Help TV 4k 55

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by stefa1991, Aug 17, 2018.

1. stefa1991

stefa1991
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, which is the best overall TV in this list?
    I Will use it for Netflix, movie, standard tv, pc. No gaming.

LG 55uk7550pla
    Samsung ue55nu7400
    Philips 55pus7303

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    It's hard to know when I don't know what panel type the Samsung or Philips has. The LG will almost certainly be IPS. The other too may be too. Perhaps the Samsung is most likely of all 3 to be using a VA panel.

So if you want the best chance of a VA panel get the Samsung.
    But if you prefer the idea of IPS, wider viewing angles for example get the LG.

Here is a good explanation of the differences: IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs

Panel type is the major factor with a TVs picture quality so its the first question to answer really.

In terms of usability, LGs smart TV gets the most praise, Samsung a close second whilst the Philips is using Android TV which has more choice of apps but is also the slowest and buggiest.

Motion will be similar on all, all using 60hz panels, maybe you prefer Philips or Samsung motion to LG, some people do.

3. stefa1991

stefa1991
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the LG has an ips panel Edge led with nano Cell tecnology( like quantum dot from samsung) and web os 4.0 , latest version os from LG. But display spec show Only 300 cd brightness

Samsung has a VA panel and hdr 10 + support

Philips has a va panel with direct led and the processor p5 same as OLED models

LG has 2400 PMI score while Samsung and Philips Only 1600 or 1700.

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    @stefa1991 where are you getting your panel information from? If its displayspecifications.com they are often wrong.

My take on it:

The Samsung - usually use different panels on the same TV. It tends to be a lottery with them. I don't think you are guaranteed to get a VA panel on it...although more likely than the others. Haven't seen a review of the TV yet confirm which panel they got and even then it may be different from the same TV to next.

The Philips - usually use IPS panels although said that they would be using more VA this year, as far as I aware the only model sure to have a VA panel is the 50" model. The others, not so sure. They can be VA or IPS.

The picture processor I wouldn't worry about specs so much, you should just judge from viewing the TVs motion and upscaling you prefer.

PMI - No one really knows how that's calculated, manufacturers make it up using their own score points for features and specifications, it means next to nothing to anyone really.

So overall, do not think that panel info is widely available, its usually not. They hide it well even when you contact manufacturers. To be absolutely sure you would have to own each TV, but maybe it's possible you see signs of different panel types by viewing each TV in person and noticing differences in viewing angles or contrast/blacks, although the latter is really only noticeable in dark viewing conditions.

At least in the UK a better option priced around the same as these would be the Hisense 55U7A. Maybe even some of last years models on a discount will also be better value where you are.

Btw, panel bit depth means next to nothing, its also really not important. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between 10bit and 8bit+FRC and probably not plain 8bit either. All more panel bit depth means is better gradation from one colour to the next and you usually have to be quite close to notice that. On the other hand I know some TVs with 8bit panels with smoother gradients than 10bit. So I would not really worry about this.

5. stefa1991

stefa1991
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I' m from Italy, the hisense 55u7a is very interesting and around same price in my area. I' m worried about the os, updates and the smart part of the hisense TV.
    The only 2 TVs i have seen are the Samsung and the LG and the LG display was very beautiful and looks better than the Samsung.
    Is the hisense really better ?

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    Its technically a better TV because it uses a 120hz panel at 55" and 65". The 65" version was recently reviewed here: Hisense U7A (H65U7AUK) Review

Unlike the other models we know for sure it has a VA panel and it has good build quality too.

A 120hz panel lets you use motion enhancements more effectively to clear up blur and judder.

There are other aspects which you can't find regarding a TV if it isn't reviewed. Out of the box accuracy with colour and grey scale is one. How many colours the TV is able to produce also plays a part. The Hisense did well in these area for the price.

The other models you mention I really don't know much about, their predecessors weren't great and panel info is bleak.

If you judge a TV in a shop you need a dark demo room, control of the remote so you can put the TV in its correct picture mode and have a play with different motion settings to be sure of which you like the best. If you only view demo loop material in store lighting conditions and judge the TV based on that you are judging it based on what looks best in the shop, not at home.

Having said that, no matter which model you get, you will probably be happy.

Can't comment on app selection outside of the UK but Hisense smart TV is more favourable than Android TV in terms of speed and ease of use, all the main apps are there here such as Netflix and Amazon. It also has no ads unlike Samsungs smart TV, if you care about that.