1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Toshiba 32WL48

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Tonester, Feb 16, 2005.

1. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the whole LCD thing so be gentle as this is my first post.

I'm after an new TV and figured why not get and LCD to replace my old CRT. So after trawling through almost every post in this forum and comparing everyone comments/views I have plumped for the Tosh 32WL48.
    I have ordered it from Digital Direct (again after reading users comments)and they tell me they are expecting stock sometime next week. So hopefully in a week or so I'll be all LCD'd up!

So... a few questions

1. People seem to suggest it needs tweaked somewhat upon arrival to gain the best picture quality - What are the best settings?

2. What is the best way to connect it to my other junk. I have a cheapo DVD and Video player and the PS2 will be looking to live there too. I suppose what I mean is, what does all this s-video and rgb stuff mean. I (naively) assumed I could just use my existing scarts.

3. Does a normal scart carry an RGB signal or has it gotto be an "RGB scart" lead. If so what is the best value for money one and how many will I need to connect the above stuff (yes I'm tight!)?

4. Ideally I wanted the 32WL48 in the black trim after seeing it on empire directs web site http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-32WL48P.htm.
    But after a phone call to Toshiba uk they inform me that this is only available outside of the UK in the black and that the photo must be incorrect on the web site. Has anyone ordered one from Empire and got a "black" one?

Cheers

2. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I have this TV myself, take a look at this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163501&highlight=32wl48

It contains settings from Mike246 which I use myself, with a bit of extra tweaking, like increasing the colour a bit.

Get a new dvd player like the Pioneer 575 with and use component cables to the TV and set it for progressive scan. I have this combo and get really good pictures. You could also get a component cable for your PS2, again. I have an xbox and use a component cable for it (means unplugging the dvd) but you could buy a home cinema amp which takes multiple component inputs and outputs them on one component cable which goes to the tv. Thats something I'm saving up for!

You can get scart cables that aren't fully wired and don't have all the pins connected and I don't believe these can carry and RGB signal over a scart socket. You can also get RGB only scart cables which don't carry sound for an apparently cleaner signal. Perhaps stick with a nice QED sqart cable, although in the past I have used Cambridge Audio scarts from Richer Sounds with pleasing results. (£10-20, standard/premium) although to hook up my Sky+ box I use a QED sqart, about £40. Your vcr can connect to the 3rd scart socket as it most likely wont output an RGB signal. Hope this all helps.

Don't know about the black trim 32WL48! I'm happy with the silver one :)

3. smokescreen

smokescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Deep-6 , is it true that the 32WL48 cannot accept a 1280x768 DVI input ? I remember reading that its DVI port is limited physically.

4. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tonester,

Good advice from Deep-6. I use all three scarts for SKY, Video and Toshiba Home Cinema which works fine. The purists will argue that component leads are better and they may be right.

The most critial control is the Sharpness one. It trades off sharpness for motion blurring. Mine is set to -6. Some users have commented that the set needs a couple of days' use to settle - I can see no reason for this but tend to agree. The Toshiba internal algorithms and gubbins, together with the 8mS LCDs ensure that you will get an unsurpassed picture.

One thing. Since I bought my Toshiba home cinema (to make up for the 7/10 sound quality on the 32WL48) someone on this forum pointed out that Samsung are marketing an HDMI DVD player for around £200. The spec looks good to me and if I did not have the home cinema, would consider that.

5. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi smokescreen, the 32WL48 doesn't have a DVI port, but it does have a VGA port which you could use with a DVI to VGA adapter from your PC. When I first got the tv I only hooked up my laptop (VGA-VGA) for a few minutes at 1024x768 and I've never tried to get anything higher on it although a couple of posts in other threads suggest it can go a bit higher. If I find these I'll let you know!

Cheers

6. smokescreen

smokescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for that, I guess thats the WL48 off my short list then.

7. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm pretty sure that the 32wl48 does have an HDMI port, though, which you could use with a dvi->hdmi adapter (or hdmi-hdmi lead from a hdmi dvd player). :)

I think it's fine for 720p and 1080i video from a dvd player, but no-one (if I remember right) has managed to get it to take a digital signal at the panel's native resolution from a computer. I could be wrong, but if you search you'll find mroe info on this.

8. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Big Thank you for the help, will try the settings in the link when It eventually arrives and give them a bash.
    Hopefully the beast will be here this time next week if Digital Direct ain't talking outa their bots!

I'll try it with my cheapo scarts first - but I'm gonna invest in a couple of half decent ones on arrival to try to unleash the beasts true potential. Not really looking to spend too much over £20 ish if possible so the beast might not be as unleashed as it could be. Any suggestions for half decient/cheap scarts?

Also this probably sounds stupid but what is progressive scan? Is that somthing on the DVD player?

Ta very much!

9. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Progressive Scan: this link should help explain what it is:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/beforeyoubuy/a/progressivescan.htm

Hope it helps. My simple explanation would be that its supposed to be a step up from RGB over Scart. Main thing is that component only carries video signals over the three cables, so you would need to take the audio from your dvd player seperately, either by digital (optical or coax) or Left and Right phono leads..