1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Toshiba 42WT29B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dupfold, Sep 3, 2003.

1. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

While in the service mode I have some how managed to shift the picture to the left so now a quarter of the screen is blank. I've trying using the WID to correct this but to no good effect. This has only happened to the "wide" screen mode and all the other modes are fine.

Any ideas on how centre the picture again?

Thank You

Dean

2. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you need to adjust the HPOS (Horizontal Position) setting.

3. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THATS IT!!!

Thanks a lot dazzler! Now I can stop Disastercare (Mastercare) getting their hands on my T.V.

Do you know where I can download the service manaul?

The problem I was trying to fix is where the middle & top of the picture slopes slight down from left to right.

Thanks again!

4. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the service manual in pdf form on my pc here buts its about 20megs, i could always post the recommended default values if thats any help.

5. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you could post the recommended default values that would be great!

Do you the option name to adjust the screen tilt?

cheers

6. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    RCUT 40H
    GCUT 40H
    BCUT 40H
    RDRV 40H
    BDRV 40H
    BRTC 80H
    COLP 05H
    COLS 08H
    SCNT 08H
    SRY 07H
    SBY 04H
    HPOS 64H
    VPOS 07H
    HIT 31H
    VLIN 11H
    VSC 0EH
    VPS 1CH
    WID 22H
    PARA 11H
    CNR 00H
    TRAP 20H
    VFC 0FH
    VCEN 80H
    OPT3 01H

Bloody fingers ache now ;)

7. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PARA= E-W PARABOLA
    CNR=E-W CORNER
    TRAP=TRAPEZIUM
    VFC=V-F CORRECTION
    VCEN=V-POSITION (RASTER)

Hope this helps.

8. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent!!! You been a great help:clap:

9. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dazzler

I've tried those default values but the picture was quiet blue after that? Are these the values for 42Wt29B? Any ideas how I can get the picture back to how it used to be?

I was only trying to do the convergence but messed up the picture vaules working out the service menu. This happened all before I found this site :suicide:

I understand the my way around the menu now but is it too later as my colours are a mess?

Cheers

10. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes these are the values for the 42WT29B but not all are alike as the colours can be adjusted physically via a some dials behind the front panel so you may have to adjust the Cut and Drive of each colour to your liking.

You'll need to lower BCUT (Blue Cut) & BDRV (Blue Drive) until it looks better, you can do the same for RCUT, RDRV etc.

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errr no you don't! :lesson:

Drive & Cut settings (DRV/CUT) are for adjusting greyscale level. What you need is Avia DVD. Bring up the greyscale pattern. You have to use a light reader. Only qualied people can set greyscale levels.

I have tried adjusting RCUT/RDRV myself as I have Red Push problem. I wrote down the original values; then reduced RCUT/RDRV. It seemed to help- I tried a film that has lots of green. It looked OK. Then I tried a film with Blue (LOTR) This was out, as the mines of Moria stone walls are supposed to be grey, - but they were in fact blue. So I adusted the BCUT/BDRV. But this messed up green. So I adjusted the Green value. But this interacts with blue & red. Basically I couldn't get it right. I then tried the Windows (white) and it didn't look white. Then tried greyscale- it wasn't neutrel grey.

So I put the values back to the original settings.

There are three pots behing the speaker grille for adjusting colour, and another three for adjusting CRT electronic focus. I'm not sure if these colours pots are CUT or DRV. I adjusted Red only- again it doesn't help, as decreasing the red also affects other colours.

It could the decoder problem (in which case a engineer needs to go into design service level) or it could be the blue pot has been knocked. Hard to say.

If you've messed around with screen sizes without writing them down :suicide: you'll need Avia (NTSC only) to set the correct screen size (called Overscan) Probably need a PAL disc as well.

DO NOT ADJUST VPOS TOO MUCH AS THIS WILL FOOK THE TV UP YOU'LL LOOSE S-VIDEO INPUTS!!!

12. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The manual adjustments are for cutoff.

And i was guessing that seeing as dupfold hadnt physically touched these dials he maybe adjusted his R,G,B values but your right RDRV and BDRV are adjusted in design mode to get a clean white and RCUT, BCUT, GCUT adjusted in design to get the correct blackness, might give mine a stab tonight and see how i fair.

PS anyone know the best place to get the AVIA DVD from, last time i looked there was a newer one coming out ;)

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't know how to get into the deep level service menu do you? Not the mute/unmute one but the deeper one. I believe there are settings for adjusting the colour decoder in there.. it looks like I might have to do something like this..

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/warnings/colordecoder.html

My excessive reds are not overall- ie the image hasen't got a red sheen to it (ie if the black borders are slightly red) but only when large objects come on screen- say a big red button/lamp in Monsters Inc or when someone's wearing a red dress- that's when it seems to garish.

14. dazzler

dazzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Go into service mode (mute/unmute one), press call on the remote and press menu button on the TV, it then says press menu again not sure if this is before or after adjustments.

15. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh no! So in I've messed up my picture for good? Or should I adjust the RDRV and BDRV in design mode? What does this Avid dvd do?

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've adjusted all 6 settings without writing them down in the first place, most likely you've messed the set up. Think how many variables of the six numbers you get and you'll get a idea how difficult it is to put right if the settings are all messed up.

Wouldn't be too bad if only three settings, but CUT affects DRV, and each effects the other two, which in turn effect the first one when you change the other two.

17. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh! There can't be too much of a difference in values between different models as I've used a combination from the recommended values and your personal values and I've got the colours back to which I'm satisfied with. But saying that, the darker colours are very black and I can't amend this. Plus the red is still quite vibrant but reading all the other posts I realise this is a fault with many Toshiba's.

18. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you get the TV from? an I right in thinking this is a USA spec TV given the model No you are quoting

19. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it from Curry's 10 months ago. Its a 100hz digital intergrated TV. I've got cover on it but I can hardly say I've been messing with the service menu, or can I? I don't know why I brought the cover in the first place as I know if they take it away it will probably come back worst off! This is what happen to my last t.v anyways.

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't go into service level and not mess your set up I wouldn't even consider going into design level. There's about 200 settings in there.

I tried adjusting RCUT/RDRV in design level- same as service level; doesn't help.

I couldn't find the two settings to adjust the colour decoder either (ECLP &
    ECLT) So it looks like I'll have to live with the Red Push problem :(

It's Avia DVD- NTSC DVD disc full with video & audio test screens.

21. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm fine with the service menu's now. But I'm not touching the design menu. Any idea's where I can get hold of the Avia dvd?

Also do you think an engineer will be able to correct my colours?

22. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avia- check the powerbuy section from Piero Milani, £25 all in.

Depends how bad it is- if it's REALLY green/blue/red then he'll have to. But if it's only slightly out- that's within normal operating tolences. You'll need to get a ISF calibrator in. Even Gordon cannot set colour decoder for Toshiba RP's.. I don't know who can. I woudn't mind paying out £100-£200 to get greyscale & NTSC tint/colour decoder spot-on.

23. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could always record the values as they are now and then increase the rcut and bcut to the highest levels so its a real mess. I have an engineer coming round on Sat, maybe if he saw it this way he will order it too be taken away for a service.

They must have some way of getting the colours just right.

I've got it so most of the time the colours are fine but if there are a lot of vibrant colours on screen, i.e cartoons, the colours are just a mess, way too bright and vibrant. Its really bugging me now :mad:

I needed to learn the service menu as the convergence was way out and the engineer only corrected it for one ratio!

24. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw, these are my settings (to the best of my memory) Default contrast & colour settings do look awful.

Contrast 40
    Brightness 50
    Colour 35
    Sharpness -6

Yeah you need to do convergence for PAL Wide, PAL Superlive, PAL Cinema, PAL Subtitle. PAL 14:9 & 4:3 is extrapolated from PAL Subtitle & Cinema.

And NTSC Wide, NTSC Superlive, NTSC Cinema, NTSC Subtitle. NTSC 14:9 & 4:3 is extrapolated from NTSC Subtitle & Cinema.

So that's a total of 8

25. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats pretty much what I have for my settings.

So just what are the things you can do with the Avia dvd? I've read that its possible to make adjustments to the colour decoder but need this test disc to get the colours right?

26. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rolling documentarie explaining the obvious. Avia has lots and lots of video & audio tests. Too many to mention, but from the top of my head-

Audio
    Tones, phase, pink & brown noise, LF frequency sweep, individual speaker phase tests, speaker in/out phase pans and loads more.

Video
    Greyscale, saturation, black level, tint, colour decoder, geometry/convergence, widescreen tests (different ratios, and THX circle test) overscan, different IRE tests, grid patterns, sharpness, PLUGE...and loads more

Unless we can adjust the colour decoder settings- not much we can do. I'm able to find out the red is too high; but it's only on the better projectors it has proper service level adjustments.

27. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Natha,

I think when i read this that he screwed up with r-b and g cut in combined with rdrv and bdrv,and that he play around with brtc.

as i was out of control i played with these settings o the THX optimizer on the Star wars II disc.

I also have an test disc,but if you keep playing with the settings you will find out that you will find the correct settings.

Mvrg,
    Raymen

28. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rayman

Did having the test disc help you find the correct colour settings?

Do you think I should purchase the test disc?

29. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Yes i believe so.
    inside the testdisc is a bleufilter you put in front of your eyes,for correct balance between chroma and heu (colour and tint)

So i think you must buy the disc.

Mvrg,
    Raymen

30. dupfold

dupfold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds good. Wheres the best place to buy this from?