Help upgrading KEF KHT2005.3 sat speakers with restricted speaker placement

p28nay

Hi all, my current AV setup is a 5.2.1 with Kef KHT2005.3 satellite speakers which have served me well but they are quite old now and would possibly like to upgrade them to something else to get a more fuller and detailed sound.

The main problem I have in looking for upgrades is that I am limited to what I could buy. I don't have enough floor space for floor standers with how the lounge is laid out as it's so close to the door where people walk in and out of the lounge it would easily get knocked. Satellite speakers would work again but I'm not sure I would benefit by improving something that this is like for like.

Is there anything folks could recommend based on this photo of my setup?

Thanks

Attachments

• av.jpg
    av.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 31

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Can I ask what you would be partnering the speakers with (i.e. what's your AVR)?

An obvious choice would be something like the Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 as they would give you a little more than the KHT2005.3 speakers, But ultimately it also depend upon your budget to. If you wish to keep a similar sound, When I demo'd the T-105 speaker package, it delivered a similar sound to the KHT3005SE which certainly surprised me looking at how slender they are, yes they do rely heavily on the woofer, but for the rest of speaker range, they're quite good.

If you are looking for secondhand, maybe look at E305 speakers from Kef to. They are designed round the KHT2005 dome with brand new tweeter and midrange drivers taken from Q and R design program to deliver great performance levels. The only thing you really have to watch out for is them drooping. My mum as them with a Yamaha and that's the only thing that really is a pain, sound wise they're great

p28nay

At the moment I would be partnering it with my Sony STR-DN1080 amp with the aim of replacing that with a Denon x3700.

Discussed in another thread:

For now, I have decided to replace the front LCR speakers and sub. Purchased 3 x Monitor Audio A40s (2 of them from another member in the classified section on this forum) and an SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer and run this on the existing Sony amp. When the Apex A40's turn up I'll be rewiring the speakers so the L and R speakers are next to the TV. At the moment the Kef Eggs are too far wide apart and that should improve things quite a fair bit.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
The Apex speakers are a great upgrade and will give you loads of scope for future upgrades when you've finished with the Sony

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom