1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - too much bass.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by JIT, Dec 10, 2003.

1. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ok, having had a Servo 15 for a few days now and getting it set up i find that it produces too much very low bass - is there anyway i could reduce this?

It is fine with stereo music but for movies i have it 9dB higher than for music as i feel that there is not a lot of output near the crossover with my Tannoy R3's which is set at 80Hz.

I have done a sweep with Avia and the sub drops away between say 60Hz and 40Hz and then becomes very noticeable from 35Hz to 25Hz.

I do not have a SPL meter so my system is not calibrated exactly which may be causing some problems.

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    have you tried different room placements? I have mine between my front speakers about 10" from the wall. Different rooms certainly make a big difference. I took mine down to a friends at the weekend to try it out in his system which is better than mine in terms of amp and main speakers, but we struggled to get a really good sound from the Servo - a lthough we were a bit stuck for placement in the room. It sounded very boomy in certain positions and in the end we turned it down compared to the volume I had it set at home.

Chris

3. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sounds very much like a room problem. As been suggested, try different placement.

Also remember that if you use a Radio Shack SPL (recommended buy for any Home theater owner) to measure, set the sub a few db *lower* than the reading as the RS doesn't measure correctly with low freq.

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am in the process of trying different room positions right now and a SPL Meter is going to be my next purchase.

I am balancing it with my main speakers by listening to a CD in stereo with speakers set to large and sub off and then repeating this with speakers set to small and sub on with the crossover set to 80Hz.

By doing this i have it sounding good with music but for DVD i have the sub set 9dB higher which is fine until there is some serious bass and this is when i feel that it is just too much.

What i need to do is find a position which reduces the very low frequencies slightly while still providing me with good bass.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious as to why you're cranking the volume output up by 9dB when you listen to movies!?

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    There's always the BFD (Behringer Feedback Destroyer) option - search this forum for a wealth of information on the subject.

7. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I feel that if i leave my receiver setup for CD with sub at -9dB then there is very little bass. I know that now i have quality bass this is sometimes perceived as less which is due to lack of distortion.

I haven't had the sub a week yet so i'll give myself time to get used to the new bass i am experiencing.

I have read about the BFD and may consider buying/borrowing one.