1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help- urgent advice about Sony VPL-X1000 front projector needed !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Craig_Nike, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been offered the above model at A$2200 which is reasonably cheap compared to the claimed retails of $14,000.

It is about 2yrs old second hand - bankrupsy thing, not stolen.

I have an 80cm WEGA and am very happy with it, but the thought of a front projector at this price may be too good to pass up.

Does anybody know the model / own the model - can give me any advice ?

Thanks in advance

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jrwood - I appreciate your quick response.
    I have learned alot already.

I have 2 other important question.

What is the brightness of a 1000Lumens projector like in a lounge room ?
    Are they brigther / clearer than a rear-projection TV ? Obviously they're not as good as a CRT, but will I be dissapointed going from a CRT to a projector like this ?

What is a CRT Projector - I know they have 3 bulbs instead of 1 - are they better ? Also are LCD projectors fine for home cinema or are they computer only type projectors ? I am going to be using it for 100% home theater.

Sorry for all the questions - I have to make a quick decision.
    Thanks for you help.

4. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first projector (and current :D) is only 600 lumens but this is fine for watching movies at night, besides our living room is at the back of the house and woodland at the back helps to keep the sun shining too much into the living room :). I can watch sport quite happy with the far lights on (about 30 feet from the screen), however the room is pretty big and it does reduce the contrast but its fine for watching footy on a Sunday!. However you get much better contrast at night for films.

I've also used a 1100 lumen DLP projector which is very bright. In fact you can see a picture even with the lights on which is handy for sports like motor racing/football, this would look very good in the living room in the day time imho. The problem I found at night (nearly pitch black) was that the 1100 lumens was so high that the blacks were very grey compared to my 600 lumen projector. I think the ideal projector would be about 800 lumens as the higher you go the more noise it will make and the blacks become grey.

We were going to buy one of the Toshiba RPTV but we decided to go for the Projector as it does'nt look like you have a massive tin box permanently in the living room. I would definetly say my projector is far clearer than any of the Sony/Toshiba RPTV's we looked at. With http://www.dscaler.org the pictures from TV are stunning, so much in fact that if you switch on the small sony TV (I say small but hey!) you can match pretty much match the colour rendition on the Sony set, and the quality is just as good but at 114" size!.

Do you mean a CRT TV? or a CRT projector?. If you have the dedicated room then go for the CRT projector, you will have to black out the whole room though as they are not very bright. Some people prefer more film like pictures CRT projectors produce, but you can quite easily do this a on digital LCD projector by slightly defocusing the manual focus. Also some people say LCD/DLP blacks are more like the cinemas which are also grey?, check next time you go to the cinema!

A CRT Projector can produce blacks which are blacks. Digital projectors display black as grey, although obviously if you go for a 700 lumen projector and use a HOYA FL-D filter and grey screen then you can make blacks look very dark grey. Along with proper velvet masking the image becomes more '3D', to reduce lightspill.
    I would only get a CRT projector if you have a dedicated room, they are about 4-6 foot in length ? and weigh up to 65kgs or more!. You really need to demo both types of projector to see which is better for you, some people cannot stand LCD projectors, some people cannot stand CRT projectors.

LCD projection:
    discrete home cinema, brighter picture, plug and play - switch on and view a movie/tv, greyish blacks, slight screendoor if you buy SVGA (800x600 native) projector, sharp picture quality with good uniformity, bulb life of 2000 hours+, bulbs can be expensive for some models, dead pixels (mine has none !), if its new then either 1, 2 or 3 warranty peace of mind, can still tweak by using blackout masking on 4:3 projector to increase perceived contrast plus change bias/gain/contrast settings in service/factory menu. I would say my projector now has 80% more contrast than when I first bought it since I tweaked settings in the factory menu!, also use a PC (HTPC) with the projector as imho the svideo/composite on projectors suck for DVD/TV playback. Have a read of the HTPC/HCPC forums here and over at http://www.avsforum.com

CRT projection:
    need dedicated room blacked out, 3rd party installation needed ideally, best picture quality although not as bright/sharp as digital projectors, cost of projector is lower but after install etc probably the same if not a lot more, room temperature has to be good - if room is cold then leave CRT projector on for at least 1 or 2 hours before you watch a movie otherwise convergence is out, blacks ARE black therefore dark movies look awesome on a CRT projector..to give a more 3D picture, it's a tweakers dream and you ideally have to converge the projector every 6 months,

You may want to demo the Panasonic AE100 and read about it here and over at http://www.avsforum.com, there are some very good quality screenshots from this projector and its probably the same price as that second hand sony which would probably have a slightly worse picture?. Also this projector hardly produces any noise, that sony projector probably is very noisy?... try to aim for 32db or less ideally

James

p.s excuse the spelling..in a rush to go out. bye!

5. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James, thanks very much for all your help.
    I really appreciate the detail you've gone to.

Just FYI, the conversion rate for this A$2400 projector brings it to around 800Pounds in your language, so I think its pretty cheap.

1 last question if I may. - Digital Television has just started here this year, we have SD & HD. If I get a HD set top box will this projector cope with HighDefinitioin TV - or was it built before DTV was around ?

I have looked up all the sites I can, and cant find this nifo.
    Projector Contral has a great write up (thanks to you for that link) but it has "Unknown" ne3xt the the DTV compatibility section. - But it does not say NO.

This is the last nail for me to make my decision - whether it is compatible with HD Digital Broadcasts or not.

Thanks again, sorry to take up all your time.

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its probably a better idea to ask on the http://www.avsforum.com lcd forum as the Americans have had HDTV for a while now, unlike us Brits who are in the dark ages!.

I did however find this article on google which may prove interesting reading :) http://www.cybertheater.com/Tech_Reports/HD_Projectors/hd_projector.html

Again I would ask people who have first hand knowledge of HDTV over at avsforum.com. I`m hoping that we get HDTV but I doubt it very much, this country is in the dark ages regarding digital tv and what the broadcasters could do with the technology available today.

James

7. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.

Would it accept SD digital if not HD ?
    Dont you have SD there in UK ?

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it would accept SD, the projector is natively 1024x768 which is ample resolution for that type of format. I`m not sure if perhaps a HDTV PCI decoder could perhaps downscale the image from HDTV source to 1024x768 or less?.

Are you going to be using a PC connected to the projector?

James

9. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems you may be in luck, I know quite a few people use the HIPIX HDTV decoder and are pleased with the results. However I just noticed one of its features, though I would ask over at avsforum.com if people use this option.

*) Convert all incoming video to 720p or 1080i
    now that is a very nice feature!...

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/hipix.htm

10. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again - I have posted in AVS so I'll see what they say since you were the only person to help me here.

It seems to me the HD TV thing might hinder the process - it is not 16:9 compatible I have just found out and I dont like the idea of buying a 4:3 now when widescreen is jusdt going to get more and more widespread (excuse the pun).

I dont have a PC-HT either so I lose the modifications available there. I think I might have to pass up this great chance and stick with my 34inch CRT.

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep to be honest if you did'nt want to use a HTPC with the projector then the picture quality would'nt be ideal imho. You need to spend a fair bit of money to get a projector with a decent scaler to connect directly to your cabletv/dvd consumer player.

I think in a year's time there will be some interesting budget projectors which bring mass market, quiet, high contrast home cinema experience to the living room :).

Im not sure how much the Panasonic AE100 costs in Australia but it may be worth demoing that unit although I would rather get an XGA native projector myself.

My mum and dad are currently whisking themselves around in Australia for 6 weeks, the lucky so and so's. I had better check on their home tomorrow oops!.

James