1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - too many choices

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mousecatia, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mousecatia

mousecatia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having made the decision to buy a 36" CRT, I am somewhat baffled by the choice.
    I have narrowed it down to 3, they are :-
    Toshiba 36ZP46P
    Panasonic TX36PL32
    JVC 36P38
    Do all the TVs have progressive scan capabilities ?
    Which one has the best picture size options ?- i hate watching a programme where the characters have been compacted vertically.

Basically, which one is best - and why ?

I am running a Denon AVR2803 amp, Pioneer DV565A DVD, 2 video recorders and an Xbox.
    I watch mostly normal TV - no satellite or Freeview but like to watch good quality DVD movies.

Please give me some help on this, its driving me nuts ! :suicide:

Thanking you,

Mousecatia.

2. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toshiba definately does have prog scan - i dont know about the others

the panny has been discontinued, so that might be worth baring in mind

the tosh comes as a zp48 as well, which has dolby digital built in if you wanted it..

all of them should have modes to make 4:3 tv look 4:3. however i'd advise getting freeview, as most tv shows these days are recorded in 16:9, and with a freeview box you can pick up full screen pictures

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Perusing other posts here the JVC also does progressive scan, in PAL and NTSC.

Which one is best? Thats down to personal taste. IMV the Tosh picture has a much richer and warmer look to it over any competition due to the specifications of the CRT gun o/p's. However it still rates as a high regard set with rather good sound to boot.

I'm not familiar with the Panasonic set but those with the Quintrix SR tube normally give a fine picture.

To be honest it is a waste of time buying a widescreen set if one is just going to utilise the inbuilt analogue tuner as NO programmes are broadcast in widescreen so everything will appear stretched, except Channel 4 that uses PAL+ to zoom the image. Of course one can select 4:3 mode but then your losing/wasting screen area.

However if this is your prime objective you need to know which sets provide a good analogue signal and picture along with AV i/p's. It's not a disaster if theres not enough AV i/p's as most equipment can be daisy chained together.

4. mousecatia

mousecatia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help and comments, having visited Sevenoaks HiFi and also Stratford HiFi, they have managed to convince me that CRT is not the way to go because of the approaching HDTV. There appears to be an issue with very few people even manufacturing these type of sets now.
    This has resulted in me looking again at 42" plasmas, with a budget of £2000 approx.
    I am still somewhat concerned that watching "normal" TV - ie analogue or Freeview will show the screen in a bad light - no pun intended, ie, blocking, pixelating, shadowing etc - particularly on sporting events such as motorsport and football. As I watch predominantly normal TV and occasional DVDs is this a concern ?

I am currently considering the Hitachi 42PD7200 or the Samsung PS42S5HX.

Any thoughts ?

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    HDTV is certainly on the horizon but I can't see it making any great strides into homes for a quite a few years. Ok Sky will be broadcasting A (1) channel next year with I dare say more to follow, but how soon and what force will they appear?

I reckon by the time HDTV is a tour-de-force audio visual technology would have advanced significantly and therefore anything you buy now will both be expensive and out performed by tomorrow's offerings.

I agree CRT is in the demise as manufacturers concentrate their efforts into newer technology's (LCD... old hat but new concept and Plasma) but until those technology's actually outperform CRT and/or compete on price I'm not sure that is the way to go.

The larger the screen is the more defects it will show up with the current TV resolution whether digital or analogue. The price you currently pay for a truly exhilarating DVD experience. How terrible it will look I'm not sure but just recently viewed a 37" LCD Loewe TV via Freeview and motion artefacts were clearly visible. You really need to ask this question in the LCD/Plasma section.

6. gunsnroses76

gunsnroses76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was gonna get the panasonic 36pl32 at one point but i kept looking at pics of it and i thought the design was ugly big ugly speakers on the sides and sound wise its not a patch on toshiba 36zp48 which has component and dolby digital built in, has a optical tosh link on the back aswell better design, only thing that that panasonic is supposed to be better is in the picture quality but having said that i dont see whats wrng with the toshba picture its awesome, i dont know anythink about the jvc model tho, i always thoght panasonic and sony are the best make crt tvs but now after seeing the tosh its way up there with the best in the crt range.

7. Passerby

Passerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny TX-36PL32 has "y-Pb-Pr" component inputs which accept both interlaced and progressive formats.

2x audio phono(RCA) connectors on rear next to "y-Pb-Pr" component inputs phono(RCA).

AV1 scart= RGB input + Composite in/out + audio
    AV2 scart= Composite in/out + S-Vhs input + audio
    AV3 front phono (RCA) Composite in and audio input via 2x RCA phono sockets +S-Vhs
    AV4 scart= RGB input + composite in/out + S-Vhs input + audio
    Also has Monitor only mode.