Help! Want an upgrade, but need advice, please!

Blackbird

Novice Member
Hi there,

I currently have FTTC broadband via Plusnet and use a BT SmartHub as an all-in-one modem/router/wifi hub.

However, I've increased the number of WiFi/Smart home devices over the past year and I think the hub's really starting to struggle to juggle it all. I've been getting dropped connections recently and seemingly dead spots in the house.

I'd like to upgrade without breaking the bank. I've read about mesh networks and considered various offerings from ASUS, Linksys and Google - but my understanding is that I'd need to buy an modem to act as a go between.

Is there such a thing as a router with built-in modem which is also compatible on a mesh network? And if so, is it affordable?! I'm prepared to spend a couple hundred quid if it is going to do the job.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

oneman

Asus for sure do have routers with built in modem, look for DSL in the name. The only one I could find with a quick look was DSL-AX82U.

Last edited:

psychopomp1

Consider the Tplink VR2800 or Asus DSL-AC88U, these are excellent modem/routers which will almost certainly give you better Wi-Fi coverage than the plusnet router. Stay away from other Asus modem/routers as nearly all use the notorious Mediatek DSL chipsets which are very very unstable on DSL lines. Both of the above routers use a Broadcom dsl chipset.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom