1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Toshiba 32WL48 - poor Sky+ picture

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by leo9, Nov 14, 2004.

1. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this TV for 3 days. Initially pleased with it but starting to realise that this unit displays most of Sky channels very poorly compared to 2-year old Sony CRT. Is this the TV's fault, Sky's or both? The best way I can describe the picture from LCD is blocky (on faces it's especially noticeable), as if watching poorly quality MPEG. Some SKy movie channels are better but still nowhere near quality of older Sony CRT.

Even watching DVD via high quality RGB scart is worse than CRT.

Sky+ is recent Pace, signal strength c. 80%, Signal Quality c. 90%.

Any else had same problem with this or other LCDs? Any suggestions to improve things? Bought it off the internet and presumably I have 7 day cancellation rights, but I need to decide whether to return it soon.

2. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Leo,

Cannot think of a reason for this as my own setup is fine and that includes an Amstrad decoder which will not be as good as your Pace.

Note my settings

Backlight 42
    Contrast 47
    Brightness 47
    Colour 38
    Sharpness -5
    DNR 3
    Black Stretch Off
    Colour Temperature Normal

The Sharpness is the control which has max effect on Pixellation.

3. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike, tried these settings and about 148,000 other ones but still similar problem really. Thing is, I'm comparing the picture with a 2-year old Sony CRT and it just doesn't compare. If I compare with 15 year old Sony then yes, the Tosh is miles better. From reading What Video etc., I thought that LCDs had now caught up with CRT and Plasma pic quality but maybe not. Or Sky is not broadcasting at high enough quality for LCD (read some bumph on this somewhere). Picture from PC is excellent so I think SKy/ TV output just doesn't suit LCD. Or I was just unlucky and got a worse set than yours!

4. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Leo,

I take it from your post that the picture is pixelled moderately, rather than just discernable.

If so, there must be something in your local setup which is responsible. My own setup uses a 5-year old Amstrad SKY box and a 10-metre SCART lead and yet the sky picture is beond reproach. Maybe you have a bad television but knowing Toshiba, I think this unlikely.

Where about in the UK are you?

5. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Am in Aberdeen - not the handiest of places! But if I call the Sky installers out surely they will just compare the Sony CRT picture to the LCD pic (in the family room) and just say it's the LCD's fault. I agree that replacing Tosh not a good idea. Buy maybe by "local setup" you mean there may be some other obscure tweak in Sky box that will improve LCD picture. I should stress thay Sky picture is not by any means terrible, just not as good as I was hoping for. Even DVD via RGB scart not very good - maybe using Component input would help but my existing DVD doesn't have this ouput so can't check it. Such a pity as the Tosh itself is, in my opinion, much classier than the competition at this price range or even above.

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How close are you to the Tosh? LCDs are usually only acceptable beyond 8 or 9ft - they will look worse close up, but as you move away can produce a more detailed picture (or a picture that is perceived to be more detailed). Also, have you tried a basic calibration using a THX optimizer that you'll find on many DVDs, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Monsters Inc etc?
    As far a Sky settings are concerned, the ones that make the most difference (and this is probably stating the obvious but worth a shot) are RGB output (essential), contrast (which can be Low, Medium or High - try all three). Otherwise, can you borrow someone else's Sky digibox? (with signals that strong it can't be the dish, but it could be the digibox) Is it possible that the Tosh is showing up flaws that your old Sony doesn't?

7. leo9

leo9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

Am 7 ft away - afraid there's no space in the room to move out further unless I put the set in the garden. Plus I wanted to use as PC monitor and 7 ft is quite good for legibility of PC text.

Haven't tried THX optimizer (or even heard of it!) but will give it a go for DVD.

As for Sky, have tried all possible options apart from throwing it out the window. Will try swapping digiboxes but could be tricky.

Finally spoke to Toshiba tech support this morning and he told me a good CRT (mine's a Sony WEGA) still gives better pictures than LCD for "conventional" stuff like Sky and TV. I had this nagging feeling all along despite recent reviews in What Hi-Fi etc. saying how LCDs had improved in past year. You could be right though - LCD is showing flaws that CRT "covers up" but, if it is, then I still end up with worse picture on LCD. One exception - LCD pix from computer graphics DVDs (Shrek, Monsters Inc etc.) are very good. Think LCDs just aren't quite as good when showing flesh tones, faces etc.

Will try swapping Sky digibox - thinks that's the best bet. Cheers.

8. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth trying another Sky digibox, just in case (even though it may be a bit of a faff to organise). One other thing is "sharpness". LCDs flaws can be emphasised if sharpness settings are too high - worth carefully adjusting this setting (it may be disguised under "Colour detail enhancer" or "active vision" settings). Sometimes too much processing can give a very artificial picture. Try various "minimum" settings to see if it makes an improvement.

9. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    from the first post it seems u will not like the picture of the lcd in respect to blockiness as this is the case with analogue signals. It will always b like so. picture is not as liek the crt as crt fades in some respect the blockiness say. With the lcd it shows picture so much that is not great.

hook up a dvd player with component or hdmi u will see the best picture no blockiness. As for normal tv lcd aint great at mo, untill proper hdtv released on normal tv viewing.