Question Help! Unbelievable Antenna problem

floorhead

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I have come across the strangest problem that is stumping a repair service company and our antenna installer.

We have a Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT30B purchased in 2012 and working fine until last week, when suddenly it reported "no signal" on all channels. All HDMI ports work fine with Blu Ray, Apple and Amazon TVs.

The new external antenna was installed 2.5 years ago and there is no booster. The installer came last week and tested the antenna signal with his portable TV and received all channels. He also confirmed a strong signal from the antenna. At this point it looks like a TV tuner problem and he recommends a repair service company.

The company collected the TV and while doing so, bring in a TV from their van hook it up to our antenna. It receives all channels.

At their shop they re-welded some of the tuner connections. They test our TV over night and receive all channels with no problems. They bring the TV back to our house. No channels!

They take the TV back to their shop and it is working fine and they want me to see it working there.

This makes no sense. The antenna installer and the repair shop both see that the antenna signal at our house is strong and all channels are available on other TVs. Our TV works at the repair shop. But it doesn't work at our house.

What the heck could be the cause of this?! And if you say it is a ghost, well, I am about ready to believe you.

The repair shop is recommending replacing the tuner, but I just don't understand why this is necessary.

Thanks in advance for any sane advice.

Do you have anything else connected to the TV? We installed a TV and it was fine (a Sony), then installed a Panasonic recorder. As soon as the HDMI cable (not the aerial as one would expect) was plugged into the TV we lost signal from the TV built in tuner. Unplug and then the picture came back

Do you have anything else connected to the TV? We installed a TV and it was fine (a Sony), then installed a Panasonic recorder. As soon as the HDMI cable (not the aerial as one would expect) was plugged into the TV we lost signal from the TV built in tuner. Unplug and then the picture came back

Sorry just re read your post. Try the TV with nothing else plugged in and see what happens, then attach each device in turn and see if one is draining the signal

Thanks for the suggestion. There is nothing else plugged into the TV while testing at the house or in their shop. I only plug in something when we are ready to stream or watch a disc.

I just tested the TV at another antenna point in our house and it works. The repair guy was supposed to have done this but did not. So it looks like I will be calling the antenna guy back.

Thanks all

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom