1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: VR Mode DVD's and playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by laser, Dec 27, 2004.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I recorded a programme onto a DVD-RW formatted for VR mode in my Pioneer DVR-220S and then edited the adverts using a playlist and finalised the DVD-RW. The disc plays OK in the DVR-220S and starts with the TV programme and does not display the adverts.

What I now want to do is transfer the DVD-RW (VR mode) to a DVD-R so I can give a disc to my aunty so she can watch the TV programme. Does anyone know if there is any software which will let me do this but retain the playlist i.e. with the edited out adverts when the DVD-RW is copied to DVD-R?

Incidently I tried the DVD-RW in my Pioneer DV-668AV and it plays OK but it does not play the playlist so the adverts now appear and all the edited out footage is now seen. I now the playlist editing does not delete footage but I thought the 668 would have played the DVD-RW minus the adverts. Is this correct or is the 668 correct in only replaying the original recorded content from the DVD-RW?

2. anna the dub

anna the dub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can I ask, why delete the adverts using the playlist function? I have a 420, previously I had a 3100, and whenever I was editing a -RW disc, I used the insert chapter point function, inserting one at the beginning of the advert break and another at the end, then using chapter edit, I would delete the chapter. Adverts are removed permanently and more space is freed up on the disc for further recording. The resulting playback was very smooth at the chapter edits.

As regards copying to a -R disc, I am afraid I can't help you there. The 420 has a HDD which makes it an extremely easy process making a -R copy from a -RW.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks. I'll try that method.

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I'm not aware of any software that will recognise the playlist, but you could use TMPGEnc DVD Author to roughly edit out the commercials again and reauthor for DVD-R.

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks johnjackthom.

I've downloaded the trial version of TMPGEnc Author and it recognised the playlist. I selected the playlist, copied it to the HDD and then burnt it to DVD-R. The DVD plays fine i.e. minus adverts.

Thanks for the advice :smashin:

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Excellent!
    I've frequently done this with DVD-RAM but having actually erased the unwanted bits in the DVD recorder first. I didn't realise the authoring software could read a playlist, or maybe I just don't understand VR mode very well :)

7. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Very impressed with the software.

I had finalised the DVD-RW after editing on the DVR-220S. I'm not sure if this makes a difference to TMPGEnc seeing the playlist or not but I've had not problems so far.