1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Help to set up PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gadjet, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hello

I have just received a new PC. The graphic card is ATI 9800 All in Wonder Card. The sound card is Creative Audigy 2 ZS. The dvd drive is Sony and finally the software for films is cyberlink powerDVD.
    The problem I am having is that the sound is only Dolby Surround. I can change it to DD or DTS only if I pay more. Is this correct? Do I have to install more software to be able to use my sound card.
    I am obviously not very good on PC. I have got 7 speakers all around me and no films are using tem. The sound card is supposed to use DD and EX and DTS and ES. Please help me get this PC to work at full potential.

Extemely grateful,
    Phill:confused:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    Are you using PowerDVD XP?

I had a version that would use the spdif fine, but if you patched it with an update, the sound wouldn't work, so I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it without adding the patch. It played fine after that.

I'm only using a Soundblaster 4.1, and you have to enable the digital output in device manager, otherwise the spdif option doesn't become available IIRC.

Gary.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The version of PowerDVD that comes bundled with a DVD drive is usually the 'OEM' version which is indeed limited to 2-channel sound.

If you go to the right-button menu, select Help | About and double-click on the graphic image on the left-hand side you'll get info about the version you have, you'll see "Audio Output Capability" and/or "Audio Decoder Capability", the latter will probably say 2.

You're right that you'd need to upgrade it if you want the DD/DTS decoder.

There's another option with the Audigy. If you open the Creative Surround Mixer, click Speakers and then Settings you'll get a small dialog which among other things has the option "AC-3 decode", that enables the Audigy drivers to decode Dolby 5.1 ... 'fraid what I'm not sure is what settings if any PowerDVD needs, but I have a hunch there aren't any.

4. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks,

I have been trying to get hold of Mesh through the week for "support" to help set up PC to use creative sound card properly. It is supposed to use dvd audio as well. Thats why I paid extra for, cant get through to them.
    I will have to take the pc downstairs and hook up to the pj(nec ht100) and the amp. I had help of Gary (cheers)a while back on how to get the picture through without having to use zoom which makes the picture not as good as the dvd, so I will read back There is an optical output from the card to the amp for sound so that should be ok. Looking forward to trying it.

But, still want it to work up in the bedroom as well. This is where my 2 girls can watch their dvd,s. Sorry to go on a bit, but with a PC after spending a lot of money for the extras you wonder why? because if you are not pc literate you cant get nowhere near the full use of it. With this "wonder card" it should record the tv (got that working) to the hard drive like a sky box, cant figure that out yet!

Thanks for your help on the sound, I will have to pay more,
    Phill

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sadly PCs are a long way from being plug-and-go, if they ever will be, I suppose that's why Microsoft are pushing the 'Media PC' as a pre-built ready-to-run system .. while that'll work it'll never provide as good results as a hand-tweaked system, OTOH if you're not technically minded it's a damned sight better. :)

I'm not totally convinced you need to pay for the advanced PowerDVD, since the Audigy does have a Dolby decoder in it.

I'm trying to remember just what that 'AC-3 Decode" option does with the Audigy and how to trigger it .. the only thing I remember is setting it before I used the SPD/IF to connect to my a/v amp and having to unset it when I switched to digital output .. hope another Audigy user can help you with it, I'm sure the Audigy has the ability to decode a DVD into 5.1 it's just figuring how to make PowerDVD use it.

Maybe selecting SPD/IF in PowerDVD but setting "AC-3 Decode" in the Audigy gets you 5.1 out of the soundcard?

6. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use powerdvd - I use windvd - but I have got an Audigy2 ZS. I seem to remember that by default the built-in DD/DTS decoder is enabled. To use it I just set the output of windvd to S/P DIF. It should be the same for powerdvd.

You mentioned DVDAudio - your right the ZS does come with a player for this. Just go to the Creative directory in your Start menu and you should find the player in there.