• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help wanted on buying lcd tv

ppmanper

Standard Member
Hi everyone this is my first post so please be gentle if i do anything wrong.
I need some help please choosing an Lcd for my partners birthday.There is a vast array out there and to be honest iam very confused by all the sales talk that i am been given by the high street retailers.

The screen size needs to be a min of 37 inches.He will be connecting a PS3,Sky + but will be upgrading to Sky hd , watcing movies ( blue ray ) and an X Box 360.

Do i need to buy a full HD tv,which will give me a good picture when playing sky.

My budget is approx £800 ( is this enough for what i am asking)or am i expecting to much.If anyone can heplp / advise i would be gateful,it sure would make the old mans day if he came home from work to find his new box of tricks.Thanks in advance.ppmanper.:)

reflectiveideal

Hi and welcome,

What you are asking is easily dooable with your budget. Considering the array of HD material your partner has, i would say that full HD is a must (he'll thank you for it!). For this price range i would say that you have the following choices available to you assuming you want to stick to known brands:

Samsung LE40M87BDX : Toshiba 42X3030DB : Sony 40w2000

At 850 you can pick up a Sony 40V3000, which is a particuarly good screen, but obviously stretching the budget. Check the forums here for views on the TV's, take a look at www.* as they are very good there, and shop around! Pricerunner is actually very helpful but may not give you the best companies, just prices.

Wish you the best of luck, anything else just ask! :)

pazaaam

Standard Member
Hi and welcome,

What you are asking is easily dooable with your budget. Considering the array of HD material your partner has, i would say that full HD is a must (he'll thank you for it!). For this price range i would say that you have the following choices available to you assuming you want to stick to known brands:

Samsung LE40M87BDX : Toshiba 42X3030DB : Sony 40w2000

At 850 you can pick up a Sony 40V3000, which is a particuarly good screen, but obviously stretching the budget. Check the forums here for views on the TV's, take a look at www.* as they are very good there, and shop around! Pricerunner is actually very helpful but may not give you the best companies, just prices.

Wish you the best of luck, anything else just ask! :)

I am looking to buy a second LCD and already have a 2 yr old Toshiba. It is fantastic and I was tempted to go that way again. Done a bit of research and agree with reflectiveideal on the model of Tosh. Another good site is www.ukprices.com. Amazon is quoting the best price at £759 with free delivery - best price and a generally reliable company.

This is right at the top of my budget so if there are any other suggestions under £700 with similar spec I would appreciate:lease:

pazaaam

Standard Member
So I actually ended up going for the panasonic TH42PX70B - go figure??!! In the end pannys come out great in all reviews - Which? rave about them and I got a good deal through Empire Direct (£629 + pp)- as I have their ED card, I got an extra 2 years warranty on top.

Have also ordered a Premier mounts AM3 wall bracket so looking forward to setting it all up:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom