Help turntable to speakers

soulblighter

Novice Member
Reaction score
Evening All,

After a random drunken purchase of a turntable, I'm now wondering what's the best way to connect it to the speakers, that have been satting in my garage for about 20 years. The turntable in question is a Sony PS-LX310BT and the speakers are Acoustic Solutions Powerforce 2000. In my drunken state I'd just assumed that they would work fine together, now once I've looked into it I see that not the case. So I'm now guessing I have to connect it via an amplifier or buy some new speakers? So the question is which would be the best way to do it and without spending a fortune and getting a good sound? I don't know if this needed the speakers have a sticker (means nothing to me) on the back saying this long term power 220 watts, Short term power 300 watts, frequency range 45Hz - 20KHz and Impedance 8 ohms.

Thanks for any help you can give me and apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

You're in the right thread. You do need an amplifier, or a set of powered speakers. Have you a budget in mind at all?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply Malaga, I was thinking of a budget around £100. I did noticed that product when I had a look on Amazon, but after seeing some amplifiers at the £800 mark I thought it better to get some advice. Also, I thought that wouldn't work due to seeing an image of the turntable having red and white cables coming from it?

Attachments

• sony-PS-LX310BT-bluetooth-turntable-4.jpg
    sony-PS-LX310BT-bluetooth-turntable-4.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 45
Upvote 0
A quick Google and I notice your new purchase has both a Phono stage built in and also Bluetooth.

This means amp wise any amp with an analogue input spare would work.

The Bluetooth also means you get it going just with a set of BT headphones or a BT speaker, you won't necessarily be hearing the TT at its best but it could get you going until you next get drunk and buy an amplifier.

Upvote 0
If your budget is 100 and the speakers you have work, I'd be looking to get any second hand Marantz amp with a phono stage you can find in your budget.
I've always been impressed with Marantz, especially with turntables, their phono stages are generally excellent.
I got a PM5004 for about 130 which is a little over your budget but it sounds amazing for the price and I'm sure you can get older variants cheaper.

Upvote 0
Thank's for the replies, I was bidding for a Sony STR-DA1200ES but didn't win (dont know if that was a good or bad thing). Had a look at the Marantz PM5004 on ebay but none are for sale in the UK. I can see a PM6004 dont know if that any better? I dont mind paying a little extra if it worth it.

Thank's again for all the help

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom