help troubleshooting wifi bridge for sky anytime+

finest1

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

i read on the net that people are using standard wifi bridges to connect to sky anytime+ as i thought £60 was too much i bought a wifi bridge for £20. i chose this wifi bridge because a few people have said they have used it and it worked.

let me describe a checklist to make it easier:

i have all the criteria for sky anytime+ as i have tested it with the router downstairs and ethernet cable. because of my PC setup the router has to be upstairs, hence the wifi bridge idea.

i have the latest amstrad sky hd 1.5tb box

the wifi bridge i have is a vonets

Vonets VAP11G Wifi Bridge Wireless Dreambox,PS3 & XBox | eBay UK

i followed instructions and the wifi bridge picked up my sky router, i entered password and finished the installation.

now, when i attach the wifi bridge to the sky box it does not detect the router. when i check "network" on sky settings it shows fail. although the wifi bridge is on

as mentioned before i know it does work because i physically connected the router to it to check

what have i done wrong?

thanks in advance

finest1

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Probably nothing. The Sky receiver simply doesn't like the device.
You've probably seen also that people use homeplugs instead. Those do work.

WiFi bridges are notoriously hard to set up especially if you are not used to tampering with your router's set up.
Homeplugs, as Logi said, are the way to go.

I am using an ethernet hub between my Sky box and router. When I first connected it all up the Sky box wouldn't see the network. My first port of call in troubleshooting was to eliminate the ethernet hub (it was set to uplink and I used the correct ports) and connect the box directly to the Sky router. BINGO, connection found and Anytime+ worked right away. I then put the hub back between them and without altering the settings it worked and has done for the few months since with no trouble. Perhaps it needs a direct connection to set it up?

I have been using a linksys wrt54GS in bridged mode for a while connected to my sky box and haven't had any problems what so ever. You can easily get one of these off ebay cheap.

Stan..

I think you will need to plug the Sky box into the router to ensure it will talk to the outside world. I assume you are on Sky Broadband and have a compatable router ? You can buy a 30M cat 5 cable for less than £10 from CPC | CPC - Over 100, 000 products from one of the worlds leading distributors of electronic and related products. and just try it temporarily.

You could also try turning off DHCP on your Sky box and giving it a fixed IP address. Pick a fairly high number in the pool and you should be OK. On my home BT network, I can get my Sky box to see the router this way, but because it is not Sky Broadband, it will not connect to the outside world.

i have seen an advert this morning saying you get a free wireless connector, i think this was for existing customern who havent signed up yet for anytime +. (adverts on sky news) still dont understand why you cant download directly from router...why the need for yet another box?

just to point out im not confused with the wireless router as both are free!

Last edited:
Will this be ok for use with home plugs?

Buy Masterplug 4-Way Individually Switched 1m Extension Lead at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Leads and sockets.

I have read on this forum that home plugs doesn't like to be used with extension sockets because the power surge protectors stop it from working, will the above power extension be ok?
I have a free plug socket but my problem is the sockets in the house are on the skirting board and quite low to the floor so don't think a home plug will fit especially with the ethernet cable at the bottom of the home plug.

I have a 360, Playstation 3 and sky anytime+ and thinking of getting apple tv. I am not sure if i should just get a standard home plug 200mb speed or one that has 3 ethernet ports so rather than play games on my consoles over wi-fi I can connect via ethernet via the home plug, it might give me an advantage when playing online against people who are using wi-fi or wont it make much difference?

Thinking of getting one of these home plugs
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9295122/Trail/searchtext>HOME+PLUG.htm

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devol...pter-wireless-n-starter-kit-08658365-pdt.html

Just need some advice before I set off and purchase please. I was going to ring sky for a dongle until I read this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
... still dont understand why you cant download directly from router...

You can!

The wireless dongle is for those whose Sky box is nowhere near their router and who do not want a long cable hardwired to the router.

Way too expensive!!

Here's one example: Devolo dLAN 200 AV Plus SE (Special Edition) II Kit Black 200Mbps with Pass Through (1579) - dabs.com

I have seen homeplugs for as little as £39 a pair - look around........

Extension leads are not recommended but I think that relates more to the router end rather than the receiving end. Mine works fine this way.

Thanks, that one has 1 ethernet connection rather than 3. As I have a ps3, anytime+, 360 and thinking of getting apple tv should I opt for a 3 way ethernet connection over wi-fi? Would a homeplug 3 way ethernet make a big difference when streaming via apple tv and gaming?
If there isn't much difference in streaming and gaming via home plug over wi-fi I will order one of these

http://www.cclonline.com/product/39...werline-Ethernet-Adapter-Starter-Kit/NET1185/

or

http://www.cclonline.com/product/53...werline-Ethernet-Adaptor-Starter-Kit/NET1610/

is there any difference or are you just paying for the make? I see there are a fair few to chose fromhttp://www.cclonline.com/category/516/Networking/Wired-Networking/Mains-Networking/ but dont know which would be better. If there isn't much difference gaming and streaming over home plugs I will purchase one of the cheaper ones with 200mb single ethernet rather than 3 and with money saved will put it towards apple tv for streaming music and hire films in HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too expensive!!

Here's one example: Devolo dLAN 200 AV Plus SE (Special Edition) II Kit Black 200Mbps with Pass Through (1579) - dabs.com

I have seen homeplugs for as little as £39 a pair - look around........

Extension leads are not recommended but I think that relates more to the router end rather than the receiving end. Mine works fine this way.

The Netgear ones might be expensive but they work properly in multiway extensions whereas some of the cheaper ones don't.

You can!
The wireless dongle is for those whose Sky box is nowhere near their router and who do not want a long cable hardwired to the router.
Deja vu - that came up in another thread - thanks for confirming it.

If only....
I've posted additional rule 3 several times today.

hi all,

thanks for your replies, although the subject went off topic. i have now solved the problem and i will be posting a tutorial for those wishing to get anytime+ with little hardware, and half the standard set up costs

thanks

finest1

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom