1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help - vertical dark bands on philips 9617 (tears in heaven)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mahood, Jun 14, 2002.

1. mahood

mahood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting more and more depressed. Ok, next days I will call the shop, but may be in the meanwhile somebody of you can help me.
    I have a philips 32PW9617, with pixel plus, and there are two dark vertical bands, one thinner - near the left edge - and one larger - near the right edge. I don't remember how much is an inch (im from italy), however the larger one is about three cm.
    I read on some posts that it might be a problem about the SCART, but I unplugged them and saw the same bands with the signal from the arial. It is not a problem with the tube, too, since I'm able to make them walk left and right using the zoom and the mouse, and they maintain their position relative to the image borders when I go from 4:3 to widescreen.
    They are evident mostly when there is a dark background, and slightly visible with green background - such as grass during football world cup, for instance, adding this way affliction to affliction.
    In the former case, if I diminish the brightness and make the background perfectly black, the bands are no more visible. Actually, with the brightness set to zero, or switching off the tv, or closing my eyes, they completely disappear, but you know, for 1,400£ I thought that the images were included.
    _please_, _please_, save me or kill me.

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you check this forum you will see that vertical bands are common to most widescreen tvs. I have had 7 tvs in 9 months. All but the one I have now had faults and vertcal bars like you describe. Even the Tosh RP I have now has vertical bars. They are a pain in the ass but i think its somthing we will have to live with. Does anyone else know different!!

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The dark bands on the Philips are probably a result of them using Panasonic tubes (which are infamous for their dark bands).

The Toshiba ZP18 has well reported problems with light bands on the edges of the picture.

As far as I know, light/dark bands are not common to most widescreen TVs - merely Panasonics and the Toshiba ZP18 (and Philips models that use Panasonic tubes).

I have no bands on my Sony. There were no bands on the JVC I had before that. There were no bands on the Philips I had before that (but that had a Philips tube in it).

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The dark bands you see are interference inside the TV. This seems to be common to all Philips TV's using the MG series of chassis. It's just a sub-par design with crap supply and shielding like all Philips chassis. They make them like that deliberately to save money (obviously for their own benefit, not the consumer's).

I have these dark bands too and have not been able to do anything about them. Consumer grade TV's are no better than that nowadays. To get hold of a decent TV set one would have to travel back in time 10 years. That's the sad truth.

The dark bands are probably caused by the horizontal deflection leaking inside the input processor (HIP), just like the vertical deflection leaks into the audio path.