1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! Tosh strarta Review wanted!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by djg1, Feb 26, 2003.

1. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: hi

Has anyone got a copy of What video and widescreen Tv magazine's review on the Toshiba Strarta 32ZD26 they could send me and also usefull to everyone else by scanning .....please....!!!

thank you.

2. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry m8,
    You are going to go nuts but I kept it for ages and just binned it today. The bins were collected this morning sorry. The review was very good as was the What HiFi one etc. Hence I bought this TV. Thats when the problems started mainly the hummm problem that I have mailed about in the past.
    Have you bought it yet or are you thinking of buying one ?

Davy

3. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet still deciding.

Have you noticed any digital blocking aroung sharp edges on yours then?

Every store i have seen the Tv has this.

is it bad ariel or just part of the picture. it seems to effect the likes of lettering on the screen etc.

do u not recommend it then?

Im looking at the following>
    Panasonic 32PB50
    Panasonic 32PL1
    and the TOSHIBA

4. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I havnt seen any digital blocking on it at all. Just been downstairs to look at the lettering it seems fine however I am using NTL cable so that may make a difference. I saw it in comet the 36ZD and the 36ZP beside each other and they looked totally different. The guy said that was down to their aerial. Seems a bit odd if they are trying to sell TV's that they use such a bad aerial.

I would recommend the TV very good picture just I have had problems with a humm/ buzz from the back. I am on my second one at present and its no better. I would say in its defence that I live in a really quiet cul-de-sac. The TV is placed up against a wall in a bay window and I have a wooden floor ie. everything reflects sound nothing to absorb sound.

Others say its normal to buzz I dont accept that as my old TV didnt so I am undesided what to do ie. get another exchange or upgrade to 36" and try again. This TV is very good due to its component inputs, and is very neat when you place your AV equipment underneath in the cabinet NO DUSTING needed.

Davy

5. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear your still having problems.

I know 100htz TV's mostly always look good with sky and dvd's but...

Can u tell me, when u play a Video, what is the picture quality like compared to a normal 100htz Tv which has not got the Active and more impotantly PROG SCAN modes on them?

I recently tried a video on my brother Panasonic PL10, (normal 100htz set with no prog scan mode) and the picture was terrible.
    I tried different settings on the TV including taking the NR off, but it still looked bad.

When u activate Prog scan mode when playing a video is it as clear a quality as a normal 50htz set or is it the same as when the Tv is in normal 100htz mode?

Secondly.... when watching fast panning or moving action like sports and football etc.. With Prog scan on, does this get rid of all the blurryness and slightly soft and not very sharp picture you see on most normal 100htz sets?
    and with this ON is it more like the stable and clear 50htz TV but without the fliker?

Sorry i know i am asking alot.... but in your opinion and from what u have seen
    and fianlly... which one should i buy?

Toshiba 32Zd26 (like yours)
    Panasonic 32Pb50
    or Panasonic 32PL1 (50htz set).

THANX DAVID.

much appreciated.
    DAZ

6. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Can u tell me, when u play a Video, what is the picture quality like compared to a normal 100htz Tv which has not got the Active and more impotantly PROG SCAN modes on them?

The picture is as good as I would expect with a video ie. analogue signal, nothing wonderful but no worse than the picture on the TV it replaced which was a 21" approx JVC 4:3 TV. The prog scan does not appear to make much of a difference to be honest. It works at 50Hz on the Tosh where as the other 3 modes work on 100 Hz

When u activate Prog scan mode when playing a video is it as clear a quality as a normal 50htz set or is it the same as when the Tv is in normal 100htz mode?

As above I would say the same really.

Secondly.... when watching fast panning or moving action like sports and football etc.. With Prog scan on, does this get rid of all the blurryness and slightly soft and not very sharp picture you see on most normal 100htz sets?

This is an interesting one as I spent 3 rugby matches worth at the weekend flicking from one mode to the next, I felt in ways the Prog scan may have had the edge but at other times I thought it didnt. I also noticed a difference in picture quality from one camera angle to the next so I feel the cameras they were using were not very good or their signal was poor from one camera to the next. The prog scan did seem to make the grass slightly sharper but I have looked at a couple of TV's and I still feel that the picture on this TV is better than any other 100Hz TV I looked at. There was really very little blurryness at all and no soft edges etc. that I did notice on a few other TV.'s this included the Philips pixel plus system.

Another point I am probably trying to make here about videos and cameras etc. is the picture is only as good as the source. Video quality will not be great compared with DVD. DVD through composite is poor compared to SVHS as compared to SCart as compared to Scart RGB and at the top Component input which is fantastic. If you can view a DVD in component input then in scart RGB I definately did notice a difference here. You will need a DVD that outputs component though.

and with this ON is it more like the stable and clear 50htz TV but without the fliker?

Again do not notice any flicker with this set at 50 or 100 Hz.

As for what to buy from your list. I have not watched the Panasonics that you mention so I could not say. Maybe someone else can help you on that one.

Up against the Philips (cannot remember model no) that What HiFi said either beat or almost beat this Tosh I definately would go for the Tosh. The component input sold it for me the fact it had prog scan was a bonus. The pixel plus system I was not overly impressed as fast movement seemed to confuse it and I noticed some jumpiness in picture with slight shaddowing on images. Turn the pixel plus off and it seemed fine. I think Phillips need a faster processing system then Pix + will be ahead of the game.

The price was also much better on the Tosh.

Only downfall is the humm an ever increasing number of people seem to be complaining about. My brother has the Philips and its so quiet compared, but maybe I have just had two bad ones.

Good luck and good viewing.

PS where are you thinking of buying it from and how much have you seen the Tosh for ?

Toshiba 32Zd26 (like yours)
    Panasonic 32Pb50
    or Panasonic 32PL1 (50htz set).

7. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry ment to say Svideo input not SVHS before I get a grilling off someone telling me thats not an input varient.

dAvy

8. djg1

djg1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currys! dixons etc...

Have no choice!!!

My old tv has been written off and have now got 1000 pounds to spend in vouchers.

But obviously if the tv was more then i would add the cash to it (OR on CREDIT more likely! lol)

Thnaks for the reply.

One more thing though....

I realise that DVD playback is obviously the best form of playback for quality as long as it is through a good input i.e. componant.
    However alot of my stuff is on Video, and i will be using this alot.
    So in your opinion is the Tosh (either in 100htz mode or Prog Scan) as good as a normal 50htz TV at playing Vids? Quality wise that is?
    As from waht i have seen on most 100htz tends to be soft, but most of all grainy and u can see alot of digital artifacts at play compared to a normal 50htz TV that is which is good at this because u dont see all the digital artifacts just as picture was to be intended to be shown.

Whats your video play back like?

9. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hu Djdi

Just to throw my twopenneth worth in, I bought a 32ZD26 just before Christmas and I an very impressed with the picture quality from all sources. It is (in my opinion) the best picture I have seen on a TV and I totally agree with what the What TV/Hi fi review said about it.

As other people have said, the quality of the picture depends a lot on the quality of the source, and the video picture is the same as watching the original broadcast. I have a freeview box and the quality seems a little better than just the notmal tv picture as the freeview broadcasts seem to handle widescreen better.

I dont think you need to worry about the VHS quality as mine is very good.

Sorry to hear about your buzzing sound problems DavidHunter. I listen to the TV with the sound routed through my amplifier and the TV sound muted and I can definently hear NO buzzing at all, even with the amplifier switched off, so it would seem that you have maybe just been unlucky with your two TV's.

Hope you get it sorted, but I can definently recommend this TV.

Gray

10. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like an effect that does happen on the XX26ZDP models if the picture is running in picture mode 1 or picture mode two. I think it's a side effect of the digital processing, which gives a falsely sharp picture.

Can make the TVs look great in showroom conditions but is a big no-no for domestic use... where picture mode 3 is the only one worth starting with when doing your calibrating.

11. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    DJG1 I think the last 2 posts have summed it up for me. I too have a lot of video material and I do still watch them and have absolutely no complaints about the picture quality. I always wonder about this picture mode 1,2,3 and M. I found that it does not seem to matter which one you start off with as it instantly reverts to M for memory ie your own personnal settings. Are there other processes going on in mode 1 and 2 that I dont know about? besides the contrast being stupidly high on 1 and well cant remember what is the stupid set up on 2. Anyway use M and make your own adjustments.
    I just found another problem with what was my first one and now this one. The first TV did not auto switch my scart connections the new one does. The first one made a very funny almost metal elastic spring sound when turned off from the main screen the new one doesnt and thirdly the black stretch on/ off is the wrong way round on this one ie. I press on and the black becomes lighter strange !!
    The buzz is still there and it comes from the transformer or gun so its not a problem with the speakers but I am eventually going the full 5.1/ 6.1/ 7.1 route hopefully with a pioneer VSAXD2011 receiver once the TV is sorted.

DJG1 should have also mentioned that the sound is also very good on the TV with extra base boost etc. as needed.

Davy

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't recall the names Tosh gives their processing 'features' but basically, mode 1 has two of them applied and mode 2 has one of them applied. They cannot be switched off in these mode selections, they are permanently there.

Mode 3 is effectively the 'off' button for these processing features and is definitely the mode to go to BEFORE you make your manual user adjustments.

Whichever mode you're in when you make the adjustments will be the one saved (as M-, the 'current' mode) once you hit 'exit' and come out of the set-up menu. That's why it's important to do set-up in mode 3 from scratch. From then on, you can do minor tweaks in mode M-.

I still have to take a double look at some of the pictures I've seen on my Tosh, they're that good.

13. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to confirm the above.

I took delivery of a 32zd26P two days ago, I had a friend round to help me put it into position,my girlfriend and her sister waited with baited breath as I switched it on and put it into auto tune..........THAT LOOKS CRAP........was the cry as BBC 1 popped up, I quickly flicked through the channels and they all looked terrible....:( I quickly blaimed it on the quality of the input signal, although I was worried as I had seen a few 100Hz tv's and usually they do look pants IMO. I thought the mags and forums must have it wrong, its a scam to make you go and buy a Tosh...they all have crap pictures really but wont admit it....they,re all laughing at me...:laugh: NOOOOOOO. I then took my medication and decided to scan the forums for set up info...picture mode 3? I ran down stairs had a quick scan of the manual to find out how to change the picture mode.....:clap: :clap: the picture suddenly looked 10 times better maybe a little dark but at least I now had a good point to start tweeking from.

As for progressive scan mode, I will admit, I am a little confused. I understand that through my Tosh 520 when playing NTSC discs I can toggle between Prog & interlaced on my player and I must say in PS mode DVD's look brilliant. Its the bit that states progressive mode is only 50Hz & Natural,active & 100 Hz are all 100Hz modes?.

so buy watching moveis via component in progressive scan and terestrial in proggressive mode (50Hz) is the 100hz a waist of time, am I miising the point? can anyone explain

Finally the only problem I seem to have is the Top black bar sloping down to the right everything else seems spot on and as for buzzing, I muted the TV while watching late last night and I couldn't hear a thing...maybe I was lucky

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to hear you got a good one Jayb :)

Your points above:

1. Mode 3 does seem 'dark' at first as the brightness and contrast are too low in the factory settings. As you have probably already done, just raise these - usually to 50 - 58 contrast and 48 - 55 brightness depending on your TV's service menu set up.

2. In all honesty, I only ever watch my Tosh in prgress mode so I guess, in some ways, you're right, the 100hz modes are a bit of a waste of time. I'm sure some people prefer them though, as the progress mode does sometimes display the slightest, tiniest flicker of large areas of bright colour (which 100hz removes completely). I find this flicker only on Sky TV (which, ironically, looks better in 50hz anyway).

3. Your sloping black bar could well be cured from the 'geomagnetic' control in the regular menu. It works very well for a simple correction to 'sloping' images.

15. Jayb

Jayb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    juboy, yes I have increased both contrast & brightness and the picture looks great.......:smashin:

Am I right in thinking that progressive mode at 50hz will give you a better picture than 50hz interlaced. If this is the case maybe you need the 100hz to give the pal progress efect? as i have just read on a previous thread, Toshiba state that this TV has not got a built in deinterlacer, do any 50hz TV's have a progressive mode for terestrial.

I had a quick look in the menu and couldn't find anything relating to 'geomagnetic' only picture position, is this what you mean? I have the 32ZD26 I seam to remember a thread stating the 36ZD26 has some setting to twist the picture, do you have 36" (oooeeerr miissus.....:laugh: )

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could well be right. To be honest, nobody seems to know exactly what happens when you engage 'progress' mode... only that it does run at 50hz and is some kind of line doubler effect.

All I know for sure is that the picture is excellent :smashin:

Oh, yeah, sorry, I think it is just on the 36" :blush:

You can go into the service menu to sort out the sloping picture though. Do you know how to get into it? The parameter you need to change is 'CSAW'. As long as you make a note of the original setting, just use a test disc or your Sky main EPG page (nice straight lines to work form) and change the setting manually until it looks level to you.

17. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    jayb
    YOur right the 32 doesnt have the geomagnetic adjustment. But there was another thread that allowed you to access the service menu and I remember reading that you can adjust it from there for that slope problem similar to the way you can adjust the picture on your PC monitor.

Davy

18. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry all should have read the last mail before I repeated what it said Dooohhh