Question Help! TV advice needed please, lost in the research, £1k to spend

marktomlin

I am after some advice please. Here is a bulleted summary of situation / requirements for a dedicated TV room. What i am lost on is the fact that despite there now being MASSIVE choice, the advances in tech since my Sony for example (see below) seem to have been limited to depth of TV, and smart features. the other 'advances' seem to have been at the expense of other things, like view angle, blacks, burn in.

what have i looked at? may be easier to say what i havnt! I'm drawn to samsung and sony. I'm put of by hisense, but i think thats to do with no brand knowledge.

Source (% use): Digital arial, SD/ HD mix (10%), Netflix (30%), Amazon (30%), catch up (iPlayer mostly) (30%)
Type: Movie/ TV series (80%), sport/ general (20%)
Distance: from centre of TV to viewing position directly in front of TV is 10ft. there will be a corner sofa so either side will be sightly closer, but off centre and on angle
Viewing angle: 60 to 75 degree arc max, so from centre of TV each side is 30 to 35 degrees max. the majority of viewing will be on or +1.5m either side.
Conditions: 80% in evenings, with side lamps, curtains drawn (in winter) - rarely in pitch dark
Current TV: in playroom / lounge / kitchen space = Samsung UE40NU7120. Previous to that Sony KDL40Z5800U. I am/ was happy with them both. Reason for that 'change' was to save space/ get smart features.
Motion: I am not sure i fully understand this. I understand the concept that different input gets fed in different htz, but what I've concluded is you only get 'soap opera' if you turn the motion smoothing effect on. Since i won't be watching loads of sports i think this is not a bid deal for me???

Other stuff
size - this driving me crazy. the room can take either 55" or 65". i was alway of the opinion (before i got buried in this website) that bigger = better. but it seems not, esp with SD vs HD v UHD vs 4k vs viewing angle etc.......
not more than £1k or if you go higher, needs to be on finance or similar.
SD needs to look good, and what i mean by that not horrendous. the NU7120 we have, we are happy.
I dont mind playing with calibration settings
i really dislike getting a lamp / sun glare in the screen
connections: it will get its HMDI inputs from Yamaha RX-V675. I've read about 2.0 vs 1.4, and am frankly lost. help! what does that mean, does it matter?
sound - dont care - will get it via AV Amp and good speakers
needs to be smart TV and easy to use. integrated appleTV a plus, but i won't die in a ditch over it. i can alway buy the apple unit later.

thank you very much!

LG88

I’m torn right now between the Samsung Q8DNA and the Sony XF90. Both 55” models. Similarly priced. I’ve had some great help in there, but I’m still unsure on which to pull the trigger on.

Talk about av receivers and Apple TV in there too.

Question - New 55” TV... XF90 or Q8DNA?

Dodgexander

There is a lot to talk about but I'll try break it down to be as simple as I can;

1. Viewing angles - The best LCD TVs for picture quality now are not models that have good viewing angles. At 30-35 degrees off to the side of the TV you may notice the image gets darker and more washed out. Some people notice it more than others. There is an easy way for you to know the answer to this though; check your Samsung. It like the best models today is using a VA type panel and will have poor viewing angles. If you are happy with its viewing angles at 35 degrees then you know you will be safe with another LCD using the same panel type.
  2. Size 55" versus 65" - without £1500 to spend you have to compromise. You can go for a higher end model which will give more gains in all areas and especially good HDR performance. If you aim for a 55" OLED you'll get substantial gains in picture quality across board. If you go for a cheaper, but larger TV then you will get more immersion and see more detail in high quality sources. 10 ft is very far to view an UHD TV with UHD content so definitely going for a 65" model is a good idea. There's no one-size-fits-all solution though, some people may prefer a smaller TV and care in particular about HDR content looks when they use it.
  3. SD & upscaling - the larger you go the worse SD is going to look. You will not enjoy watching SD material on a larger UHD model anyway be it 55" or 65". Just try to avoid it as much as possible and don't worry so much about which TV is better at upscaling than the next. With SD its the case of "polishing the turd" now. Catchup TV is mostly available in only SD (and its awful quality too), the only exception being some content in HD (720p) on the iPlayer. That will probably look "soft" especially on a 65" TV at 10ft away and its a hell of lot better than what the other channels services offer but its still pretty poor.
  4. HDMI - you need HDMI 2.0a to pass UHD and HDR, if you connect any devices through a device that only supports HDMI 1.4 its likely only going to work at 1080p and not 2160p. I looked up your receiver which looks like it has 4k upscaling but its not HDMI 2 which means you will be limited to only 1080p or 2160p at a maximum of 30hz.
  5. Your chosen TVs and clearance options. All TVs come with a standard 1 year manufacturers warranty, regardless of whether the TV is new or refurbished. Its only because retailers have a sales battle in the UK that some offer the 4-5 extra years on top. If you value such a warranty then its worth instead looking at a model that comes with it. On the other hand the prices for each model you saw in clearance are very reasonable so I could not blame you for wanting to try one of those instead. Is there more of a risk? Yes definitely, but that isn't to say there isn't also a risk buying new.
EDIT* sorry if you only saw half of my post to begin with, I accidentally hit post before I have finished. More about the size vs quality debate here: Size matters

Last edited:

marktomlin

Many thanks for all your thorough advice. Its seems the Samsung 65Q6FN and 65NU8000 can be picked up for circa £1k. Are they basically the same TV? The specs look very similar. Which one is preferable?

Dodgexander

Many thanks for all your thorough advice. Its seems the Samsung 65Q6FN and 65NU8000 can be picked up for circa £1k. Are they basically the same TV? The specs look very similar. Which one is preferable?
They are the same but the Q6FN has the addition of quantum dot tech so it has better colours when you use HDR on it compared to the NU8000.

Otherwise (and for any content that isn't HDR yet) the NU8000 is identical.

marktomlin

That makes sense, thanks.

Though, I am concerned about the firms selling the 2018 65Q6FN and 2018 65NU8000 and their reviews/ ability to honour advertised 5yr warranties.

Does anyone have experience of:
  • Reliant (Q6 @ £1,039)
  • Beyond Televisions (Q6 @ £1,039) - same firm as Reliant??
  • HiFi Confidential (NU8000 @ £1,099)
  • Simply Electrical (NU8000 @ £1,079)
I am therefore drawn to Richer Sounds who have the 2019 65RU8000 at the same prices as the 2018 65NU8000 (£1,099). Are these the same TV - any difference? If not substantial, then I may punt for 65RU8000 and get the 6yr warranty.

OR

John Lewis are doing the 2019 65RU7400 @ £899. I know this is a different TV to the RU8000, but what are the key difference, and how do they materialise themselves?

Dodgexander

The new RU8000 falls short compared to its predecessor unfortunately so it isn't as a fantastic deal getting it for that price as you may think.

Take a look at: Samsung NU8000 vs Samsung RU8000 Side-by-Side TV Comparison

Same is true for the Q60R as the replacement for the Q6FN. In particular the drawbacks seem to involve HDR where the peak brightness is more limited.

If however HDR is not a priority for you, it shouldn't matter so much.

Don't bother with the lower tier RU7400, Samsung tend to use a mix of panels in their lower range and you for sure lose better motion as they do not come with 120hz panels.

Hificonfidential.co.uk have the NU8000 with a 5 year warranty, they get good reviews on trustpilot: Samsung UE65NU8000 UHD HDR TV| Hi Fi Confidential

I don't think there is anything wrong with reliant or beyond or alike but if you miss out on the extended warranty its probably not worth buying from them instead.

afcju

Out of interest, is there any difference between the 65NU8000 and 65NU8500 other than the flat/curved screens? Is there any difference in quality? I can't see anything different on the specs but thought it a good idea to check with those who know more than myself as the price difference seems too substantial for the TVs to be exactly the same!

slowpoke

Just picked up the Lg SK8500 65 inch for £969 from Reliant Direct with 5 year warranty...think I have made the right decision and got a decent price.

Zela

Standard Member
They are the same but the Q6FN has the addition of quantum dot tech so it has better colours when you use HDR on it compared to the NU8000.

Otherwise (and for any content that isn't HDR yet) the NU8000 is identical.
We got Q6FN and it's great :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom