1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help wanted: connecting Denon 3803, Mission FS2-AV and Toshiba SD510E

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pgd, Jul 5, 2002.

1. pgd

pgd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just receive these in advance of the projector to allow time to come to terms
    with things. However, I seem to be stumped by the first hurdle, connecting
    the bits and have a couple of questions...

Firstly, is it best to connect the 5 little speakers to its sub or directly
    to the Denon - @ the mo' I'm thinking the former but don't know why? Secodly, the Denon manual describes how to connect both the component video
    output and alternatively the ordinary video output from a DVD (Toshiba
    SD510E) to the Denon, however, I don't see how to connect the DVD's 5.1 audio
    output to the amp.

Feeling a bit of a plonka, nothing new, so any guidance would be very welcome.

PGD
    --
    -
    Paul De Luca O O ICQ 27933308
    =============================uu==U==uu==============================
    PGP Key id/fp: 0x8EF1006B / 22A1 DD5E 95DB 6264 AF34 4F8B B922 2193
    ====================================================================

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have the tosh 510 connected to my denon 2802 via the component in for the picture which i send component out to my projector, you connect the audio via optical in or coax in you just assign the amp to which cable you use, i use the coax in for the dvd & i connect my ps2 into an svid in and connect the audio via the digital in and the amp switche the signal well

3. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    FS2AV to AMP: Make sure you connect your 5 FS2 speakers to the subwoofer, then from subwoofer to the amp - otherwise no bass will come out of the FS2s.

To get the optimal bass performance from your FS2AV, on your amp's bass management, make sure you select ALL speakers to 'Large' and also select 'Main Speakers & LFE'. If your amp has the option, select '120hz' as the subwoofer cross-over.

DVD-Player to AMP: Simply get either an Digital Optical cable or a Digital Coaxial cable and connect the cable FROM the back of your dvd-player TO the back of the amp.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pgd.. not being sarcastic at all here but this is all covered in the manual for the FS2s. at least have a read first surely?

there are plenty of good threads on setting them up if you have questions after that point. read the other 2 manuals while you are at it.

I'd really advise you take your time... getting an amp, dvd & speakers together is a LOT of info to take in one go.

is there no-one you can ask to help set everything up?

your Qs..

1. the FS2s wont work unless plugged into the sub.

2. unless you have more than one component source (DVD & X-box for example), then there is no need to route through the amp - go direct to the pj (or TV for now).

3. you need one audio cable from dvd to amp.. either coax or optical, no real difference.

5. pgd

pgd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MartinCo, tk2001 and chic for your swift responses; in light of which the manuals seem less fuzzy. Although they do indicate a mismatch, probably the wrong term, between the audio 5.1 connections, 6 output from the DVD and 8 inputs on the amp, I wasn't sure about which 2 of the last 4 amp input to select. (Worried that messing up might result in a puff of smoke.) I'll be off to get a optical/coax cable, not even I can mess up a 1:1 connection. ;-)

PGD

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the 6 audio outs on the 510 are there really for dvd-audio.

the dd/dts decoders are usually best inside the amp, definitely in your case.

so for sound you just need a single optical or coax cable from dvd to amp.