Answered Help! Torn between Sony KD55XD9305BU & Samsung UE55KS7000

Alphatyrant

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Probably going to be the end of the month before I splash out on a new set so fingers crossed the sale prices are still valid. Interested to hear opinions on these sets, both are favourably reviewed by What Hifi. My first instinct was the Samsung yet it seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere, the Sony one is available but costs an additional £400, for that I'd be as well purchasing the larger Samsung model.

Mostly going to be used for UHD discs and possibly 4K netflix with a smattering of gaming thrown in.

Any advice you lovely people you?

Al

Think about the KS8000 too, can get it on sale at richer sounds right now with a UHD Blu-Ray player.

I would rank the Sony on a par with that model. But the Sony just hasn't seen the same reductions.

Will consider that too mate, thanks for the input. I'm going to wait until I can pick up the Panasonic DMP-UB900 next month for 4k discs. Damn 7000 model though, seems like they must be on the verge of discontinuing it . By the way in regards to viewing distance I'm only going to be around six feet from it, does that raise or solve issues?

Sorry to bug you but you seem to be a good source of info.

Al

I was in similar dilemma, saw the Sony KD55XD8599BU at £899 and the KS7000 at £849 at Richer Sounds.

Picture quality wise, the blacks on the Sony are so much better and going from a Panasonic Plasma it was a no brainer - Sony all the way. The Android interface is pretty quick as well.

To me the Sony looked more natural, it had the Panasonic on right and Samsung on left. Panasonic blacks were grey...

Samsung had their super tweaked demo feed running which was very bright, the Sony was natural, closest to my plasma.

I found the Samsung tooo bright, it should be in picadilly circus.

I originally had set out to buy the KS7000 but changed after seeing them. Sony looks less 'tacky' than the silver ks7000 imo.

Definitely go and see them for yourself before buying.

Thanks for all your information. Being an owner of Sony TV's over the years has pushed me in the direction of that model.

You're welcome, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I used to be a Sony owner many years ago, then went LG (budget based) followed by Panasonic (Plasma) now back to Sony.

For the record, I saw and ordered the KD55XD8599BU, at £899 in Richer Sounds.

I did not see 9305BU

It's on there, unfortunately a tad more expensive at £1299. Hell I found a receipt a couple of days ago from John Lewis for a 32" Sony LCD at £1200....Of course that was from 2006 though

Depends if you are a gamer or have much hdr content. I believe the 8599 is an 8 bit panel and 9305 is a 10 bit one.

One reason the Sony got my vote was it comes in black where as the ks7000 is in shiny gloss silver.

The Sony has a better refresh rate for gaming. Better blacks (imo), Samsung is more vivid and bright.

The 9305 if in budget is good option.

Apps wise the are the same except for Sony has a 7 day playback option (forgotten what they call it). It's android/google based which 'will become' market leader eventually. Has chromecast builtin

9305 out of my budget so either the 8599,lg 850 or the 7000 but don't wanna buy a stand for the 7000 really

Fair enough, the LG was never in the running for me personally, so didn't even consider it.

Is stand is defo a no go... then 7000 sounds like it out for you.

Pop and see them all together once before deciding. The Samsung uses demos feeds only which are tweaked, you should see a normal feed on them all if possible

Sorry to overtake this guys thread,what's the football like on it if you've watched it

The 9305 is gettable for £1179 via RS if you get them to price match coop electrical and take the extra £20 off that they do.

9305 out of my budget so either the 8599,lg 850 or the 7000 but don't wanna buy a stand for the 7000 really

The Sony XD85 and LG 850 are not in the same class as the other TV's.

In order of overall value(imo)
Samsung KS7000>Samsung KS8000=Sony XD93xx>LG 850v>Sony XD85xx

The Sony XD85 and LG 850 are not in the same class as the other TV's.

In order of overall value(imo)
Samsung KS7000>Samsung KS8000=Sony XD93xx>LG 850v>Sony XD85xx

As the 7000 seems to be rarer than hen's teeth at the moment, would you say there are any particular reasons for picking the 8000 over the 9305 or vice versa? My viewing distance is around 4-5 feet and I'll be primarily using UHD discs (when I get a player), standard Blus, occasional gaming and 4K Netflix if my crappy internet can handle it.

Probably going to be the end of the month before I splash out on a new set so fingers crossed the sale prices are still valid. Interested to hear opinions on these sets, both are favourably reviewed by What Hifi. My first instinct was the Samsung yet it seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere, the Sony one is available but costs an additional £400, for that I'd be as well purchasing the larger Samsung model.

Mostly going to be used for UHD discs and possibly 4K netflix with a smattering of gaming thrown in.

Any advice you lovely people you?

Al
Best 49-50 inch TV of 2016 | S21

Hell, that makes me more interested in the Samsung again. This TV buying malarkey is a nightmare.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom