Help trying to get PS3 Network Working Over Ethernet Homeplugs??

leeb1977

Standard Member
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me??

I'm trying to get my PS3 working via the Ethernet connection, using the Homeplugs I've got which are Devolo DLAN200's...

I've got the router (Sky Netgear), connected to one in the kitchen, with another connected to my PC upstairs. These work fine.

Then I have one in the living room, connected to the PS3. It's definitely connected to the Network, as when I turn the PS3 on, it comes up green, and the Network logo comes on.:smashin:

However, when I go through the settings on the PS3 to connect up, it fails at the first hurdle, trying to find an IP Address!!! :thumbsdow

Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same experience?

I'm using the easy settings when trying to set it up, is there anything I should be inputting manually to get it working?

Thanks in advance!!

Lee

Moolers

I use zyxel 200 Homeplugs and they work perfectly, keep trying I'm sure it's just that they're not paired or something.

CraigofScotland

Distinguished Member
awesome thread, just what i was after. i use (pc world own brand :p versions ) through the sky netgear . and waas wondering when i get my ps3 next weekend is it better to hardwire through powerline or use wireless??

sorry for the thread hijak but I guess you would be the one to ask :eek:

leeb1977

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick replies!!

Yeah, I've got it set to wired, so it then goes through the set up.

I'm at work at the moment, but from memory, I chose:

Easy Setup

Then followed the defaults for all the other settings, bar setting the IP address, as an option, it's set to manually input, but i chose Auto.

When I tried doing the manual input, it asked for a few other details apart from just the IP address, which I wasn't sure on, so I thought Auto should be ok?

StevieBuck

I have a pair of these at home but I'm unsure how it works if you add more homeplugs - doesn't each piece of connected equipment need its own ethernet socket connection to the router? Or can they share the same one?

Maybe try turning off the 3rd hoemplug connected to the PC?

leeb1977

Standard Member
awesome thread, just what i was after. i use (pc world own brand :p versions ) through the sky netgear . and waas wondering when i get my ps3 next weekend is it better to hardwire through powerline or use wireless??

sorry for the thread hijak but I guess you would be the one to ask :eek:

Well, not to sure yet myself!! He he.. Can't get the damn thing to work, although spent a long time looking into it, and everything I read said you do see a difference using the Homeplugs rather than wireless...

Although, the only difference I see so far is the inability to connect to the network now!! :suicide:

leeb1977

Standard Member
I have a pair of these at home but I'm unsure how it works if you add more homeplugs - doesn't each piece of connected equipment need its own ethernet socket connection to the router? Or can they share the same one?

Maybe try turning off the 3rd hoemplug connected to the PC?

I believe they can share the same one!! Although, I will go home and try that. Might at least resolve one issue, even if it causes another!!

the_grinder

I use zyxel 200 Homeplugs and they work perfectly, keep trying I'm sure it's just that they're not paired or something.

I use these too. Works perfectly and the PS3 connected first time.

If your PS3 can't find an IP address it could be because you haven't got DHCP switched on on the router.

Each device does require it's own homeplug, but you only need the one for the router itself.

rob1sp

I have some of the Zyxel Homeplugs too, and they work without a hitch, the one homeplug connected to the router and the other connected to PS3 in room at the other end of the house.

To answer question about each piece of hardware needing ethernet connection, you only need the one plug connected to the router via ethernet cable, which takes signal through the house wiring.

As long as you have one connected to the router you can have any number of plugs plugged in wherever else in the house you need them. Each one has an ethernet connection on it which you connect to whatever piece of hardware is in that particular room.

When setting it up on the PS3 I went through the Easy Setup option, did everything automatically, it picked the wired connection up and has worked without a problem ever since.

leeb1977

Standard Member
I use these too. Works perfectly and the PS3 connected first time.

If your PS3 can't find an IP address it could be because you haven't got DHCP switched on on the router.

Each device does require it's own homeplug, but you only need the one for the router itself.

Thanks for that advice!! Will get home and try turning DHCP on the router..

So, the next question would be, how do I switch on DHCP on the router?? I'm just searching Google at the moment, and can not find a straight answer!!

the_grinder

Thanks for that advice!! Will get home and try turning DHCP on the router..

So, the next question would be, how do I switch on DHCP on the router?? I'm just searching Google at the moment, and can not find a straight answer!!

Thinking about it, if it's a Sky router it should already be on, because I believe they are kind of plug n play for easy home use.

Have you tried running an ethernet cable directly into the router and getting the PS3 online that way?

That would be my first port of call.

If that works, then try through the homeplugs, you shouldn't have to go through the set up again.

Moolers

Thinking about it, if it's a Sky router it should already be on, because I believe they are kind of plug n play for easy home use.

Have you tried running an ethernet cable directly into the router and getting the PS3 online that way?

That would be my first port of call.

If that works, then try through the homeplugs, you shouldn't have to go through the set up again.

That's good advise, if it works via ethernet cable then it should work with your Homeplugs, I reckon theyre just not paired, keep trying its usually very easy.

ColdKilla

And how do these 200 wotsit units work with streaming HD content using the PS3 Media Server???

Mark

the_grinder

And how do these 200 wotsit units work with streaming HD content using the PS3 Media Server???

Mark

Very well :thumbsup: with SD Media, not tried any HD over them yet, but should be fine, since my router is only 10/100 speed and is therefore the weak link in the chain.

I used to stream SD Media from my PC through the PS3 using wireless G and this worked pretty well, but every 20 mins or so it would pause for about 3 seconds to refill the buffer I guess. The 200 speed homeplugs solved this issue for me.

Must try some HD content.........

the_grinder

Works fairly well, I usually copy HD content onto PS3 hardrive though.

Does the PS3 have a gigabit ethernet adapter?

Maybe I should upgrade to a gigabit switch instead of using my routers built in one.

ColdKilla

I can stream SD OK on wireless however the 720p and 1080i stuff is just too much with lots of jerkiness over wireless - Copying them over is ok but takes time over wireless, obviously this will improve with the plugs but i wanna really try to stream the HD stuff in 5.1 rather than waste time copying it all over!

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I used to stream HD stuff using 200mb devolo homeplugs (used to get 100mb throughput).

720p stuff was fine (iffy ffwd/rwd though) but 1080p was still jerky.

I've since moved to wired via a gigabit switch and the difference is a huge improvement. Even 1080p plays perfectly now with perfect ffwd/rwd as well.

the_grinder

I used to stream HD stuff using 200mb devolo homeplugs (used to get 100mb throughput).

720p stuff was fine (iffy ffwd/rwd though) but 1080p was still jerky.

I've since moved to wired via a gigabit switch and the difference is a huge improvement. Even 1080p plays perfectly now with perfect ffwd/rwd as well.

Is that going through homeplugs as well? Or just PC - Switch - PS3?

ColdKilla

pardon my ignorance but what is a gigabyte switch? and how would I use one?

ColdKilla

Ahh well i needed to use the homeplugs as I dont have a network cable from the router or pc to the ps3 - well I do but that currently is transferring HD using baluns so i doubt I can use that twice....???

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Ahh well i needed to use the homeplugs as I dont have a network cable from the router or pc to the ps3 - well I do but that currently is transferring HD using baluns so i doubt I can use that twice....???

If you've already got a Cat5e/cat6 cable in place just put a switch on each end :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Technics announces SL-G700M2 SACD and music streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
The Amazon Prime Early Access Sale 2022: 11-12 October
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones