Help - TV displays DVD's from other regions in black and white

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MyMateJohn, Sep 16, 2003.

1. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

My Region 2 DVD's play perfectly, full colour, but when I try my Region 3 copy of Gattaca it displays in black and white, this goes for all my other non-region 2 DVDs

The TV is a 28" non-widescreen Sanyo TV bought from the UK about 8-9 years ago, and an AIWA multiregion DVD player which is marked "Region 3" and was purchased in Brunei :rolleyes:

The Aiwa connects to the TV by component in, on the front panel of the TV. The Aiwa also has S-Video out.

The Aiwa has a switch on the underside of the unit, from which "PAL" or "NTSC" can be chosen. Unfortunately, this has had no effect on output of the Region 2 or non-Region 2 DVDs. The only difference is that the Aiwa splash screen (when no disc is loaded) is displayed in colour when in "PAL" mode and black and white in "NTSC" mode.

My other TV works fine with the Aiwa player so I believe the problem is with the TV.

What do I have to do to get colour from my other DVDs with this TV (willing to buy adapters, etc.)?

Thanks in advance.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    it sounds like the tv itself doesnt support NTSC - B&W pics are a classic symtom of this.

you best bet is to buy a newer telly that supports ntsc

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The front panel of TV's do not have Component. What you are using is Composite. YUK!

Use S-Video (small round multi-pin) or SCART RGB. Much better quality.

Have a look in the TV's menu for Auto or manually change to NTSC.

4. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoops, thanks for the correction!

The front panel has yellow, red, and white inputs, red and white for left and right audio channels, yellow for the video.

My TV doesn't have a S-Video in, it does have SCART, so what do you guys suggest?

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    thats not component its just normal composite.

Does the telly have an S-video enabled scart - they're usually a blue socket instead of black.

if not does the dvd player have composite out (same as the telly a yellow socket). if it does you can feed that along with the stereo to the scart socket.

you can get an adapter that does composite/s-video to scart. I may have one to sell if you need one - let me know.

6. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge, I'll let you know on my progress soon.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    I doubt that sending SVideo (in preference to Composite) will get over the NTSC in B&W issue.

What is needed here is either:

a) a new TV that supports NTSC or
    b) a new DVD player that supports PAL60 as an output OR a new DVD player that will produce RGB via SCART - provided the TV has RGB Scart enabled or
    c) a NTSC > PAL60 converter

I would guess that a DVD player bought in R3 land will not have any SCARTs on it - these are a European-only feature.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    R3 DVD players do not have scart at all in my experience only RCA composite, Mini din for S-Video and RCA component. get a new TV or dont buy R3 disc (ntsc encoded ones), (PAL R3 should be fine)

9. siadwel

siadwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a copy of a film that also was in b/w. I tried this disc on other peoples tv/dvd and it worked (try this first) even with my dvd player and /or scart lead. So was it my 1990 mitsubushi tv faulty ? No, I tried 3 scart leads b4 i found a scart lead that worked. I presumed all scart leads were the same, but obviously not. Much cheaper than changing my telly , but it did give me some headaches.

10. MyMateJohn

MyMateJohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There wasn't any NTSC mode on my TV :(

Suppose that's that.

Thanks anyway guys.