suppose dust does not drop on the head. (the CD’s are played face up)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt it's the laser head anyway. If it was, you'd be having problems with all your disks and your Alien 3 disk wouldn't fail in exactly the same place each time. ;)

9. tiddle22

tiddle22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this problem many many times as I use various dvd players,in my experience this happens sometimes when using a cheapish dvd player-when i swich the disc to a mid or high range player the problem evaporates-personally I think It's summit to do with the quality of the laser.
    Regards
    John.:cool:

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,044
    My father once got one of the early CD players, after the guarantee had run out, he had problems with some disk. Even though he cleaned them, they still would skipped in certain places. He would pass them on to me to try on my Pioneer, they would be all right. Then when he played on his they would play all right for a while.
    Work that one out.:confused: