Help to set up AV System

cigarkid

Standard Member
I’m looking for someone locally who could set my system up for me. I’m paralysed from my shoulders down and can’t do it myself. I’ve tried to explain to my carers’ what to do, but it’s not that easy. I’ve recently bought a BK Gemini subwoofer and Cambridge Audio CD Player to add to a Pioneer VSX-D812 AV Receiver, a Pioneer DV-565A DVD Player, Sky+ and the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 speaker system. I know it’s not that big a job, but I’ve had the Gemini 5 weeks, and the CD Player 2, and I haven’t found anybody to connect them up yet. Obviously I understand there will be a charge, but I’m desperate. I live in Bewdley in Worcestershire about 3miles from Kidderminster.
Yours hopefully
cigarkid

Dankeech

Hi Cigarkid, I can imagine you're pretty keen to get this all connected up:clap: . With the equipment you've got it doesn't sound complex, as just sub, a couple of hifi components and a speaker system.

You're in the right place for asking and I hope there's someone close by who'll respond soon.

Maybe if I was nearer I'd be able to help, but unfortunately way too far or I would have been up for it, though sure there's ppl far more suitable for the task.

At least this response has bumped you to the top & best of luck with someone local, good and well-priced

Good day!

Dan.

Dan.

wokster

Unfortunately I am in Scotland - But to be honest with my knowledge I would probably break it anyway:rotfl:

Just thought I would move your post to the top again in the hope that someone can help you.

Good luck Kid:smashin:

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
cigarkid said:
I’m looking for someone locally who could set my system up for me. I’m paralysed from my shoulders down and can’t do it myself. I’ve tried to explain to my carers’ what to do, but it’s not that easy. I’ve recently bought a BK Gemini subwoofer and Cambridge Audio CD Player to add to a Pioneer VSX-D812 AV Receiver, a Pioneer DV-565A DVD Player, Sky+ and the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 speaker system. I know it’s not that big a job, but I’ve had the Gemini 5 weeks, and the CD Player 2, and I haven’t found anybody to connect them up yet. Obviously I understand there will be a charge, but I’m desperate. I live in Bewdley in Worcestershire about 3miles from Kidderminster.
Yours hopefully
cigarkid

if i lived anywhere near you there would not be a charge mate :)
:lease: someone go and help this guy, from what i have read it will only take max 30mins of your time if you live nearby.

go on, there must be some members in the area willing to help :thumbsup:

good luck with your system CK :smashin:

CTR_Paul

A quick bump for a good cause! Someone must live near Cigarkid to give him a hand...:thumbsup:

leenx002

Hey there

Same response I'm afraid, I live too far away but have done a quick check on Yell.com. Try the below as it sounds like they could do it?

Loom-Tech
The Old Vicarage Cottage, Neen Savage, Kidderminster, Worcestershire DY14 8JU
Tel: 01299 271407 Classification: Wiring & Assembling

Options: Map/Directions to Loom-Tech (1) Send Loom-Tech's (1) details to mobile Save Loom-Tech (1) to address book

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Good Luck

Normsky

Standard Member
Sorry - likewise distance too far but I was wondering if a kindly moderator would let you cross post this to other areas of the forum?

Or perhaps stick a little note on the forum homepage?

:thumbsup:

RustyZip

Hi CigarKid...

Hows it hanging?? :thumbsup:

Your guardian angel has arrived :D

I live near Stouprt-on-Severn, roughly 3 miles from you...

Cant say im really an expert, but i managed my setup!!

I can possible pop over on monday or tuesday evening if you like, and between us, im sure we can manage it... :)

No charge mate... If intrested, then please reply...

Carl Stock

Hey, cigarkid. :)

Nice setup you have there. :thumbsup:

Hope you manage to get it all sorted out by RustyZip soon. :)

I have to have help with my setups, but I fortunately do not have your problems. :( It is great when you can get someone to help you with setting up equipment. :clap:

Let us know how you get on with it when you can. :)

Enjoy! :)

Carl :)

Bee-Man

Rusty,

You are a champion.

I hope your kind gesture finds its way back to you in multiples.

Sincerely - Chris.. from about 10,000 miles due south east.

RustyZip

Bee-Man said:
I hope your kind gesture finds its way back to you in multiples.

Hey - All i want out of life is spiritual enlightenment !!?! :smashin:

hutch

Distinguished Member
RustyZip said:
Hi CigarKid...

I can possible pop over on monday or tuesday evening if you like, and between us, im sure we can manage it... :)

:D :thumbsup:

cigarkid

Standard Member
RustyZip said:
Hi CigarKid...

That would be brilliant. You can call me on 400374.
Yours
Darren

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
Rusty if your having issues i am often not to far from bewdley (kinver in fact) so let me know and i can see when i am next back in the area (if you fancy it you could have it calibrated by piers who is in telford and the closest "pro"

RustyZip

cigarkid said:
That would be brilliant. You can call me on 400374.
Yours
Darren

Great - I'll give you a call on sunday (if thats ok) to organise a day and time. :)
I take it, that the Tel code is Bewdley??

cigarkid

Standard Member
RustyZip said:
Great - I'll give you a call on sunday (if thats ok) to organise a day and time. :)
I take it, that the Tel code is Bewdley??
That's fine, and the code is 01299.
Thanks

RustyZip

Well, i popped over and we set to work on the equipment...

CD Player sorted !! No problem... Worked a treat...

But then we tried the subwoofer, and no matter what we tried we couldnt get it to work (no output at all - just hum) with the AV Amp, high level or low level inputs..
We did plug it directly into the DVD Player phono outputs and it worked, so we know that the sub is not at fault.. Im suspecting that its just an obscure setting in the Amp somewhere that we couldnt find...

If anyone is near Cigarkid (Bewdley, Worc's) please, if you could spare half an hour he would be most grateful... He's a good 'un, and a complete gent :)

Hornydragon - Im sure he'd appreciate a quick visit if your in the area soon... :smashin:

Sorry we couldnt get it all sorted Darren, but if you do find out whats wrong, or your friend tells you what he did that got it working for a while, feel free to get in touch and we can have another go.... :thumbsup:

Russell...

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
top stuff russell :thumbsup:

it could well be that the sub output is turned off in the speaker settings :thumbsup:

cigarkid

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
Rusty if your having issues i am often not to far from bewdley (kinver in fact) so let me know and i can see when i am next back in the area (if you fancy it you could have it calibrated by piers who is in telford and the closest "pro"

Hornydragon
if the offer is still there, please could you call me on 01299 400374. Thanks.
Also, big thanks to Rustyzip for his persistance, and all the guys who posted on here.
Cigarkid

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
I will have a ponder mate and see if i can think of anything and i will let you know next time i am local and see if i can pop over hmm working on the principle you set the 812 to LARGE speakers? did this over ride the sub outlet? try setting to small fronts and sub YES then if you can move the cut off about, (PS amp isnt in night mode is it?)

Carl Stock

I once found that an amp/sub responded after I simply changed some of the settings backwards and forwards.

Sounds daft, I know. :)

That has probably already been tried, though. :)

cigarkid

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
I will have a ponder mate and see if i can think of anything and i will let you know next time i am local and see if i can pop over hmm working on the principle you set the 812 to LARGE speakers? did this over ride the sub outlet? try setting to small fronts and sub YES then if you can move the cut off about, (PS amp isnt in night mode is it?)

Speakers were on small, sub setting was on and midnight loudness off. Beginning to wonder if the sub socket on the amp is damaged. But how do i check that out?
Cigarkid

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
erm not easy a multimeter will tell you if your gettign a voltage out of it (which it sounds like you arent) but that could be a setting.

Ianfromnotts

I had this same problem with a VSX-D2011 and the issue appeared to be with the auto set up. I dont know if this amp has the same system but on mine when it got to the subbase peak/max volume section it said all was ok but in reality it keeped setting it to no sub output. I had to physically adjust the peak base level to get the sub to work. Took me ages to suss out

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series