Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help!! urgent toshiba RD-XS34 jammed

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Foot, Sep 4, 2005.

1. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've recorded some JPEG images onto a CD-R, to play on the DVD player. I inserted the disc exactly as my manual advised, even checking that the priority was set to photos over audio on my menu.

The DVD player seemed fine at first, recognising the CD and playing the slideshow when I pressed play.

I then pressed 'CONTENT MENU' to view the list of files on the CD and to test out some of the functions listed in the manual. The manual says that if I pressed the green (star) button, the list of files would change to a thumbnail view of each image.

However, when I pressed this button, the screen changed, but the images have not appeared, except for an image of two arrows in the first square ( similar to the 'loading' icon). I cannot press any button, or switch to any other screen. Not even the on/off/standby button.

Thanks

2. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Try this:

Turn off at the mains. The press and hold down the eject button whilst turning back on at the mains. Keep your finger on the eject button whilst the DVD recorder boots up. It could take about 2 mins, but before the recorder finishes reading the disc it should eject the tray - hopefully!!

3. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will this affect what I have saved on HDD as there is stuff there which I still have to watch/archive

4. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It shouldn't do. I've had this happen once. A particular recorded DVD would just lock up recorder as it was being read. Doing what I suggested should just open the tray before it finishes reading the DVD. It should have no effect on what's on the HD at all (unless it's already busted).

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    I wouldn't think so.

6. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Toby that worked!! Any idea why that would have happened. all we had was 35 photos on a disk set to Jpeg as advised and it just froze when we tried to list as thumbnails?

Also I need some more advice.

I will be getting SKY+ ina couple of weeks and so my recording priorities will change. At the mo I have TVAV1 connected to TOSHAV1 and then TOSHAV2 to SKY AV1 as advised in booklet.

But as I now want to record direct to SKY+ first and then on to TOSH what should be my connections.

Should it now be TVAV1 (RGB) to SKY+ TV(RGB) and then (and this is the bit I am not sure because the 2nd scart on SKY says VCR but is this RGB enabled?) should this be SKY+ VCR scart to TOSH AV2 scart ?

If this is correct would I lose any recording quality if the 2nd SKY scart is not RGB?

Sorry for so many questions but thanks to you and everybody else for their help.

7. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, it's only happened with one DVD with me. I even reburnt onto another disc and it happened on that too. I'd try a reburn though, just in case it was a problem with the disc itself. If it doesn't work, at least you know how to get it out of the recorder now!!

The VCR socket on normal Sky boxes isn't usually RGB, but I don't know about Sky+ boxes. Shouldn't you just connect it up the same way you have your box connected up now though? If both sockets are RGB enabled then it won't matter which one you connect to the DVD recorder. The only thing you'll need to worry about is if you want to connect both the Sky+ box AND DVD recorder direct to your TV too...you'll have to see how many sockets on the back of your TV are RGB (if two, it's common to have just one as RGB).

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    Leave your connections as they are......they are correct.
    Sky+ records to its own built-in hard drive which it outputs from its TV scart as RGB (if selected within its menu) to the Tosh AV2.
    The VCR scart sockets on Sky digiboxes are not RGB.

9. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but Im confused. If you say I should leave it as it is now then that means that TOSH is connected to TV right? then TOSH AV2 to SKY TV Monitor?

This means then that the TOSH will always have to be switched on for SKY+ to work (with SATMON) and I thought I read that the TOSH cannot work SKY+

To be honest I haven't had the TOSH long and although it has had 5* ratings the instructions for novices like me are appalling. The reviews should have advised this a bit more specifically.

All I want to do now is with the simplicity of SKY+ is to just select a programme from their menu and record (no more videoplus hassles etc) Then I want to just be able to transfer to HDD when I need to.

10. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    Leave the connections as I said.
    When you want to archive progs you have recorded on the Sky+ hard drive to your DVDR then you use the Sky+ "Copy" facility which plays them back in real time and outputs them in RGB from its "TV Scart" socket.

11. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jaycee but that does mean then that I still have to press SATMON when I turn my TV on to get it to go over to SKY correct?

12. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,324
    Yes. :smashin:

13. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It does, but the SATMON button works with the recorder on and in standby, so you don't need the recorder on to watch Sky, just press the SATMON button.

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I make a habit of always leaving the Toshiba with SATMONI on, so it will pass through the RGB. It will still do timed recordings etc in this mode. I only take SATMONI off if I am actually using the Tosh (watching a recording, editing, setting a timer, etc), and I put SATMONI back on when I'm done. That way when the wife or kids want to watch TV they don't have to worry about touching the Tosh.

Just put the Tosh in SATMONI mode each time you turn it off.

Mark

15. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that but it doesn't work with my panny TV.

When I switch TV on it always comes on terrestrial channel (apparantly this is something they do and have tried numerous times to see if there is a way round it)

But if I leave SATMON on from previous evening say, it doesn't do anything.

I then have to turn SATMON off and then on again for it to work?

Thanks
    Martin (aka The Foot)

16. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    This sounds like a function of your TV, not of SATMONI. When you turn on your TV, if it is on an internal tuner channel instead of Sky, selecting the external input on your TV should bring up Sky.

When your TV senses the external input being turned on (by turning SATMONI off then on), it is autoswitching to that input. Turning Sky off then on should have the same effect.

Really what you want is for your TV to default to the external input if that is the last thing you had on; that's not something the XS34 can change.

Mark

17. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

I have emailed Panasonic customer services to see if they can advise how to do this.

Going back to the Tosh. When you switch yours on from Standby to on and then select HDD what screen do you get up. I get a sort of picture of what is on the TV moving across the page sometimes split into 2 or 4 pictures and also with the 'loading' logo showing. After it has loaded it then seems ok.

Does this sound right?

18. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have chosen never to turn mine off. It is so valuable to have a HDD machine ready to go at a moments notice, and as the timer does not require the machine to be in standby, I decided why not?

19. martin day

martin day
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is I can't do this because of the prob with my TV not coming on on a SKY channel. To then get this to switch over it has to be in standby and only then can I get SKy.

20. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    With my XS32, I get the logo first, then a picture (of whatever the recorder was last tuned to). I don't get the picture split into multiple pictures.

Mark