1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help wanted: £1500 budget for new flat panel TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by saintjames, Oct 24, 2005.

1. saintjames

saintjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I don't consider myself to be a moron but i'm quite lost here, i have a budget of £1500 and am looking to buy a flat panel 32"/37" TV- either LCD or Plasma.

The ones i've seen in comet and the like running from HD sources all look immense, but am i right in thinking that an HD ready tv compromises on its ability to handle conventional sources as well?

HD will be fantastic but realistically i'll be sticking with Sky digital for the forseeable future, and i'm not willing to put up with a few years of bad quality Sky digital for a few channels in HD. So here are my needs, i would appreciate your best recommendations:

- The best connector and setup to show Sky digital in the best picture quality possible

- The best connector and setup to show DVD in the best picture quality possible

- A socket to handle a pc out feed

- Future-proof connections allowing me to use new technology (e.g. games) and HD eventually

- MINIMUM faults in picture (i.e. ghosting, tearing, jagged edges- all related to LCD i think)

Thanks for your help!

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you have to have one now, then JVC DS60 is a good set. Equally Sharp GA6/GD7 versions.
    Panasonic's 500 is another contender, so to Sony's v-series - if you don't want PC hook-up.
    If you can curtail your desire to splurge now, then next Feb/March, Benq's 37" 1080 TV will be here - and it'll likely be around the £15-1700 mark.
    By then, if you weren't impressed with it, the others mentioned above will have dropped in price, and you may have saved even a bit more towards some larger panels - 40/42" from Samsung/Sony/JVC (40" 1080 due next spring also).
    Sometimes patience can be a virtue as well as a bane.

3. saintjames

saintjames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pjskel.

What does everyone else think?

4. jim_is_ere

jim_is_ere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I don't think you can go wrong with the panasonic 32 inch 500. I have had one for a month now and think it does a great job. It is rated consistently 5 star in all magazines, which I researched before buying.
    The PQ was the best out of all the other LCD's I was looking at.
    I saw it next to the new phillips 9830 in my local store (the phillips was on sale for £2000!) I had gone in looking to buy the 9830, but next to the panny it just didn't look as natural, in other words I thought that the panny 500 was the better picture and the guys in the shop agreed with me.
    Leave the best to last, I managed to get them to macth the internet price and got the TV for £1400 - best TV I have ever owned and so far am really happy with it.
    You could hold on and they will always be cheaper in a couple of months or so, but with that attitude you would never buy one :rolleyes:
    yes it does everything you are looking for - GO FOR IT!!

cheers

Jim