Help wanted, connections for LG AV Equipment and Std Skybox & VHS

skthecat

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good Morning, I have just purchased some new Home Cinema kit and need help/Advice/Diagram for connecting it all up. My equipment is as follows;

LG 37inch LCD TV
(3 scarts, 1 Labelled AV1, 1 Labelled AV2 and 1 labelled DTV Out) + 1 HDMI-In + Component In + Optical out

LG HT503 PH HTK DVD Player Cinema System (Upscaling)
(1 Scart) + HDMI-Out + Component Out + Video Out [Single Video Cable] + Optical In

LG DRT389H DVD Recorder (Upscaling)
(2 Scarts 1 Labelled AV1 1 Labelled AV2/Decoder) + Component Out, S-Video Out + Coaxial Out + Optical Out + L & R Audio Out.

JMB VHS Recorder/Player
(1 Scart) + Usual Ariel In/Out holes

Pace Standard Skybox
(2 Scarts 1 Labelled to TV + 1 Labelled to VCR) + 1 x Video + L & R Audio Jacks.

I want to put all sound through the DVD Player Cinema System
I Want to be able to Record on the DVDR from Sky and from the VHS
I want to be able to play a DVD from either the DVD Player or DVD Recorder/Player (Upscaled) where possible

I do not use any of the built in Freeview Tuners (TV and Both DVD Units have them!) as I do NOT have an ariel connection, (JUST Standard SKY)
I would also like my Wii to be connected at soome point and listen to the games through the Cinema System.

This sounds to me like quite alot, but to you experts outr there maybe not.

Please bare in mind I am a technophobic AV Novice so keep it as simple as possible please.

Regards;

Speedway

Good Morning, I have just purchased some new Home Cinema kit and need help/Advice/Diagram for connecting it all up. My equipment is as follows;

LG 37inch LCD TV
(3 scarts, 1 Labelled AV1, 1 Labelled AV2 and 1 labelled DTV Out) + 1 HDMI-In + Component In + Optical out

LG HT503 PH HTK DVD Player Cinema System (Upscaling)
(1 Scart) + HDMI-Out + Component Out + Video Out [Single Video Cable] + Optical In

Connect HDMI to TV

LG DRT389H DVD Recorder (Upscaling)
(2 Scarts 1 Labelled AV1 1 Labelled AV2/Decoder) + Component Out, S-Video Out + Coaxial Out + Optical Out + L & R Audio Out.

Connect component out to TV and optical to the H/C system

JMB VHS Recorder/Player
(1 Scart) + Usual Ariel In/Out holes

Connect SCART to AV2 on TV

Tune to CH68 on in built tuner (default output from sky box via RF)

Pace Standard Skybox
(2 Scarts 1 Labelled to TV + 1 Labelled to VCR) + 1 x Video + L & R Audio Jacks.

Connect SCART from TV SCART socket to AV1 SCART socket on TV. Set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control=On in the Picture settings

Connect SCART from VCR SCART socket to AV2 SCART on DVD Recorder

Connect RF aerial cable from RF out to RF in on VCR

I want to put all sound through the DVD Player Cinema System
I Want to be able to Record on the DVDR from Sky and from the VHS
I want to be able to play a DVD from either the DVD Player or DVD Recorder/Player (Upscaled) where possible

I do not use any of the built in Freeview Tuners (TV and Both DVD Units have them!) as I do NOT have an ariel connection, (JUST Standard SKY)
I would also like my Wii to be connected at soome point and listen to the games through the Cinema System.

This sounds to me like quite alot, but to you experts outr there maybe not.

Please bare in mind I am a technophobic AV Novice so keep it as simple as possible please.

Regards;

Speedway

The best connection from the wii is the component cable, which is an extra, they cost around £18, although non Nintendo cables are cheaper but may not be as good quality. It doesn't look like your h/c system has an analogue audio input (red/white) according to the information you gave us. Can you confirm it does/doesn't. Sometimes the optical output from TV's only outputs audio from the built in freeview tuner. Try it to see if you can hear audio from other sources e.g. wii or DVD. As you only have one optical input, it might be worth purchasing a toslink splitter or 3 way manual optical switch which you can get from tvcables.co.uk or maplins so that you can connect more than one source to the single optical input on the h/c system.

If you used component for the wii, this would obviously impact on the input from the DVD recorder and as such you would need to loop through the signal from one box to another in order to share one of the SCART inputs on the TV. As one is taken up with the VCR (do you really need it?!!) you're left with one SCART connection, you could connect the output from the DVD Recorder to the VCR socket on the Sky box (set the DVD Recorder to RGB in picture settings if it supports it). Then as long as the sky box was in standby, you could view the DVD Recorder via SCART.

Regarding the third SCART socket on the TV, can you input anything on it, try the VCR and see if you can view the VCR. Sorry, I'm not familar with LG TV's and as I'm at work, I'm restricted to which sites I can visit (to have a look at the manual). Perhaps someone else might be able to comment on this?

If you have any further questions, post back.

Hi Dave Puma,

You don't live anywhere near Leicester do you? No, I will have an attempt on this but the manuals are rubbish (Difficult to work out what and where some settings are/why/how due to the poor translation and words not translating at all! and no picture diagrams to speak of!) Anyway, I digress. The VHS is only needed to possibly view the odd film on (Tapes I already own) and I was hoping to use the DVDR to copy some content of the VHS machines (Own Recorded Material) for posterity/archiving reasons.

In response to your question re Home Cinema Having Analogue Audio Input, Here is an extract from the "Hooking Up The Unit Page" !!

[Audio In Connection] The unit's Audio Jacks are colour coded (Red for Right Audio and White for Left Audio). If your TV has only one input for audio (Mono) Connect it to the Left (White) audio jack on the unit.

Is that what you mean?

Rgds;

Speedway

Yes, that sounds like the one, although if that is an exact quote from the manual, it's not worded very well unless I've missed something. It should read output for the TV, not input (you can't input to another input, obviously!).

You could do a temporary setup to record the VHS to DVDR the ditch the video player and simplify your setup.

Also not knowing your surround system, it might be that you can only use the optical, or the (red and white) plugs as such and not both (what I mean is, the system might only have one AUX input choice).

From experience, I had a similar system with the red/white plugs and used a manual switch (from Maplins) to swap between sound sources

So I would go:

HDMI -------------->TV to DVD system
Component--------->TV to DVDR
SCART-------------> TV to SKY
SCART------------->SKY to DVDR
Red and Wht Phono->Sky via switch to DVD system
Red and Wht Phono->DVDR via switch to DVD system
RF------------------> SKY to DVDR ( I think, for recording, not sure though)

When adding the Wii I would use a component switch so you could swap between the Wii and DVDR output to the TV and use red and white phono from the Wii to the DVD system via switch for the sound (if this is possible I don't know what connections a Wii has, im a PS3 man).

Last edited:
Hi, the Home Cinema is an LG HT503PH, (Inbuilt DVD Player) (Upscaler)
The DVD Recorder is an LG DRT389H, (Inbuilt DVD Recorder/Player) (Upscaler)
The Skybox is A Standard Box by Pace
The TV is an LG 37 inch
The Video Recorder is a JMB (Littlewoods Own Brand) Circa 2001

Does this help you TonyH?

You could do a temporary setup to record the VHS to DVDR the ditch the video player and simplify your setup.

Also not knowing your surround system, it might be that you can only use the optical, or the (red and white) plugs as such and not both (what I mean is, the system might only have one AUX input choice).

From experience, I had a similar system with the red/white plugs and used a manual switch (from Maplins) to swap between sound sources

So I would go:

HDMI -------------->TV to DVD system
SCART-------------> TV to SKY
SCART------------->SKY to DVDR
Red and Wht Phono->Sky via switch to DVD system
Red and Wht Phono->DVDR via switch to DVD system
RF------------------> SKY to DVDR ( I think, for recording, not sure though)

When adding the Wii I would use a component switch so you could swap between the Wii and DVDR output to the TV and use red and white phono from the Wii to the DVD system via switch for the sound (if this is possible I don't know what connections a Wii has, im a PS3 man).

Yes, that sounds like the one, although if that is an exact quote from the manual, it's not worded very well unless I've missed something. It should read output for the TV, not input (you can't input to another input, obviously!).

davepuma
To be sure, if you pm me your email address/tell me how to send you a copy of the "Hooking Up Page"!!! Not sure how to do this on a forum I will scan it and send it)

Rgds;

Speedway

Hi, the Home Cinema is an LG HT503PH, (Inbuilt DVD Player) (Upscaler)
The DVD Recorder is an LG DRT389H, (Inbuilt DVD Recorder/Player) (Upscaler)
The Skybox is A Standard Box by Pace
The TV is an LG 37 inch
The Video Recorder is a JMB (Littlewoods Own Brand) Circa 2001

Does this help you TonyH?

Just looked at the manual for the sound system, you can use the optical from the DVDR to the DVD system

Which leaves the sky and the Wii on red and white plugs through a switch to the sound system.

Hi again, I do not follow exactly what you mean, could you possibly do me a complete list of what conectors go where, and how am I going to get round the remotes? everytime a press a button for say the DVD Recorder to do something, the HC/Player does something either similar or exactly the opposite!

Thanks in advance for any help;

from a gimp/technophobe

It's because they probably share the same IR codes, one of them will have to go I'm afraid!

It's because they probably share the same IR codes, one of them will have to go I'm afraid!

Yep, it might be possible to control all the LG stuff from the TV remote???

all the cable info given above still stands though, you will need all the cables mentioned.

HDMI -------------->TV to DVD sound system
SCART-------------> TV (AV1) to SKY (labelled TV)
SCART------------->SKY (to VCR) to DVDR (AV2)
Red and Wht Phono->Sky via switch to DVD sound system
TOSLINK optical cable -> DVDR to DVD sound system

Also for Wii

Red / White Phono->Wii via switch to DVD sound system
Component-->Wii via a component switch to TV component

Chaps, I have been to Currysa this morning and I am changing the LG DVD Reciever System to avoid the IR Clash.

I will get either the;

Panasonic PT 460EB OR Samsung HT-X310R (Nearly got this one before)

I want to connect the following;

The LG TV 2 scarts and DTV out Scart + 1 HDMI and usual optic/coax/Comp sockets

LG DRT 389H DVD Recorder (Upscaler) 2 Scarts 1 HDMI, Comp Output, Coax, Optical, S-Video Audio L + R and RF in/out

Wii (I have a Wii to Scart Lead as well
and Poss VHS 1 scart RF in/Out only

Can this be done easily to either the Panasonic or Samsung Systems mentioned at top of page?

Regards

skthecat

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom