Help! Unknown interference issue with picture - Humax Freesat

enilno

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've currently got an issue when watching anything on my Humax Foxsat HDR freesat box. A strange intereference/blocking seems to happen every couple of seconds and i'm looking for advice on what this could be (it's been happening a while).

Here is a link with a short video of the issue:

Current setup: Samsung TV (dont have this issue with any other devices connected) connects via HDMI junction box to Humax Freesat HDR which connects directly out to satellite on roof.

I dont know enough about AV to guess where the fault may be or what to test/try to diagnose it.

Any advice much appreciated.

a few basic tests..

try switching other near by or connected things off one by one & check if it goes off

try disconnecting anything else that's connected to the foxsat or tv so you just have the tv & foxsat & see if it still happens [including any av leads / aerial leads/ ethernet etc..]

if it still does it try it in another tv

does it do it from cold or only after it has been on for a while

Last edited:
What happens if you connect the Humax direct to TV eliminating "HDMI junction box" (whatever that is - do you mean switch or splitter?)

Hi and welcome to the forum.
The Humax should connect direct to the TV without a junction box, and to the satellite DISH at the other end.

to the satellite DISH at the other end
to the LNB, directly, then indirectly to a satellite.:) so missing out the 'middle men' does not indicate inaccuracy, just omissions.:D
Another thing that I'm always puzzled about, it why do peeps record videos on their phones in vertical 9x16 especially when recording the output from a 16x9 TV? Turn it on its side and record in 16x9, it will then fit a TV or computer monitor nicely.
But the above advice is sound. Check whether it works with minimum connections. Another possibility is that your dish has been 'blown off' a bit in the recent high winds, but you need to know whether it's 'local to the box' interference first before going onto the roof to re-align the dish, as this is the hardest bit.

Last edited:
Why on earth do they record videos to mobile phones in anything?!

Some of the latest phones will record high quality 1080p60 content in excellent quality. They aren't cheap though :). The latest Sony I believe has 4K60 recording.

In common with drone cameras, they are tiny but surprisingly capable.

Because they can and might not just have a suitable video camera to hand. It just surprises me how much stuff there is on YouTube and the dreaded TV caught on camera programmes that the 'photographer' can't be assed to turn the phone on its side and record a picture that is going to fit almost any screen other than his phone. It makes you wonder why TV and films are not made in 9x16. What's all this widescreen that peeps pay loads of £££ for anyway.

I've got the same interference on my Panasonic TX-P42G20B but only on ITVHD since a few days ago. I believe this channel has recently moved satellite and transponder.
Could the transponder be faulty as I have high enough signal strength & quality.

JonUK

I've got the same interference on my Panasonic TX-P42G20B but only on ITVHD since a few days ago. I believe this channel has recently moved satellite and transponder.
Could the transponder be faulty as I have high enough signal strength & quality.

JonUK

Try a rescan or factory reset & rescan

They've upped the foreword error correction on most ITVHD channels which has caused these initial issues on some Pana's & makes it a % harder to receive but rescanning on the Panas seems to sort it [for now]

My question was why would anyone want to record a VIDEO to a telephone.
I suppose they can justify using it as a camera.:)

And my answer was to your question as restated and is still the same. Because they can.
How convenient is it to be able to make short video recordings on something that you carry about most of the time? I just wish that the peeps would turn the bloody thing on its side and get a decent aspect ratio suitable for playing on almost anything half decently. There seems to be a lot said for selfie sticks as everything I have seen taken using them has been 16x9 aspect ratio rather than the stupid tall, thin offerings of others.:)
Oh, and is the phone not being used as a camera when it is used for capturing video then?:facepalm:

Can't say I'd noticed 9x16 as opposed to 16x9 but if they do you're right.:)

Then look at the video in the first post for an example.:facepalm:

That looks like what happens on my freetime box video for a very short time when my Foxsat-hdr shuts down (maybe a couple of frames). I have always put this down to 12/18V lnb power from the Foxsat shutting down. Could be a failing lnb perhaps ?

Try a rescan or factory reset & rescan

They've upped the foreword error correction on most ITVHD channels which has caused these initial issues on some Pana's & makes it a % harder to receive but rescanning on the Panas seems to sort it [for now]

Just Tried a factory reset but didn't make any difference.
I doubt Panasonic will put out a firmware update to correct this on such an 'old' TV.

JonUK

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom