1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Vidikron TGS-XP about to explode?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zion, Sep 8, 2004.

1. zion

zion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently aquired a Vidikron TGS-XP, but only now came around to testing it.

The following is the problem:
    When i power up there's a high-pitched "crackling" electrical sound, as one would expect to hear when there's a shortcircuit, or some electrical (high-voltage) device which is burning out.

The first time i didn't quite catch it straight away so i let him light up, until i suddenly heard a few louder electrical "bangs" (sounding like a discharge).

However, al this time i did have a perfect testgrid, utilizing all 3 colors, so it doesn't seem to affect my output (in the shortrun atleast, i killed power when i heard the louder electrical discharges).

Does anyone knows of what could be causing this? my birthday's in 2 days and i would love to have the d*mn thing up&about then.

Thanks.

btw, i already opened her up, to see if i could find any physical signs of anything wrong, but couldn't find any, not physically, like burnmarks, nor optical, during boot/warm-up.

2. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is almost certainly the eht transformer/quadrupler/splitter
    The noise that you hear is the 37KV arcing to ground, although it sounds like an explosion you should be alright powering it up to look at which part is actually breaking down.
    Just incase you dont know what the eht transformer/quadrupler/splitter is it is the series of devices that supply the eht to each of the tubes (thick red wires that will be covered in black carbon dust)
    Make sure that you can see them clearly and then power up, you will see the blue arc when it makes the familiar 'crack'.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    JMP is prety much on this one see if you can see an arc.

It is difficult to judge how loud this noise is, but the fact that you have a test grid up is good news.
    If you can smell burning after the start up then I think your arcing could be a real danger. (as in fire)
    On the other hand it is quite usuall to hear a crackle and pop from a projector that has stood around for a while.