1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Tosh 36ZP18 - Excellent TV but ...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by aqureshi, Oct 13, 2001.

1. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am getting this model next week.
    Can you please explain to me How do I need to check if my set have the same problems as yours and also what do u mean by video Essentials or the Ultimate DVD platinum discs.
    Sorry to ask u very basic question.How do u get White purity screen.

Cheers

2. the_saints

the_saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... I wish I could get one that was OK !!!

I have had several sets now but each one has suffered from a staining and feint vertical bars at either side of screen (approx 1" in).

The staining is sort of dark patches which show up on the blue screen or if you have Video Essentials or The Ultimate DVD Platinum discs it shows up on the white purity screen. I have had visits from the engineer who agrees that there is a problem but there is nothing he could do but reject the set. So after several sets I am now undecided what to do.

The TV is excellent. Each set I have had had exhibited very good to excellent geometry, no flaring etc. I just have this screen purity problem. The only speakers near them are shielded and the last set was initially tested in isolation from the rest of my AV in a separate location but still had the problem. On each set the major dark cloud has been in a different position - bottom LHS, Top RHS, middle to and bottom and top LHS.

I noticed that in this month What Video in the Video Clinic section they mention that there has been a batch problem with some Tosh superflat 32" and 36" tubes ("Tosh Has The Blues" Page 104)

Has anyone else had this problem.?

Before getting another set is there anything a Tosh Engineer could do?

As I say apart from this the TV is excellent. Trouble is its not a problem you can live with as it shows on programs with light backgrounds e.g. football and especially cartoons.

At worst what alternative is there to this set - has the new Panasonic 36PB50 got rid of the PG problems?

:confused:

3. the_saints

the_saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll see the purity problem straight away. I have the contrast level very low and can still see it.

Video Essentials and Ultimate DVD Platinum are DVDs which provide the necessary tools to setup the TV.

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's probably useful to ask 'Does anyone NOT have this problem?'

I've got the 36" Tosh, which also has the vertical bars down either side, and a slight blu-ish patch in the top left. Most of the time, I don't notice either. When I do, it's when there's a light colours background.

I asked an engineer about both problems, and he reckoned that it was sumptom of a large CRT, and the technology isn't quite there yet. He also suggested that the blu-ish patch may disappear once the phosphors 'wear in'. I'm not convinced though, but I thought I'd give it a chance.

So, does anyone out there NOT have these problems with the picture?

Incidentally, does the WhatV&TV article suggest that this is a fault in the production of the tube?

Nigel.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard about the staining on white backgrounds but when are these vertical lines visible, how thick are they and do they run the length of the screen?

I demo'd one in Comet and didn't recall seeing anything on their 36" model but I will go back and check.

6. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have had my set for about 4 months, having got the first one into my local Currys and am very happy with it. Since lurking here I have looked for the bars, but not seen them (even on an unused AV input blue screen).

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am on my third set, first smashed, second unwatcheable on analogue and geometry poor.
    Current set has near perfect geometry(Some variability but I think it could be the source camera when it is out).
    Set still seems overexposed at times particularily on analogue, but I have gone around a lot of showrooms and convinced myself that all widescreens by all manufacturers do the same to some degree and am now very happy.
    No sign of any staining or vertical bars

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm on my second panny 32pk25 and this also has the darker vertical bars on the side. I'm getting rid of it and trying something else - either a hitachi or a sony next

9. the_saints

the_saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great - I wanted someone to confirm that some sets do not have this problem.

As a matter of interest how many people

1) have this problem
    2) have had their Tosh replaced (for any reason)

10. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ken,

Did your previous sets have the vertical bars and/ or staining? Not necessarily all the time, just against light backgrounds?

Nigel.

11. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ken,

Did your previous sets have the vertical bars and/ or staining? Not necessarily all the time, just against light backgrounds?

Nigel.

12. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The first set wasn't even lifed from the box.

The second set had a problem with the analogue tuner and geometry wasn't brilliant, but on neither this one or my current third one have I noticed any colour staining or faint vertical bars. I cant say that I have looked that hard though, but there is nothing obvious.

13. tam@laras.demon.co.uk

tam@laras.demon.co.uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am on my second set.
    The staining is much better than on the first set I had.
    I do have a problem whereby black levels are not consistant across the screen now, this is only noticeable at night though so difficult to get an engineer out to.
    Interestingly enough I went to Live 2001 at the NEC recently where Toshiba exibited, thay have a large number of sets on their stand, both 32" and 36", none of which showed the staining.

14. Splimcity

Splimcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slightly straying from your subject, I have a 32ZP18P and recently (a month or so ago) posted some problems with my set, the biggest of which is when backgrounds are dark, light areas moving around the screen leave green trails behind them, as if the green phophors do not let their light go quickly enough.

DoubleDoom suggested it could be my eyesight (cheek!:eek :). I have shown a number of people and they all notice it (it is very distracting once you've seen it).

Whilst I await an engineer, I thought I would find out if any of you have a similar type of problem?! :confused:

15. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Had a hard look at my set last night whilst using my 210 dvd player with the component inputs in use.
    On the blue screen that you get when paused there are slight variations on the screen and feint darker bands up the sides. I had not noticed these on other single colour screen sources. Try as I might though and I have not noticed these on any actual normal display of an image?

Could this be reflections of electrons from overscanning of the picture bouncing off the sides of the tube and creating inteference patterns of slightly darker areas on the screen face? Maybe the picture has to be of a uniform colour to cause the effect?

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since hearing about this whathifi magazine review about the probelms I have been having a close look at my set.

On the blue screen i can indeed see large patches of grey around the right and left side of the screen, should this screen look totally blue?.
    On normal picture ie watch tv or sky etc i cannot see these.

Can someone post what this whathifi review says?.
    Should the blue screen be totally blue??.

TIA

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar problem on my trusty 24" Hitachi 4/3 set. There is a small patch on the lower left hand side of the screen. The funny thing is it only shows up after the screen has been displaying white for a longish time. For a short time after it shows up as discolouration of the picture.

Interestingly it fades away after a short time. My personal theory is that the phospher in this patch is displaying a kind of memory effect and luninessence (sp?) kinda like glow in the dark stuff. You give it a bright light source (or white picture) which activates it for a short time making it emmit a glow for a short time.

Anyway, it is possible the Toshiba's have a similar issue and that this discolouration is caused and only viewable when using pure white/blue test screens. Just a theory anyway.

Interestingly, noone has mentioned anything about the 32" Picture frame sets. Do they have a similar issue ? or do less people in this forum own one ?

I'm thinking of getting one in the near future so would be interested.

18. sc00by

sc00by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 32ZP18P and although I don't have vertical bars on a blue screen I do get a blue vertical bar on the LHS of the screen and an orange vertical bar on the RHS when displaying a light background.
    I've also noticed the image flicker as if what is being displayed is undulating. This only happens occasionally but it's very off putting. The set is pretty quiet but I get a buzz when displaying Cinema or Subtitle size screens.
    The 'engineers' came out today (I'm old enough to be their father and I'm only 32) to look at it and acknowledged it's a problem (as if they'd know) so it's going back for a swap.

Cheers

Sc00b

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious. Where do all these 'swapped' out TV's go? Do they end up getting re-circluated as new TV's to people that can't discern stains or faint lines?